First Dollhouse Build

shipsmanor

Hello all. I am Erik and just purchased my first dollhouse. I chose the Beacon Hill because it somewhat looks like the house I used for my business. I am a cross stitch designer and have always loved crafts. Always been fascinated by miniatures. Obviously don't see any art as gender oriented. I've been building some furniture (house of miniature kits) to practice on until the dollhouse arrives (this friday!). I'm pretty handy at building things but I know I will have a ton of questions and run into problems. So, I came here to be with the experts. Thanks, in advance, for any advice and help. I am excited!

Welcome to the neighborhood Erik. We have a couple of new members who are building Beacon Hills right now. Be sure to look through the other new member intros to find them. We also have many experienced members who've built BHs and will have all kinds of insights to share. Have fun!

Welcome to the little family, Erik, and I can't agree with you more on crafts being non-gender specific; one of my sons wanted to learn needlepoint and crewel when he was small; I just wish he'd kept his interest! I love to adapt crossstitch patterns to mini! I make everything that goes into my houses, including furniture. Do share pictures of your work and your builds with us, which you can do when you've made five posts. And whatever you do, don't use hot glue to assemble your BH.

My grandfather built the house I am working on now back in 1932. He made all the furniture for it as well. I don't think "gender" when I think of any type of crafts. Talent and interest is what counts. Welcome aboard and don't feel funny about asking questions. Lots of people on here that are willing to help.

Thanks everyone. Holly, I've been thinking about stitching small samplers etc. and putting them in the dollhouse. I also crochet/knit and would love to make a small afghan. Janet, samplers are really fascinating to me. I just stitched one for DMC. I am currently charting an antique one and will release it as a pattern this year.

Honestly, the electrical wiring of the dollhouse scares me the most. I will have to do more research on it.

I'm not a "doll" house builder, I'm a miniature real estate developer!

Welcome to the forum. Wiring isn't too difficult, especially since there are companies that make wiring appropriate for the scale / voltage involved.

Thanks everyone. Jeremy that's a good way to say it. I had a person, at my bank, as me what my business was. I told them needlework designer and they replied "oh, tattoos?". I've never heard of a tattoo artist called a needlework designer but whatever. I just needed to do something else that is crafty so I chose miniature real estate. Thanks for the welcome everyone. I will start my build on friday. I imagine I will have some questions then. LOL

...a person, at my bank, as me what my business was. I told them needlework designer and they replied "oh, tattoos...

:rofl: I guess their tiny little mind couldn't wrap itself around any further than "needle" and immediately blurted out the first word association. Too funny! I like single-strand embroidery floss for mini "yarn":

gallery_8_2779_10933.jpg

That's a #14 steel crochet hook. I wear a loupe when I do most mini needlework, especially stitching 1:24 rugs:

gallery_8_3402_179.jpg

That sounds like my situation, Erik. I have had several encounters where guys got the wrong impression of what I do dollhouse wise. They spout off with their ignorant and flawed assumptions, until they see a photo of all the mini 2x4's and joists, then they understand what it is I actually do.

I used to build plastic model kits. I have built just about every car, plane, boat, tank and motorcycle you can get in kit form, but nothing architectural. With young kids and my wife working nights, I don't get to crank up the bike for leisure rides very often either. I was working on my first house before I started a family, but now I have fewer chances to neglect my house projects.

Hi Erik, I'm new as well and also working on the Beacon Hill AND my son and husband are also named Erik :-) I have heard many say the BH is a tough first time build but I welcomed the challenge and it's going great! I made sure to read the warm up and instruction sheets thoroughly first and I come to this forum often for help and inspiration. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Erik, I agree that all crafts should be non gender specific. Many years ago, during the late fifties when I was training as a nurse in England I started as a cadet at 16 years old and part of the curriculum was for us to spend three months at a time in different parts of the hospital. One of my first assignments was to a male ward of long term TB patients and boredom was such a problem. Some were bed bound so I started to teach them to knit and crochet. This was very slow to start and provoked many sniggers and finger poking and some of the men even hid their work when their visitors came but slowly they became quite fascinated and even the mobile patients took up rag rug making. They were supplied with wool by the hospital and they started making baby blankets and toys and shawls for the Geriatric ward which was much appreciated by the elderly inhabitants. The improvement in the patients and the speed of the recovery was significant so that our hospital finally provided an area for an Occupational Therapy department. I spent many of my free hours there as I was living a long way from my home. Lovely memories.