This year hasn't started out very good

chellebelle

I haven't been on much for a while, as life gets in the way sometimes.

We got a phone call in the wee hours Tues Jan 9th. Dan's mother had been taken by the rescue squad to the hospital, and was on life support. Since she had a living will with DNR, per her wishes, the family had to let her go. (The squad had resuscitated her, and the ER put the ventilator in since they were not aware of the DNR) She went peacefully, lovingly surrounded by 7 of her 10 children.

The service was Saturday, and the weather was warm and sunny, very unusual for this area in Jan.

She was 86, and in failing health, in and out of the hospital for the past several months.

If that wasn't bad enough, Dan's older brother was recently diagnosed with colon cancer, and while being treated for that, was found to also have breast cancer (yes, men CAN get breast cancer) At stage 4, the prognosis isn't good. Please keep he and the family in your prayers.

Both of these cancers can be hereditary, so Dan and his siblings need to have regular exams and testing. I plan to tell his doctor at his check up in a few weeks!

Men not only can have breast cancer, but just as with older ladies a lot of older men's falls are the result of osteoporosis. I can't stress enough the importance of regular monthly self-exams for suspiscious lumps and skin changes.

:hug: Michelle; you & yours are in my prayers.