Thornhill

So, I am currently building the Thornhill - doing it Country French - since I will most likely never get a Lawbre French Country Chateau :( . Been working on it since 2007, and of late took a hiatus from minis in the last couple years. I'm back into things now and just got the roof attached.

I've fiddled with the exterior finish and feel like its what I wanted it to be, but know that trying to add quoins on this texture will be a challenge. Before I do shingles, I think I have to figure out what that front eave color should be...I think grey is going to be my trim color...

8250538727_cd97499b30.jpg

I'm so glad you posted this. I bought myself a 1/2" Thornhill kit as a Christmas gift and have been searching all over the place for pictures of the finished house. There just aren't that many photos (or if there are, I haven't managed to find them...)

How are you planning to do the inside? Usually I like modern houses but for some reason this one seems like it should be an elegant manor house.

Anyway, glad you're back to work on it, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Yes...you're right - not too many pictures out there...especially now that Webshots is gone/not public anymore. I had a few links to pictures there and now they are gone. For my stuff, I have a set in my Flickr album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hnuttle/ - lots of pics on what I've got inside, including my slightly off-beat method of furnishing the interior, and then doing exterior work that gets all of that stuff nice and dusty.....but I think that just mimics my real life style...not a terribly motivated housecleaner!

Judith's is great - as Holly says...she is truly the kitbasher extraordinaire!

8182845364_db77938ed2.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Amy,

Just getting back to my Thornhill, I am looking at yours - quite the bricking, you did a fabulous job!

It looks from the picture that your quoins are on the front walls, but not on the front door wall - the part that is in front. Interesting. I'm wondering if you had plans to add the quoins or if you prefer it this way. These are something that is next on my list and I'm pensive about how I want to do it.

I've changed up my trim colors to a burgundy/brown and I'd probably still do an aged stone type of finish on the quoins.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Its been a long slow process of working on my Thornhill - months of inactivity, then small bursts of work. I'm back on again, motivated by the recent purchases at estate sales and shows. 

I had burgundy frames, mulled it for months, ripped them out and put in white painted ones.

20471384984_0b657dccf7.jpg

Most all the crown and baseboard are done throughout. Its starting to tilt to 85% complete. Still have shingling and exterior details to work on, and the kitchen is my major challenge. I have been terribly indecisive about the wall tiling and back splash, and so haven't installed any cabinets yet. 

Here's the JBM tapestry chair I purchased at the show

20907264849_cd0a02209b.jpg

Here's the 3rd floor bedroom - with the cabinet and needlepoint I purchased from the estate sale
20471393674_b89dae5a79.jpg

And in the game room, the JBM leather tufted chair and the Bespaq leather chair I got from Grazhina

20906136008_54a44fa5e1.jpg

The dining room has the newly replaced Bespaq chairs (due to disintegrated foam), and the custom built stained brown corner cabinet I snagged at the estate sale. 21083992102_bd3702399d.jpg

The bath has a shelf bought at that estate sale, and needlepoint rug I got at the Bishop show. 

21083996122_462b286bba.jpg

In the man's study, the Rocco chair and stool I got from @Grazhina are tucked in by the fireplace, and a rifle/gun waiting for a rack on order. 

20906460810_0f82585718.jpg

More in my Flicker in my signature