We're getting a 2nd dog

chellebelle

We're getting our dog Sadie and Mulligan the cat a new sister. Her name is Coco, and she belongs to my sister-in-law's neighbor Bob.

Dan and I spent Thanksgiving at his sister's house, and I'm so glad as it turned out to be their Mother's last one.

Also at dinner was Bob, as he doesn't have hardly any family and would have eaten alone at his home. We sat at another table from him, but chatted before and after dinner. Valerie whispered to us that Bob had been fighting liver cancer for 5 years, and it recently spread to his bones.

Dan went to sit by him to talk sports or some guy thing, and I was with the ladies. Then I heard Dan say loudly "I'll take her" I scooted closer to hear them, and found out about Coco. Bob knows that he doesn't have much time, and the only thing he cared about was that his beloved Coco would have to go back to the shelter where he adopted her. No family or friends could take her, so Dan stepped up.

Since then, we took our Sadie over to see if they would get along, and they did fine. He seemed happy to see the dogs making friends.

We were supposed to bring Bob and Coco here so he can see our home. However, Dan's mother died and his brother got sick so we postponed it.

Last night, Valerie called to let us know Bob is very ill and can't take care of Coco anymore. She told Dan to call Bob to work things out.

Unless things change, Dan will pick her up either this weekend or next week when he's on vacation. I'm excited to get her, she's a sweet and timid girl, but I hate the reason.

The thing I feel the best about it is that the last thing Dan's mother said to him a week before she died was that it's a very nice thing we're doing for Bob.

• Like 3

Awww! She's very cute! I got my dog at a high-kill shelter. She had been hit by a car and it knocked her right eye out. She still has the eye, but she can't see out of it. She has been the best dog ever. Hard to believe she would have been put to sleep in 10 days if not adopted. Good luck with Coco - I'm sure she'll fit right into your lives and your heart.

• Like 1

Quick update: We're picking her up Wed the 30th. We were going to go this comming Sunday, but I forgot that I have a dentist appointment Monday and may have to be sedated. That means Dan has to take me. We didn't want Coco to have to be alone that day, especially as leaving Bob will be traumatic enough. This way, she'll have both Dan and I to comfort her and begin the spoiling!

Bob is going into a Hospice facility as soon as there is an opening. They only have 10 beds, so hopefully he can get in soon. That way he will be well taken care of.

He did ask Dan to bring Coco to see him there for a last visit. He said he wants to wait until he knows he's "going" Dan told him that all he has to do is call us, or have someone do it for him. Other than when I have appointments, I'm home 24/7. So, when he calls, I'm to call Dan at work right away, and he'll get here as fast as he can, pick up Coco and me, and get her to Bob. Please keep Bob in your prayers, and that we can make everything right for him.

• Like 1

This is a very touching story. I have fostered many dogs over the past 10 years and there is nothing as bittersweet as seeing your baby walk off with a family that will cherish her. When you know how much they will be loved, it is not so sad to see them go. You are special people to step up to do this and Bob will have so much more peace as he makes his transition.

• Like 2

What a story.....both touchingly sad and happy. I'm sorry to learn that your friend, Bob is so ill but it must have brought him some comfort that his dear Coco will be in a loving home. We've always been involved in dog rescue and specifically Pit Bulls or Pit mixes as they so desperately need good homes. Right now we have 4 rescues....2 girls and 2 boys all rescued at different times and all love each other and get along. It's nice to know that there are other very caring people in this world that help other people in need of help and in finding their beloved pets a good home. Even when our loved ones depart that Rainbow Bridge awaits us all.

• Like 1

Hi Michelle, this is a wonderful thing that you and your husband are doing, may I offer you one bit of advice As Coco has not been to your house it would be a wise move to let her be introduced to Sadie on neutral grounds as she will not have Bob with her to give her confidence. I bred Golden Retrievers for 20 years and love there temperament so you should not have any problems but if they meet outside and away from your house it will be easier for Coco to go home with Sadie and you. Be sure to make as much fuss of Sadie as you do of Coco and there should not be a jealousy issue. Hope all goes well and thank you for all your kindness, I am very sure that Bob is a very grateful man and may his passing be peaceful.

Thanks for the advice Joy. I'll be sure to do that. Everything went well when we took Sadie to meet Coco. They met in Dan's sister's yard, and first through the fence, then in the yard face to face. We had Bob go inside his garage where Coco couldn't see him so she could visit us without him. She spent the entire time looking for him through the fence. So, it will be hard for her, but Sadie is so wonderful I'm sure they will get along fine.

We went yesterday and bought them matching beds so Sadie could have a nice new one too. Then we went to Petco and bought a big bag of her very favorite treats. No worries about Sadie feeling left out, as she is never far from my side, and we will be trying to make our best effort to give them the same amount of attention.

I do worry about Sadie's "stuffies" She has a basket of stuffed animals that she is very attached to. I asked Bob if Coco plays with any toys and he said not really. So, I'll make sure to watch out for Sadie's stuffie babies, and keep them safe for her.

One last thing, I'm not sure if I'll be going to Bob's with Dan to pick her up. I may have to wait at home. I don't know if I can watch him give up the one thing that he loves and treasures the most in all the world. He has no wife or children, so Coco is his baby.

I'll try to take photos when she come here to her new home!

• Like 1

post-2933-0-92755300-1359514127_thumb.jppost-2933-0-60880100-1359514141_thumb.jppost-2933-0-85321100-1359514152_thumb.jppost-2933-0-05977300-1359514164_thumb.jppost-2933-0-97539000-1359514185_thumb.jpCoco came home to us today! Bob is going into the hospice tomorrow morning so we got her a day early! She's awesome! No problems with Sadie and her, they're already buddies! However, Mulligan the cat is not amused, lol. He was curious and checking her out from a distance, but when she wanted to sniff him, he took off and is hiding!

Coco is staying right beside me, following me and sitting or laying right next to me everywhere I go. I've already gotten several big slurpy kisses, and she's warming up to Dan quite a bit. I'm posting a few photos, please excuse the one with me in my jammies, I am worn out! We went shopping at Dawn's Dolls and Minis this afternoon ( I got a really awesome kit and some cool minis, which I'll write about tomorrow in general mini talk section) and had lunch at a cute diner. We thought Coco was comming tomorrow, so we did a lot of errands today. Between the shopping, getting things ready for Coco, and just plain excitement at getting her, I'm exhausted but very happy!

So when Dan got the call this evening, he went right away to pick her up.

She's a bit timid, but not in any distress, so I'm hopeful that she'll be fine in a few days.

• Like 2

This is great! I love happy stories, especially with animals. I feel bad for them, they don't understand what is happening. I think that once they feel the love, then they know everything will be okay.

post-2933-0-99756800-1360018764_thumb.jppost-2933-0-86597800-1360018783_thumb.jp

The photos are from couple days ago. As you can see, everyone is getting along fine! In the days since Coco came here, she's started romping and playing, "talking" in a cute puppy voice, found out what a ball is and learned that Mulligan the cat rules the roost! As I write this they're both on the couch at either end.