Old issue of Nutshell News and a featured house

miladygrey

I have been desperately trying to find some info on a house featured in Nutshell News in May of 1991 ... it was a white dutch colonial, and I was wondering if anyone might have the issue tucked away .. and could tell me if it was a kit or scratch built house , and if it was a kit does anyone still make it ?

I have been desperately trying to find some info on a house featured in Nutshell News in May of 1991 ... it was a white dutch colonial, and I was wondering if anyone might have the issue tucked away .. and could tell me if it was a kit or scratch built house , and if it was a kit does anyone still make it ?

I found this doing a google search. Is this the one your were looking for? No other info on it - just the picture. THe second one has pictures of the interior and also I just found out it was from Sears?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=46278&size=large

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/14906938

Thank you ...Yes ... thats the one .... thank you ...at least with the pictures I can rough guess and scratch build this

I tried reading some more about it, and it seems they sold only the plans so you could scratch build it? Not sure it they sold the kits back then from Sears. I grew up in a Dutch Colonial, and really loved that house It had a big fireplace in the livingroom and bookcases with leaded glass doors on either side.

Is this based off of the Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death? They were mini dioramas of real crime scenes used to teach crime scene investigation in the 1940's. DEFINITELY worth a look!

http://www.deathindiorama.com/

this one has more pictures I think

http://welcometobaltimorehon.com/places/museumsattractions/the-nutshell-studies-of-unexplained-death

Edited by AmieO

I'm sure that the Sears house plan is a full size house. When people talk about Sears kits, they used to sell actual homes in a kit, not a dollhouse kit. Someone most likely made the mini house from scratch using the basic plans. You can find lots of good stuff here http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1933-1940.htm and here http://architecture.about.com/library/bl-bungalowplan-sears.htm

I think these plans were only published in the magazine, not for sale. They're for a half scale house and were created by Frank Moroz of Bauder-Pine, based on the original Sears plans. If you can find a back issue (eBay?) you could convert the plans to 1:12.

Yes the plans are in the magazine. It's a really interesting design especially on the inside as it isn't only one room deep. It would be pretty easy to enlarge the patterns to full scale. I may just try to go the oppposite way to 1:48 scale since the quarter scale dutch colonial kit i ordered from ebay estate sale was missing all the main pieces. Thank goodness it was really cheap so no big loss.

I want to thank all who have responded ... I have been looking online for that particular issue of Nutshell News for a couple of years ( I had a collection of N.N. ,but lost them in a house fire years ago) ...and it rarely comes up for sale ... one place had one for 48.99 - but it was sold when I followed the link .... I kinda of figured it was a Frank Moroz ... I love his other houses too ...I am trying to replicate another of his in 1/4" scale .. to go with a collection of 1/4 scale furniture I found in my MIL estate stuff. In a town near us there is a real life house with a fireplace and leaded bookcases flanking it ,and the sunroom one one side and a drive under portico on the other ...I fell in love with it about 30 years ago ...and I always wanted to knock on their door to ask if I could see the inside ... but ... alas ... I am too chicken

I want to thank all who have responded ... I have been looking online for that particular issue of Nutshell News for a couple of years ( I had a collection of N.N. ,but lost them in a house fire years ago) ...and it rarely comes up for sale ... one place had one for 48.99 - but it was sold when I followed the link .... I kinda of figured it was a Frank Moroz ... I love his other houses too ...I am trying to replicate another of his in 1/4" scale .. to go with a collection of 1/4 scale furniture I found in my MIL estate stuff. In a town near us there is a real life house with a fireplace and leaded bookcases flanking it ,and the sunroom one one side and a drive under portico on the other ...I fell in love with it about 30 years ago ...and I always wanted to knock on their door to ask if I could see the inside ... but ... alas ... I am too chicken

My parents moved from the house with the fireplace and leaded bookcase doors after I got married. A friend of mine lives in the area and took a picture of it, on the outside, for me as I haven't seen it for 40 years. Wished I had some pictures of the inside to see if they kept all the wonderful original details that were in it.

There's one on my street I would like to miniaturize...I especially like the entrance. RI Assessor's database

16.jpg

Here's the basic layout. RI Assessor's database5169_5046.jpg

I started drawing it in Sketchup3D, but that's as far as I got. :) I need to figure out the floor plan...

med_gallery_4762_4046_6141.png

• Like 1

Gloria, go up to the door and knock and tell whoever answers that you admire the look of the house, that you are a dollhouse builder and you'd love to attempt to replicate theirs in a small scale, and ask if they'd mind if you came back when it was more convenient for them to look at the inside layout (stick a small camera in your pocket in case they invite you in then & there!); the worst that can happen is for them to say "No". Take along some pictures of your builds to show, in case you're asked. If you act professional you might surprise yourself!

Mike, in your hands I can't wait to see how that house will turn out! Will you chop off the excess A'line of the roof to the top of the gambrel trim?

Mike, in your hands I can't wait to see how that house will turn out! Will you chop off the excess A'line of the roof to the top of the gambrel trim?

Nope, that becomes the dormers. When the trim & the roof are shingled & house is sided, the look is much more cohesive. :)

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_6060/gallery_15347_6060_74459.jpg

Experimenting trying to load a picture from my gallery - this is the Dutch Colonial I grew up in. Hard to see the roof line thru the trees, as my friend took this picture of it from straight on. It is now over a 100 years old. Glad the people that have it now kept the front door.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_6060/gallery_15347_6060_74459.jpg

Experimenting trying to load a picture from my gallery - this is the Dutch Colonial I grew up in. Hard to see the roof line thru the trees, as my friend took this picture of it from straight on. It is now over a 100 years old. Glad the people that have it now kept the front door.

Looks similar to the Sears Puritan except for the entrance style.

Patrica or Gloria you could probably use the Puritan plan as shown above. Go here for large image of flyer/plan > click

I think - once at the link - if you click the image it will expand to full size & you should be able to read the text & dimensions.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought that issue and it should arrive this week. I'll let you know

Thank you ,Emily ... I just opened it , and gave a quick look through ...I can't wait to sit down and try my hand at this one ...but I promised my youngest daughter I would finish hers first ( I started on hers almost 2 years ago , lol )...and I also have another that I am working on right now as well, so it may be a little while ...and I want to try it in 1/2 scale ....