Acrylic protector for dollhouse

Pat

Has anyone built a "glass" type protector for a dollhouse. I have the McKinley I need to enclose. Cardboard and duct tape are not a pretty sight. I have one new young cat that goes "shopping" in the rooms, removes the items, plays with them on floor and then puppies get them and chew up. I also had no idea how much dust gets in there. Will have to get some pressure air from Staples and clean it up after I get something made.

• Like 1

Can you put a thin clear plastic on the open-back of the dollhouse?

In another topic Karin [WyckedWood] had a suggestion for windows, but you could use it to cover the whole back of your McKinley. Two pieces might be big enough?

"The cheapest Ive found (what Im doing with my Orchid build) is to buy a large poster frame from Kmart or Walmart, the plastic that comes with those is very thin, cuts easily and is similar to what Gallery Glass sells for faux stained glass, styrene blanks I think they call them...Ive used those for windows too. But the poster frame plastic sheet is buy far the cheapest and you could do several houses with all of that plastic,its nice and clear and thin."

• Like 1

Mike, in the case of the McKinley the FRONT of the house is open. I think I'd mount channel stock along both sides and across the bottom and attach a matching strip to the top of your plexi so you can slide it in & out to get to it when you want to play with it, and close it up to keep the nosy fur child out.

Thank you both for the great idea. I'll definitely try this.

Yes use channel stock as Holly said. I forgot you might want to remove the plastic! LOL!

Also you could stick the channel to the house with magnetic tape or strips - so nothing to slide or hinge just in case there are any obstructions?! :)

Note: You might need to put trim on the edges of the walls before sticking the mag. tape to the house? Experiment 1st. :salute:

I was thinking she could glue the channel stock to the edges of the walls & floor to act as trim (nicely stained and with mitered corners, if she doesn't hit me!), making sure not to have the trim along the floor block the drawers.

It will require some bashing for that sort of cover. Another thought would be to mount the cover along the bottom, above the drawer, with hinges and either magnets at the upper corners or a latch. Can the cat still access the innards of the house if it's mounted on a wall (like it's designed for?)

I was thinking of possibly hanging it on the wall, but so heavy and I'd have to have someone install a shelf. I like the idea of plastic and will probably have to do the attic separately because of the cut. I'm going to use the "plastic" to protect my Fairfield which I'm working on. Sometimes I feel I might just as well throw money on the floor and let the critters have at it. One of the more expensive pieces I've "lost" was a lighting fixture that the new feral cat "stole", played with and then puppies got it! In my next life I'll only have a fish tank!