Plastic Window Inserts - Yes or No?

Blondie

Thank you Mike. I did click on that link earlier but since I live less than a mile from a HL store Id prefer to get it in store so I could judge the appropriateness of the thickness for myself. Im wondering if there is a difference between acrylic and plexi ?? What do the pros use? Anyone know?

But is it thin enough Holly? The only stuff Ive seen at Lowes or Home Depot is too thick maybe Im not looking in the right place. Has anyone had good luck with the scale of the plexi sold at hobby builders supply? I think they sell a cutter to score it too.

A couple of years ago I bought plastic for windows in the frame department at Hobby Lobby to replace window in a dollhouse I was rehabbing. I don't remember whether it was called acrylic or plexiglass.

What I bought was prepackaged and was either 11x14 or 16x20. It was out on the floor in the area with the pre-cut matts, not in the custom frame department, but near it. I don't remember the thickness, but it was perfect for the dollhouse windows.

I scored it with a craft knife and broke it along the score line on the straight edge of a table.

Renea

Renea thank you I will look there. I found some on eBay sold by Manchester woodworks, it's Houseworks, I'm sure it's the same as what hobby builders carries, two sheets in a package. Says it's 1 mm thick and can be cut with a coping or scroll saw.

Plexiglass is/was a brand name for acrylic sheets. Like Kleenex is a tissue, but not all tissues are called Kleenex.

I like the window inserts, and (following Holly's suggestion last year) save packaging. So far so good.

I'm not sure what the difference is. I measured my leftover piece, and it's 2mm. It fits perfectly in between the TeenieTow window frames and lines up nicely with the kit wood walls. I sanded off the extra length with the dremel sanding tool and with the circular saw piece. Both cut it easily. I think you'd be really happy with it.

I'm just guessing, but I *think* plexiglas is more flexible than acrylic. It doesn't bend easily or anything, but I feel like the acrylic pieces in my Houseworks doors are more fragile, if that makes sense.

I got window material here. It comes it different thicknesses.

It is called "plastic" but then gives the technical name - clear PETG/Polyethylene Terephthalate Copolymer.

Maybe those of you who know more than I do about that sort of thing, could compare the technical names to discover what has the most scratch resistance, etc.

The folks who run this place are wonderful to work with, imo.

Thank for the input to everyone...Blondie, I don't think you ever said where you bought the 2mm plexi? Forgive me if you did. I think Im going to try this houseworks plexi in 1mm. Im wanting to make some windows that will be open so Im going to need it as thin as possible. Selkie, Im wondering if the item you referred us to isn't the same as gallery glass. The price is about the same. The houseworks stuff for two sheets costs twice as much, not that that necessarily means its better. Ive used gallery glass quite a bit and like that I can cut it myself just don't like the inevitable scratches. I'll be able to compare the two and report back :)

• 1 month later...

For future reference, Hobby Lobby usually has the acrylic sheets in store, located in the area with the stained glass supplies. It's about 1 mm thick.

:yes: And, they usually have huge sheets of it, too, for around $6. Smaller sheets are less.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/13/2012, 3:35:33, WyckedWood said:

Ive left them out on a Tudor cottage. Alternatives to the kit windows are cheap and easy though. The cheapest Ive found (what Im doing with my Orchid build) is to buy a large poster frame from Kmart or Walmart, the plastic that comes with those is very thin, cuts easily and is similar to what Gallery Glass sells for faux stained glass, styrene blanks I think they call them...Ive used those for windows too. But the poster frame plastic sheet is buy far the cheapest and you could do several houses with all of that plastic,its nice and clear and thin.

This was very helpful for me! I am new to building doll houses and I need all the help I can get .

I buy the large poster frames and use the plastic as dust covers applied with Velcro to the opening. I use the backer board as my table protector and the metal side pieces are used for making frames for sliding doors.