Are you a "Builder Only" or a "Builder and Decorator/Furnisher?"

AngeH

(I tried to do this as a poll, but couldn't figure out how to do it, or maybe I'm not allowed to yet. )

Based on responses to an earlier question I posted I realized that there are different approaches or levels or whatever you want to call it, to this hobby.

I built a dollhouse, but that was mostly because I wanted a particular kind (front opening) and I had a hard time finding one already built that I could afford. Mostly though, I was really excited about decorating and furnishing the dollhouse. Of course, I didn't expect to enjoy the building process so much, and I want to do it again soon!

So I was wondering if most people on this board are interested only in the building itself, or enjoy both the building and decorating?

When I first started I wasn't interested at all in going interiors, but now that's my favorite part...all the details. Also do love the challenge and creativity of the build though...but eventually, sadly you start to run out of space for more houses.

• Like 1

When I first started I wasn't interested at all in going interiors, but now that's my favorite part...all the details. Also do love the challenge and creativity of the build though...but eventually, sadly you start to run out of space for more houses.

Not if you do half scale, or smaller! :D

• Like 1

I like the making--fulfills an itch in my soul. The houses are gratifying to plan and assemble, and the furniture/accessories are a quieter activity. Using found items to recreate an era or mood is just plain fun. Space for the houses is an issue, but guess I fall into the 50/50 category.

I prefer the building. I love achitecture and just love reading how other miniaturists duplicate RL materials and architectural details.

I like doing the flooring and wallpaper, etc of the interiors but somehow lose interest beyond that. I do have several houses that I have furnished, and two that I have begun to make some of my own furniture....but mostly I find that my RL decorating skills somehow managed not to transfer to the mini world. <_<

So I will just keep working on improving my building skills!

I started as a decorator and for years that's all I ever did, because we moved a lot and hanging on to a large dollhouse was not an option. So my "dollhouses" were bookcases and cabinets and roomboxes. Now that we are no longer ricocheting around the country, I've starting building them, and find I rather like it. But the interior decorating and furnishing is still my favorite. I like to build it so I can make it the way I want it, but it is still just the means to an end - get it over with so the real fun can begin :)

I like it all too. I love putting a house kit together, but I also like making one from scratch. Decorating is fun, it's satisfying to put the furniture and accessories together and see the room take shape. But my favourite part, by a loooooong way, is planning! I love planning out a project, choosing what will go into it, doing a floor plan, etc.

• Like 1

I enjoy the building aspect more than the decorating but I also enjoy decorating. The problem I have with decoration is that minus are expensive and it takes forever for me to buy everything I want for my decor choice. Of course, I usually want everything....lol

What I love about building is the choosing for what finishes I would like to use so I am sort of decorating during the assembly process.

I hear that Gina. I started decorating the interior of my Beacon Hill one year ago (it sat finished and empty for several years). I was just going over my lists for the house and I feel like I haven't made a dent. Its not very instantly gratifying unless you can buy everything you want, when you want, which I cant. But then again, I like the way a house evolves and that doesn't happen if you buy everything at once, in RL or in mini. I have lots of houses that are empty and Im fine with that.