Wood for Building Mini Furniture

Gonzo

I need some suggestions. I am looking for wood for scratch building furniture. There are plenty of outlets in the area for cheap basswood and balsa, but I am looking for more exotic woods (walnut, mahogany, etc.). There are a couple of woodworking stores in the city that I use, but I am looking for less expensive outlets.

Where do you get your wood? Even if it is online and I need to buy in bulk, I am okay with that. Thanks!

Gonzo, walnut and mahogany sound wonderful - on paper, but they are extremely hard woods in texture and difficult to cut in RL sizes - I think it's going to be very difficult to cut in miniature. A softer wood might serve you better for cutting, and then use the hardwood veneer for trim, inlay or accent design. Unless you have major, major mini cutting tools (power and hand) :construction: this might not be the wood to work with (and it is expensive.) I think I might try getting a small piece of scrap from your local big-box store (Home Depot or Lowes check the dumpster if they won't give it to you) and practice with that first before you invest in the pricy wood.

p.s. I mostly get my wood from Hobby Linc they have a large variety of woods that come in every size imaginable and they sell in small lots and bulk. Extremely reasonable pricing. Here's the link:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/index.htm

Also, they have just about anything you might need in the way of supplies or tools.

Judith... thanks. I guess I should have explained that I am familiar with hardwoods from the RL woodworking that I do. My problem is that where I live I have no inexpensive source for thin cut specialty woods. I want to try my hand at some authentic mini furniture, not some of the stained soft wood pieces I have been using for experiments. I have a friend that has been selling me some blocks and some shorts, but nothing that I can use for what I am trying to do. I will check out Hobby Linc.

Hi Greg,

My hubby recently ordered me a variety pack of veneers from www.woodcraft.com and they also carry domestic and exotic woods.

wow is that the 50 pieces veneer samples? that would be great for mini's? 4x9" sheets.......a person could order two sets to get more of each piece.?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003323/3973/wood-identification-kit-veneer-sample-pack-50piece.aspx

wow is that the 50 pieces veneer samples? that would be great for mini's? 4x9" sheets.......a person could order two sets to get more of each piece.?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003323/3973/wood-identification-kit-veneer-sample-pack-50piece.aspx

Yep, that's the one. Some of the woods are gorgeous. The veneers are very thin and not flat, but I think that will be remedied when gluing.

Yep, that's the one. Some of the woods are gorgeous. The veneers are very thin and not flat, but I think that will be remedied when gluing.

I have used the cherry veneer that came in one of their 72 sq ft pack, for some of my dh floors (@$16 for the package). The only issue with some of the veneers is that the grain is out of scale.

Greg, I guess it has been a while since I bought wood in miniature stores. I just went and looked at Midwest and Northeastern. Their products have trippled since I last purchased! I just about choked when I saw the prices!

I got lucky years ago and picked up all the walnut, cherry and manogany that one store had left in their stock at 75% off the original price. It was a LOT of wood and was about 75.00 at the time. I am just now running low. Last year, someone was selling out a lot of wood at our mini show and I bought what looked useful of that...I was not crazy about the mahogany. It seemed coarser than the other stuff.

I know this doesn't help you, but the point is, grab it when you see it. We have a couple of specialty stores here in Tucson for woodworkers. They sometimes have cutoffs and scraps in a barrel for sale, cheaper than their regular stock. I am wondering if you could find someplace like that and slice your own lumber? I know that some people do that.

Would the grain of the quarter-sawn be more in scale than the flat cuts? I was going to suggest Woodcraft, some of their pieces for pen turning are actually big enough to cut down for furniture. When our ancient oak let go of one of its huger branches, DH cut me a couple of sections and cut them into boards that I've been seasoning until I'm ready to use them.

• Like 1

I love S. H. Goode, but the website is hard to order from. No photos of the wood or purchasing info on tools and such. I have bought things from him at shows and the quality is good. As I understand it, you can get a price list upon request, but I like to see the wood before buying. The mid century coffee table that I made a year or so ago is apricot wood that I got from him. No pun intended, they have really good wood for miniatures. I also have their miter box. Mine is about 30 years old and is finally in need of replacing. Thanks Brae, now I can order a new one.