My attempt at the Magnolia

Joyrene10

Hi, Joy; I was wondering how your Magnolia was coming along. I also put in a bathroom (very untraditional for the type house it wanted to become, but neither it nor I wanted an unsightly outhouse out back: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=11114, http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=11116 and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=39301

I'm not especially happy that the whole family has to troop through the kids' bedroom to get to the bathroom, but it's very unusual to find indoor plumbing in a Florida Cracker house...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Holly I have looked at your bathroom and it is great, such a pretty room. I have loaded some pics of the prerun in cardboard of

my bashed and extended roof space and have pinched a bit of space from each of the bedrooms to fit in the bathroom. As this is a vaguely 1930/40 house a bathroom would probably been possible.

• 1 year later...

Well there has been a very long gap between the last posting and now but I am back and bursting to get ahead now that winter is on the way. I have been very busy recently as at 73 I have returned to my occupation of selling houses on the Island of Crete, Greece so have been taking photos and writing descriptions of some new houses that are up for sale on the website. This has stimulated my desire to redesign the bedrooms of the 'Stony Magnolia' and make a bathroom to house the old fashion bathroom suite that I was given for Christmas two years ago. After several dry runs with strong cardboard I have come up with a feasible option by forming a hallway around the staircase and opening the central support column inserting a pair of bedroom walls with doorways. The bathroom is now under the eaves in the centre of the house behind a an arched wall and screened by a curtain.The narrow bedroom is now going to be a nursery and I have extended the main bedroom by dividing the end roof section into half a flat area and extending the end wall with the chimney. This also allows me to use a lovely fireplace on the wall in front of the chimney that I fell in love with whilst on my last visit to the UK. I will post some pictures in the next few days as soon as I have completed the dry run.

Thanks Mike, It is nice here at the moment with temperatures about 25 degrees and little wind. The housing market is slow but I hope will pick up in the near future. Many possible house purchasers do take to looking at the websites during the winter months, and there are some very good bargains now that the prices have dropped. The dry run is coming together and I am now trying to make up my mind whether to shingle the top floor exterior walls as I have shingles left over from the Primrose that I did before but if I do this I cannot decide how to finish off the roof sections bearing in mind that part of the roof is now flat. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Holly, I was going to do the shingles for the top floor but got diverted my not knowing what to do about the doors as I wanted them to open but the hinges that I had for the doors were to big. I finally decided to try and make them into sliding doors as this would take up much less room on the balcony, hence two weeks of trial and error but I have finally found a solution. This will entail making a false wall to cover the internal runners that I have fitted to the outside wall and so I have found in my stationery shop in the town a congregated card in brown that is quite stiff and Ideal for the job in hand. If I can remember how to do it after all this time I will post the photos that I have taken to the Stony Maggie gallery.

• 1 month later...

Well I am well advanced with the project now but cannot remember how to upload all the photos that I have taken. Please can somebody help me, I must be getting old, but It was nearly 2 years ago that I set up the gallery and I do have a new computer with windows 8 loaded and I am having great difficulty learning how to use that!!!!!!

Just spent some time checking them out. Wow !!!

What a transformation of design and use of space.

You've really done your homework on how to redesign it and make it all work.

Congratulations.