9/18/06 Spinach

Minis On The Edge

Spinach  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Avoiding Spinanch Now?

• Yes
    • No
    • I never touch that stuff

I am not that big of a fan of spinach...it's not my absolute favorite...but I do enjoy having a bit now and then...but I am sure that children all over America are cheering!! Yippee....spinach is bad for you!!! LOL...

I love fresh spinach salads, but we don't have them very often because hubby can't eat it. It interacts with his meds.

Last Thursday I spent the day at the hospital, giving moral support to a friend whose husband was undergoing angioplasty. When it was determined that all was well, we went out for supper. I had the biggest, bestest spinach salad ever.

When we got home, the spinach/e. coli warnings were all over the news. I spent two days waiting to be stricken, but am happy to report I seem to have dodged that particular bullet!!

Chelsea was livid! She asked me How bad is E-Coli? ROFL I said you can die...that is how bad. I had to throw away a new bag that we hadnt even opened yet. Spinach is one of her staples. I am going to buy some collard greens to help her with cooked food but as for raw, I think I will get some mesculin (sp?) to tied her over.

A garden is looking more and more appealing... First meat and mad cow disease... then fish and mercury... now vegetables?! It's lookin' more and more like Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, a Snickers for lunch and potato chips for dinner! :lol:

I was going to vote no... until I read the thread. This is what I get for not watching news. Yeesh - I love spinich salads.. fresh it's yummy.. cooked.. it reminds me of the gunk on the bottom of my pond that needs to be cleaned.. and I think it smells about the same too Blech!!!!! Got to agree. This home gardening is definitely teh way to go. I don't usually grow much more than tomatos and pumpkins.. but it's looking like a pretty good idea to grow my own food.

-David

I don't eat it much, but my mother in law does everyday in her salad. I was worried about her because she is so frail already. She says she buys the kind that is organic and comes in a box. Plus she washes it again anyway, So I guess she is safe I bet the organic company sales have gone up.

A garden is looking more and more appealing... First meat and mad cow disease... then fish and mercury... now vegetables?! It's lookin' more and more like Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, a Snickers for lunch and potato chips for dinner! :lol:

Hey that's my usual diet, what's Vegetables?

Although I love spinach, collard greens, etc., the only way that I will eat them is if someone has picked them out of their garden and made them, or if I make them. Not out of a can, and not frozen.

A garden is looking more and more appealing... First meat and mad cow disease... then fish and mercury... now vegetables?! It's lookin' more and more like Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, a Snickers for lunch and potato chips for dinner!

Isn't it funny . . . I've never heard of anyone getting sick over junk food (unless of course they've overindulged, which I tend to do every Friday night)!!

I usually feed my finches fresh spinach every day. When Brian told me about the outbreak, I panicked! I thought for sure I'd have 7 dead finches . . . thank goodness they seem to be just fine, but needless to say, no more spinach for them!!

I don't eat it much, but my mother in law does everyday in her salad. I was worried about her because she is so frail already. She says she buys the kind that is organic and comes in a box. Plus she washes it again anyway, So I guess she is safe I bet the organic company sales have gone up.

I think it was organic spinach that was infected, wasn't it?

e.coli bacteria is about as organic as life gets, anyway. :)

When we lived in California, I watched the harvesters in the fields working hours on end with few or no porta-potties in sight. And once saw a large dog lift his leg on a low-hanging branch of oranges destined for market. Believe me, I WASH every bit of vegetation headed toward our dinner table!

Everyone here has E-Coli running all through their large intestine. How do I know? Because if you didn't you'd be dead. This is simply another case of the media turning a nothing story into a national catastrophe. E-coli is a comensal bacteria that lives in the large intestine, many essential vitamins are made absorbable to us by this little guy. If you get this bacteria in the upper GI tract, however, it can make you sick. Nausea and vomiting. And if you have a weak immune system: very young, very old, HIV, that sort of thing, you could get sick enough to die. But. amazing as it sounds, vomiting will not kill you. You can actually be sick and not die.

So, that's the upshot of this horrible 'epidemic'. That being said, why bother eating spinach? It's gross. And the most useless vegetable on the planet. Yeah it has lots of nutrients, but since they're not absorbable you might as well be eating glue.

BTW, how many members here died of West Nile Virus or Swine Flu?

Gosh I can remember the big green blob of spinach on my plate. My father telling me that Popeye eats his spinach. Dont you want to be big and strong like Popeye? NO THANK YOU!

I heard on the news that if you want your spinach (we like it in salads and wrap sandwiches) your safest bet would be to buy local.

They are also saying to eat arugula. I like arugula better than spinach!

Yes, it was the organic spinach where this first appeared. Yes, Doogster, we do have one type of e coli in our system...but the kind that has shown up here is a much more deadly variety, NOT the more ordinary kind that we all already have. We've had one death here in Wisconsin already...I'm not about to be another. I love fresh spinach...but thankfully the lady across the road grows it, I bring it home and wash it, and wash it again. Like I do all fresh fruits and vegetables, before I eat them.

I think lots of us grew up on way-overcooked spinach, which I agree is gross. About the only way I've found to eat it is mixed up in a spinach dip or spread. But raw spinach, or stir-fried spinach, can make a lovely meal. But I probably won't buy bagged spinach any time soon!

Just so that people don't get complacent after reading Doogster's post, here is an article that talks about this *deadly* strain of e coli that is affecting the spinach, and ...if it doesn't kill you...the long term side effects that people can suffer if affected by it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/l...1&cset=true

Just so that people don't get complacent after reading Doogster's post, here is an article that talks about this *deadly* strain of e coli that is affecting the spinach, and ...if it doesn't kill you...the long term side effects that people can suffer if affected by it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/l...1&cset=true

Ahh, another media article, show me an article from a well researchesd scientific journal rather than this and I'll listen. And long term side effects? How do they have any idea what they'll be? Has this been going on for years? Gimme a break!

Well, I personally worked for doctors helped with Medwatch Reports & Cioms form (I was the one to do the reports and send them to the FDA & HPB) and must say because I worked in Safety & QA, I don't take much stock in what the Medical community say myself. It's all propraganda if you ask me.

What Science say today can be proven different tomorrow and vice versa. I do think the media was good in letting us know about the harm that was done to people because of the contaminated food. I don't put much stock in most things I read from them either though because things can be blown out of proportion. I am happy to hear no one here got sick though (in our neighborhood here (Greeleaf Avenue :hide: ). I live in Wisconsin too and it's so sad to hear that someone so close to home died from eating contaminated food. This is why we have federal guidelines and the FDA to protect the people.

They'll most likely never know the true cause of the outbreak though I bet it's human error and not the Spinanch itself ;)