I am healing

heidiiiii

I am feeling so much better. Tomorrow will be a week since the surgery. I had bascially been in the bed resting until yesterday. I said enough with the PJs, I need fresh air.

I did NOT have a CSF leak as they thought. I had a very old and very bad infection in my right mastoid. It had eaten away at the bone and it was leaking out. That was what I was drooling, coming out of my nose and back of my throat. That is why I could never shake the never ending sniffles. As disgusting as this prospect is, I am happy to say that I am good now. The surgery was 4 hours long because the surgeon had to plug the hole, drain my inner ear, and clean out all the infection. I had a mastoidectomy. They said it took 45 minutes to fully wake me up in recovery. My butt didnt want to get up from such a restful sleep I guess.

This is me in the hospital with the cone of silence. It velcroed around the my head. It was used to protect my ear and back of ear, and collect any fluids. I did not have to wear it home. Somebody had velcroed my hair into it by accident. When I finally washed my hair on Sunday, I found a magic marker sized chunk of long hair dangling from a couple strands of hair. I am okay with it but how could have have happened? They had to shave my head but behind my ear. No big loss there. I know I am sounding vain about it but I am just lightening the mood.

My incision is so close to my ear crease that you will never notice it when it is all healed. It starts at the top of my ear all the way to the lobe. Some of my ear still has loss of sensation but they told me it will slowly come back. I can hear out of the ear and the ringing that I experience is much less. I have always had ringing but it had gotten really bad. Now it is down to a dull roar.

I am using Motrin for my pain. Did not really need narcotics for it which was strange. Fred is home to take care of me till the 1st. I told him he can go...LOL But he said NOPE! He wants to be home for turkey dinner this year. I drove the car yesterday. I went to take Chelsea to work because of the inclemant weather. It is about a mile there and a mile back so do not think I am over doing it. I wanted to get out! I was getting cabin fever.

I am not allowed to lift so Fred has to do all of that for me. Today I am going to make pies, the stuffing, and hard boil eggs for the deviled eggs we love so much.

I am thankful that it was found when it was because it could have turned out much worse. I am glad it is not CSF leaks because they could become ongoing. And I am glad I have my little family and all my friends far and wide that have come together to hope and pray that I had a good outcome.

I Did. I truly did.

• Like 6

Glad you're having cabin fever...it means you're getting better! I'm glad everything went well. Enjoy having Fred there with you. Maybe you can get him to watch some chick flicks with you. :)

• Like 1

I heard Natalie say something to Fred from the other room. I was like *What is that noise?*. I got a bit mad cause he was joking and saying that it wasnt for me. Finally he understood that i was freaked out because I clearly heard something. This is good. This means I am getting some of my hearing back in my ear from before,

I was worried I was going to lose hearing and I am gaining some back!

• Like 3

I haven't been on here much lately and just saw this! I am so glad to see that you are on the mend. That they were able to get it cleared up and that it wasn't CSF. Now just to take it easy and rest. Well as much as you can. I know that you want to do things. And congratuations on the increase in hearing! :banana: This must be such a blessed thing to happen. Guess Fred and the kids will have to be careful now about what they talk about! lol. I am so HAPPY for you!

• Like 1

Teresa, you know it. I can hear them clearly now. They are all mumblers anyway but now I can hear the mumble. They better watch out!

I have noticed some dripping out of my nose. I am not going to become alarmed about it just yet. It might just be the healing process. I have an appointment on Dec 10 I think and I will mention it to him. It is not like it was just before the surgery where I had to basically lay down all the time. It is just occasional. I know that IF it turns out I have a CSF anyway, it will have to be repaired.

I am NOT prepared for that at all. One skull surgery is enough for this chick. They will have to hog tie me to go for that one

So I will say a little prayer that it is truly just from the healing process.

Otherwise, I am doing pretty good. I still have bouts of pain on my right side of head but not too bad. I do not have to take anything for it because it is intermittent, I will update you on what is said at my follow up.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Heidi, I am so glad you are doing good. How did the appt on the 10th go. Keep us updated. I love your attitude about it all, your attitude has a lot to do with how quick you are recovering.

Hugs

Kellee