A Fairfield with no fireplaces?

raspberry

IMO it would involve an awful lot of filling in and making new walls. As a practical matter, the design of the house is one that the fireplaces in each room was the heat source for the whole house, so I'm assuming you want to totally redo the innards, like on "This Old House"?

I say go for it if that is what works for your design.

If there are structural issues, they can be addressed with extra support.

You won't love it in the end, if you aren't true to what it is telling you it wants.

That is a great bash Kathryn, thanks for the link.

I'm just building a Fairfield too. Depends what you want to do with the chimney really. If you have the fireplace in the living room, then realistically it needs a chimney too. In this case I'd just not punch out the pieces that make the fireplace holes, and then wallpaper over them. If you've already punched them out, then either fill the holes back in, or make new pieces. You can take the pieces with the holes in them to trace around to make the new pieces. You'll just need to trace and cut out the hole for the living room fireplace and leave the others filled in.

If you're not bothered about having a chimney you'd need to make a new flat wall and build a fireplace onto it. You'd also have to fill the gaps in the floors, so I'd probably leave the chimney!

I bought resin fireplaces to use instead making the ones from the kit. They just fit nicely over the holes - just need to fill in the slots above them where the kit mantle piece would have gone.

I only remember hearths and mantles for the FFs' fireplaces. I used fancy resin ones for the library and parlor and an HO-scale culvert for the kitchen; I made the rest from foam core. Because the fireplaces inlude the dividing wall between the rooms on that side of the house, once you fill the floor holes you can move the walls, omit them (and sub columns) or whatever; but, as Muriel points out, if you're going to have one fireplace you need a chimney (unless you're going totally "modern" with an electric fire); but you could always place that one on an outer wall and build your chimney against it.