What do you collect other than miniatures?

Guest Happy Heart

I collect all kinds of toys! Fun ones from the 80's like Rainbow Brite, care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony and Pound Puppies are easy to find at thrift stores. I also collect composition dolls, specifically Shirley Temple ones. I have some Madame Alexander dolls, and a ton of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls-all from different makers and eras.

I also collect books, signed by authors and antique/vintage ones. . .

lots of little antiques too that I just love to put around my home-

Basically, I collect collections. :D

Are you interested in another Shirley Temple doll? I'm not home now but when I get home tomorrow I can dig her out and PM you with pics. She was my mother's. I think it's 18". I haven't seen it in years so I cant really grade it's condition. Let me know if you are interested

Sensible,safe reasons like that,I agree with,Holly,or because someone likes themselves in short hair,but some might be surprised how many women are still taught the nonsense of 'age appropriate' length and therefore think everyone else should follow it,even in this day and age when 'everything goes' is usually followed!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=age+appropriate+hair+length

If I want short hair,I want it because it suits my lifestyle or my looks,NOT because society says I'm too old for long hair!! Aaack!!! Maybe it's cuz I was a teenager in the crazy '70s,who knows?!

I am 55. If I only did what mainstream society felt was "age appropriate," I woudn't have two dollhouses, nor would I be communicating with their occupants. I wouldn't be going to rock concerts to see performers I already saw in my twenties, I wouldn't go on any carnival rides, and I wouldn't be surrounded by any of my stuffed animals that I can't live without!

Besides, no matter what I do, I am sure someone would have something to say about it, so if I have to do something, I might as well live as I please.

• Like 6

Aw,now yer just making me really nostalgic for my hair! :( It was only a few inches past my shoulders this time,but yeah,it got a little bit of everything in it whenever paint or glue were around!lol

Hey,I just remembered my new collection,since my cancer diagnosis-hats!! Thanx to friends and family I am getting up quite a collection of them! :D

• Like 1

Besides, no matter what I do, I am sure someone would have something to say about it, so if I have to do something, I might as well live as I please.

I grew up in a rather strict and straight-laced environment where teachers sat right beside God and enforced all the rules (or wrote new ones) when He was too busy. Not a good environment for a creative child with a vivid imagination!! So in early adulthood I was still afraid to think outside the box, or rock the boat. However, it didn't take me too long, after my school years, to realize I was not going to please everybody - nor was I obligated to please everybody. Therefore, as long as am pleasing God, the rest of the world can take me as I am or leave me alone! I love Popeye's song -- "I yam what I yam, and that's what I yam - I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just found and bid on my favorite doll designed by Bette Ball. I hope to win because I've wanted her since I was SIX and I saw the doll on QVC twice before selling out completely both times. Her name is Sabrina and she plays the aria from Madame Butterfly which is my personal favorite opera piece!

As for long hair, I am over 59 years old, and nearly sit on my hair. the only problem I have is it is a lousy paint brush. Must keep it tied back to keep it out of paint while painting dollhouses. :D :D

I can sit on mine too. I braid it, then tie the braid in a couple of knots to keep it out of the way. White glue wasn't too difficult to wash out, but I'd hate to get some of the other stuff in it, LOL! :)

• Like 1

Boxes-- I seem to collect boxes. But when I go to mail something, I can never find just the right size! :prop:

I have a few little Hagen Renaker dog figurines (bully dog is my favorite, and shar pei appears in many of my build pics); maybe someday I'll get around to acquiring a china cabinet with glass-paned doors like I've always wanted, and indulge my fondness for HR miniatures.

I used to collect Christmas Village houses, the kind with windows you could look into with scenes, also everything that goes with it, So at one time I had four, 6ft tables set up with houses, stores, city park, working fountain trees streetlights large pond , gazebo people, etc Oh yes long sheets of glass to reflect the lights, I loved to shut off the ceiling light and see the little city shine! I still have them but I have not set them up for years, the tables are holding up rather large dollhouses now LOL

I just won another doll on eBay and this one is very special. Her name is Angela and she is a 30 inch porcelain doll that plays Summer Time by George Gershwin. What is so special about her besides her height which is uncommon for a Goebel doll is that she is part of a museum's collection, the Doll Castle Museum to be exact. This makes four doll I own designed by Bette Ball that I know of that are in museums. Two I know which ones because it says where they are on their tags and certificates of authenticity but the third I do not know as she was made before Goebel started marking where their dolls in museums are located. The one museum has since closed but it is nice to have something you know that was part of a museum's history.Also got the other doll I won earlier this month on Friday and she is absolutely wonderful except the one flower came off of her shoe and it's nowhere in the box. But I still gave the seller a positive feedback rating as it probably fell off due to the doll being 22 years old and the glue holding it came undone. It's not the seller's fault and I am still pretty pleased as I have searched eBay for close to three years for her anyway and now I have her.