Beacon Hill Builders: The Next Generation

Blondie

Why is everything a problem with this BH??? I'm assembling the dormers. Have the sill, sides and trim on. Now I'm having a problem with the window curve pieces. Don't know where the dormer roof strips fit??? Do they lay flat or on their side??? Geez I'm going nuts over these instructions! Any help out there??? Please

Try moreminis blog as suggested. She has 3 Beacon Hill builds posted and one of them will give details on the dormer windows.

I haven't gotten there yet, I am doing the siding before any windows. It is very frustrating, especially for a first builder (us). I'm surprised I haven't burned it down yet LOL!

Jo, I feel your pain!  I used to get INCREDIBLY frustrated swearing that the house would end up next to the trash.   I will NEVER forget the help that  Gina's blog was.  If you open this link and type in the search beacon hill dormers you should find help.  Also if you can post a picture of the issue you are having those of us who have been there may be able to help more.

www.moreminis.blogspot.com

Holly,

I appreciate the link, but it only takes me to the Search form.

Well that bites!  I copied the url at the top left of the page to paste into my post, and I had three pages of excerpts from blogs mentioning the Beacon Hill.  I just tried a different set of search parameters for Beacon Hill blogs, got a new, bigger list, copied the url and darned if the same !  Go click on "blogs" at the top left menu bar and in the search box that shows up type in "building Beacon Hill" (without the quote marks) and you should get some nice links to check out.

I haven't gotten that far yet, so I'm sorry I can't help, but I can tell you that you're not alone in being confused/ frustrated by the BH dormers. A lot of people have had troubles with them!!!! It's a very challenging house, isn't it? But once you build a BH, you can build anything. ;)

Here's a direct link to Gina's dormer photos and guidance: http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-beacon-hill-dollhouse-revisited_91.html#.VQen8YE8KK0

• Like 1

Thank you ALL so much for the input on the Beacon Hill dormers. Once I finally cut the pieces to fit, things went smoothly. I didn't know if I should cut the top pieces, but according to moreminis you have to cut each one as you are doing them!

It's like I want to get done with the construction so I can play!

• Like 2

Gosh I've been working on the clapboard siding for a wk. now. It takes time. So much to do yet on this house. Probably won't get to the shingles until the two wk after Easter. I'm going down to my house in Williamsburg, VA next week. Looking forward to getting away from this full-time job working on BH! LOL. I'll miss it. Just wish I could find a good miniature store. I did go to one in Richmond VA, but it really didn't have much. I have been buying items, doors,moulding, etc from a co in England. Free shipping to the USA!!!

• Like 2

Gosh I've been working on the clapboard siding for a wk. now. It takes time. So much to do yet on this house. Probably won't get to the shingles until the two wk after Easter. I'm going down to my house in Williamsburg, VA next week. Looking forward to getting away from this full-time job working on BH! LOL. I'll miss it. Just wish I could find a good miniature store. I did go to one in Richmond VA, but it really didn't have much. I have been buying items, doors,moulding, etc from a co in England. Free shipping to the USA!!!

I know it's painstaking! But it really looks great. I wasn't going to do the dormers until I shingled, good or bad idea?

• Like 1

I agree with this house being a BEAST! I read somewhere that you should wait to put in windows/doors until siding/shingles are completed. What I did with the clapboard is dry fitted doors/windows in, just so I got the placement around these items close. I haven't put them in yet until I paint (main color) the house.

I agree with this house being a BEAST! I read somewhere that you should wait to put in windows/doors until siding/shingles are completed. What I did with the clapboard is dry fitted doors/windows in, just so I got the placement around these items close. I haven't put them in yet until I paint (main color) the house.

That's brilliant!  I've been tracing around the door and window trim and butting the siding up to that, but it doesn't work that well for the tops of windows with any sort of fancy angles.

I wish I had waited to put on the shutters until after doing the siding and the painting. 

Overall, I found the siding to be a lot of fun and I think I cranked through it in a little more than a weekend.  I butt a piece against one side and drew out the pattern that would fit and then cut (carefully as that stuff breaks easily) using my trusty Fiskars kitchen scissors (http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Kitchen-Scissors-Plastic-Stainless/dp/B0044ULC0O/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&srs=2591904011&ie=UTF8&qid=1427493270&sr=1-5&keywords=fiskars+scissors) which worked out great.  A quick dry fit check and then glue it down.  Worked like a charm!

• Like 1

I'm away from home and feeling a little "Dollhouse Blues". Can't wait to get back to working on my BH. I did finish the siding and will be starting the shingles when I get back! Also need to paint the main house now so I can install my windows, shutters, etc. Coming together.

I know the feeling! Wi Easter and a visit from my daughter and two grandchildren AND my daughter in laws baby shower. The house is tucked away along with tools out of reach of little hands, (I don't know about anyone else, but I really had everything everwhere!).

Just itching to get back. The windows are the next step and I don't know that I am thrilled, some look complicated, especially the dormers.