Beacon Hill Builders: The Next Generation

Blondie

Okay,I just didn't catch that 'drift'! And I really missed out-I spent most of my childhood in California-in Sacramento County,'65 to '69 and '71 to '76,and never got to see a 'painted lady'. :( I'm also more confused,as I thought the dollhouse was named for the Boston area!

I think the GL kit is based on a house in Boston's Beacon Hill. When we have visited San Francisco (my favorite big city) we did get to their Beacon Hill and there are Painted Ladies there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been SO busy with Real Life work that I've had no time for minis. I'm hoping to have time to prime the Space Room (far upper right) this weekend. Even if it's just something small like that, it will make me feel good to work on the BH. :bounce:

• Like 4

Same here Blondie, we are leaving for spain end of month for three weeks, so I am working every hour of the day to have enough money!!! Will be dollhousing in august again.

• Like 1

Blondie, that's what i do. If I can't do much, I try to "just do one little thing" to keep things moving. It's my version of Tracy's "by the inch it's a cinch, but hard by the yard." :D

Elize, I can't wait to see you back to work on yor minis! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't get my "one little thing" done on the BH this weekend. :teary: I am going to try to make that Space Room priming a priority this week. Am I a broken record or what? I keep saying the same thing over and over again. "I'll try to....." Work/life has just been SO busy lately!!! :badmood: I know it's not a race, but I haven't mini-ed in weeks, so I WANT to do it. I'll try! :bigwink:

• Like 2

Well, I didn't get my "one little thing" done on the BH this weekend. :teary: I am going to try to make that Space Room priming a priority this week. Am I a broken record or what? I keep saying the same thing over and over again. "I'll try to....." Work/life has just been SO busy lately!!! :badmood: I know it's not a race, but I haven't mini-ed in weeks, so I WANT to do it. I'll try! :bigwink:

I'm in the same boat with you Blondie. It's been all winter and spring for me. Ever since I hung up my SF to dry last Halloween. Thankfully it's not a race cuz I'd be in last place - for more reasons that that - :ohyeah:

Either way, your very own Beacon Hill can live wherever you want and can be a painted lady or a subtle lady. :)

Sooo.... I LOVE the BH and plan to add it to my collection one day. The thing is, I thought I was going to build the Orchid as a haunted house, but when I laid eyes on the BH, I knew it was destined to become spooky. Or is it sacrilegious to build such a gorgeous house that way?

I DO love Halloween though, so it'd probably be my very favorite build.

• Like 1

Cheverly, haunted houses are so popular, I can't imagine someone on the forum hasn't done it with the BH. WyckedWood's Sea Hag seems like it could easily be haunted, although I cannot recall if that was her intent :)

But absolutely YES, do a haunted BH! I'm getting the popcorn cuz I'd loved to watch :popcorn:

• Like 1

Okay, good! Thanks guys. Now I'll start watching for a 30-40% coupon from miniatures.com!

Edited to add: I LOVE the Sea Hag!!! and I just did a gallery search for "Haunted BH"... Have you guys seen fairymom's house? It is eerily fabulous!! I'm getting tingles of anticipation, people.

Edited by Cheverly
  • Like 1

Okay, good! Thanks guys. Now I'll start watching for a 30-40% coupon from miniatures.com!

Edited to add: I LOVE the Sea Hag!!! and I just did a gallery search for "Haunted BH"... Have you guys seen fairymom's house? It is eerily fabulous!! I'm getting tingles of anticipation, people.

Miniatures.com has an April Fools Day sale every year, 40% off one item. That would be a great time to buy the kit. :)

And I love fairy moms Beacon Hill. It was featured on the cover of a miniatures.com catalog several years back as well.

Miniatures.com has an April Fools Day sale every year, 40% off one item. That would be a great time to buy the kit. :)

And I love fairy moms Beacon Hill. It was featured on the cover of a miniatures.com catalog several years back as well.

That's a great idea! It seems very far off BUT it would force me to keep working on the two I've got going now (cuz we all know as soon as that box arrives I can't just set it in the corner without cracking it open to start it!).

So, you guys know how writers aspire to be published, or artists want to have gallery showings? I would LOVE to be featured on something mini. Maybe someday! :)

• Like 1

...So, you guys know how writers aspire to be published, or artists want to have gallery showings? I would LOVE to be featured on something mini. Maybe someday! :)

That's what the Gallery and blog features do...

Hi Folks!

I'm relatively new to the forum, but I have read much of this thread from its beginning and found it very useful as I assembled my BH. Thank you to all the contributors over the past two years as I've learned a lot from your struggles, artistic detours and their associated triumphs.

Not knowing that mini hinges existed until a week ago, I used small pieces of canvas as door hinges glued to the wall on the inside of the door trim. It works fine on most of the doors, but the balcony door isn't cutting it with the 'hidden canvas door hinge' I attempted. At the moment, that door only opens part way and I'm sure that when my two year old gets it, she'll pull it until it breaks the door. My options appear to be:

1. Get some metal hinges like these: http://www.miniatures.com/Gold-Plated-Brass-H-Hinge-by-Houseworks-P17628.aspx for that door
  2. Go with externally mounted cloth hinges for now (replacing them at a future date with something more aesthetically pleasing
  3. Glue that door shut for now.

Can anyone advise me on how durable those metal hinges are? I'd prefer to go that way on at least that door, but I don't want to waste time and money on something that is going to break easily either.

Thank you for your thoughts!

-David

Thanks for that, Holly.

Yes, I've left the windows un-glued so they can pop out and be stored if necessary. (I also haven't painted yet, so its for my use as well.) My little one is quite gentle, but if a door opens part way, she'll assume that it'll open all the way - and that patio door is pretty delicate.