New in Alabama

jbmiller83

Hello everyone. My name is Joanna and I have recently been bit by the dollhouse bug. I fell in love with the Fairfield, and it's on it's way as we speak. I have never built before and would appreciate any advice. I plan on adding a second staircase to have access to third floor, hope I don't screw it up! Look forward to hearing from y'all and look forward to this new found passion.

Go to the General Mini Talk section and enter "beginner tool list" in the search engine and you will find a lot of useful info. We are here to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to ask. Good luck and take your time! Read the instructions several times BEFORE you begin. Resist the temptation to just jump right in and start building! Don't know where in are in 'Bama, I'm in Montgopmery and there are a few others here also.

Welcome to the little family, Joanna. I'm in Seminole, in Baldwin County; we moved here last August. I used the profile from the first floor stairs to make stringers for the second floor set and cut a stairwell hole in the third floor. N-scale tunnel facings and HO culverts worked really well for chimneybreasts, too. I ended up making all the furniture because the sets I'd bought from HBS turned out to be closer to 1:32 and didn't go with either the dolls or the other pieces I'd made from kits and scratch. Now I'm even more anxious for our messaging system to get fixed!

How far North in AL? DH & I are big fans of the Talladega National Forest and DeSoto State Park.

Are you talking to me? I am a tad south of Huntsville - like 10 miles. Are you in the neighborhood? I remember in another forum your mentioning where you live. I forgot.

Are you talking to me? I am a tad south of Huntsville - like 10 miles. Are you in the neighborhood? I remember in another forum your mentioning where you live. I forgot.

Yes, your location is North AL. We joined the Alabama Scenic Paddling Trail, but we haven't been to your area yet. We moved to Seminole a year ago August and live less than a mile from Pensacola, FL, and just a few miles north of Joanna.

Yes, your location is North AL. We joined the Alabama Scenic Paddling Trail, but we haven't been to your area yet. We moved to Seminole a year ago August and live less than a mile from Pensacola, FL, and just a few miles north of Joanna.

Oh you are south. Beautiful. The Alabama Scenic Paddling Trail. That sounds just fantastic. I remember, I think, you and your husband canoe and boat. My hubby and I like to hike in the beautiful trails in Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina when we have time.

Then you'll enjoy the Alabama Trail; we joined them when we moved here, we still belong to the Florida Trail Association, too. We've done a wee stretch of the Pinhote Trail, although I did more picking & snacking on the blueberries and blackberries than actual hiking... (we paddle kayaks)

Then you'll enjoy the Alabama Trail; we joined them when we moved here, we still belong to the Florida Trail Association, too. We've done a wee stretch of the Pinhote Trail, although I did more picking & snacking on the blueberries and blackberries than actual hiking... (we paddle kayaks)

When hubby retires, your activities are our dream activities - to go hiking, kayaking, and canoeing in this beautiful state. I am from New England, and that is one of the most beautiful places around, but Alabama looks so much like New England. I will tell hubby about these trails you mentioned. And picking blueberries and blackberries - wonderful! My hubby is a real dyed-in-the-wool Alabama boy and may know all about these trails. He has introduced me to trails in Tenn., No. Carolina, and Alabama. I cannot pronounce the names at this moment, but lovely. I do know that he accomplished the "Chimney" in Tenn. many years ago.

Lady Grey,

You wouldn't happen to be in Arab? I spent the first three years of high school in Huntsville and cycled to Arab a few times. If you like hiking, you have to visit Fiery Gizzard Trail near Monteagle, TN. It has several slippery and difficult areas just within the few first miles that I hiked back in the early 90's, but in those few miles I counted 7 stunning waterfalls, an abandoned coal mine and scenery that's too beautiful to describe.

I'll be driving through Alabama on I-10 in about 4 weeks, but don't know If we'll have time to stop and see anyone or anything.

Lady Grey,

You wouldn't happen to be in Arab? I spent the first three years of high school in Huntsville and cycled to Arab a few times. If you like hiking, you have to visit Fiery Gizzard Trail near Monteagle, TN. It has several slippery and difficult areas just within the few first miles that I hiked back in the early 90's, but in those few miles I counted 7 stunning waterfalls, an abandoned coal mine and scenery that's too beautiful to describe.

I'll be driving through Alabama on I-10 in about 4 weeks, but don't know If we'll have time to stop and see anyone or anything.

Hi pdnpeabody,

I have been watching your picture posts of your majestic esquisite castle you are constructing. It has been such a pleasure. What a masterpiece!

We live near the Huntsvill area - but not far from Arab. Funny you should mention the Fiery Gizzard Trail - David (hubby) wants to take me there in a couple of weeks. I will look for the lovely spots you mentioned. I also mentioned the trails Holly mentioned.

• Like 1

Jeremy, if you can't stop in either direction, the first I-10 interchange in AL has a terrific eatery your older kids might enjoy, the Derailed Diner. Take special note of the tables if you stop there, each one is glass topped with mini auto scenes set up in each one.

Holly,

We'll definitely have to stop at the diner on our way back. It will probably be around 1 or 2 on Jan. 1 when we get there. I still have your number, unless its changed. I'll give you a call and see about taking a detour to Seminole first on the return trip.