Fuse glass or make Raku pottery in your microwave? wow!

mininecessities

I don't know where I have been but I had no idea they have such a thing as a microwave kiln. Watched these two videos ......and wondering if glass things could be made, for mini's in the microwave? check them out. first is about glass and the 2nd is about Raku pottery.

What ideas can you guys think of for the glass? I am thinking mini glass sculptures.....what else?

This kind of excites me. but just what I don't need is more craft stuff and projects to learn lol

• Like 3

Cheryl! Jeez! How could you? I could have been very happy not ever knowing about this. But now ... my mind is whirling. Especially since she mentioned precious metal clay ... I've been wanting to mess around with that stuff for a long time! And raku ... my pottery shop is crying out for some miniature raku pieces. I don't need more craft projects or techniques to learn either. But ...

<trying to get this out of my mind for now but not having much luck>

• Like 4

I had no idea. The pottery making looks good. The kilns are under a hundred dollars I think.

The Fuseworks kiln in the glass video is about $80; the inside is about 3" in diameter. The Paragon kiln in the ceramics video is about $161; the inside is about 4.5" in diameter.

The Fuseworks kiln in the glass video is about $80; the inside is about 3" in diameter. The Paragon kiln in the ceramics video is about $161; the inside is about 4.5" in diameter.

Oh....$161 - that's a lot of cash just so I can go make a few pots. I still love the idea tho'.

Cheryl! Jeez! How could you? I could have been very happy not ever knowing about this. But now ... my mind is whirling. Especially since she mentioned precious metal clay ... I've been wanting to mess around with that stuff for a long time! And raku ... my pottery shop is crying out for some miniature raku pieces. I don't need more craft projects or techniques to learn either. But ...

<trying to get this out of my mind for now but not having much luck>

LOL I am the same way, wish my body would whirl as fast as my mind does and all the things I want to create. Been bothering me lately that I have accumulated more stuff and jigs and machinery etc etc than I will use in my lifetime. Glad you are having fun though......I call this stuff Painful fun, cause we know we are too busy lol

Oh....$161 - that's a lot of cash just so I can go make a few pots. I still love the idea tho'.

Yea too much for me right now, but definately on my wish list............Maybe you can use it for other things so it would be more worthwhile for you! I am anxious to see what ideas come out of this thread! :)

I want to make my own dishes in half scale. I'm going to have to go google it because the links for the videos didn't show up on my iPad.

Google "Fuseworks" and "Paragon microwave kiln"

• Like 1

Well - maybe not. If you could made enough to sell at a mini-trade show - it could pay for itself pretty fast :pimp:

• Like 1

One of the kilns for sale on ebay, the seller says that the kiln is for all metal insides microwaves. My spinner ie the turntable part is plastic course I would take it out.......but I am not sure about the panel ......inside? Ya know that little panel that protects things. not sure how to tell what it is made of...........lol...........

• 1 year later...

I just saw a product called Silver Metal Clay which requires a kiln. It's used to make real silver jewelry but could be used for miniatures, too. I'm probably not going to buy is cause I'm horrible with all clays, but I thought it was an interesting product. Oh yes, the reason I found it is because our adult community school is having a class on how to make objects with it...so I was curious.

• 4 months later...

Once again I am in awe of the things I discover on this forum!  Now I just have to start saving for my own mini kiln.  And maybe a separate microwave as well - I do worry a bit about fumes or something getting into the microwave that we use to cook our food with.  I recently started playing around with polymer clay a bit more so I bought a toaster oven to cook my pieces in.  David actually liked it so much that we went back to the store and bought the exact same toaster oven again to replace the worn out one in our kitchen.  My new one allows me to set a specific temp so I can time my polymer clay pieces better.

I have dozens of amber vials that I have collected from the pharmacy - I have no idea what I could make with them other than maybe glass beads like she did in the video.  But then again, do I even need a new hobby...?

I forwarded the videos to Lloyd. Maybe if he can fire in the kitchen, he'll back off of lobbying for a full sized ceramics studio. (Just call me a c***-eyed optimist, eh?)

Edit: or a rooster-eyed optimist?   :roflmao:

• Like 2