Cremation boxes

Selkie

Sorry to bring up a seemingly morbid topic at the holidays but I need some creative help and I figured this was the location of the most creative bunch of people I've ever met.

I've been asked to design the covers of 2 cremation boxes for my in-laws. My FIL saw me teaching one of my grands to do wood-burning for a county fair project and decided I was "the one" to do the job. They only want home/hand-made so no sending it out to a laser company will do. His grandson, from a previous marriage, built the boxes so, no pressure here for messing them up - Ack-k-k-k-k-k-k !!!!! The boxes have been finished with clear poly on them.

My MIL wants an intricate butterfly on hers to symbolize new life - no small task. He won't give me any idea of what he wants on his. Any ideas of possible designs? My FIL is a traditional fix-it kind of guy, loves to mess around in the workshop, ride a motorcycle, is strong in his faith, and is also in quite poor health - hence the push to hurry up and do this project.

Help please !!!

Should I use the traditional wood-burning tool or the new wood engraving tool I recently got from Micromark?

Are there "rules" or etiquette about this sort of thing that I should know?

What about making some miniature items and attaching them to the cover so I reduce some of the risk?

Would I put more poly over the finished designs?

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and advice.

The tool diffrence depends on skill obviously but I think with the engraving tool you would get more of a 3d image produced.

People have many diffrent unique types of cremation boxes some with miniature statues on top.

The 3rd option I can give you would be to get a 1/2 or 1 inch wood plaque that is the same make of the box you wish to work on and engrave or burn into that item.

That way if for some reason there would be a error, you can always get another plaque.

this link is huge but http://i1013.photobu...ionBoxAngle.jpg

Or using a router and attaching a plaque

w12.jpg

Best of luck to you ;)

Thanks for the encouraging ideas and words. I'm a bit overwhelmed with this responsibility and very nervous because of the awkward scenario of the creation of the boxes.

I'm definitely leaning towards the separate pieces idea. Takes some pressure off cuz I can start over a bazillion times (time permitting).

As to the engraving tool - I'm very new at using that one. I love it so far but it is quite different from the wood-burning tools. I love the clean look of the engraver with no burn marks.

Thanks again.

What a great honour. Could you sketch something first on paper and see what he thinks of it before committing it to the wood. At least doing it before he needs it, will ensure that he gets what he wants when the time has come for him to pass. How often have we been left wondering if we have made the right arrangements for a loved one after they have gone because there was never a conversation when they were in life.