Newbie from Missouri

Wildwood2012

Hi all! Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a stay-at-home wife of a great guy (been married 33 years this coming March) and mother to one adult son who lives on the other side of the state with our wonderful daughter in law.

I've done just about any craft you could imagine over the years and thought I'd give dollhouses a go. I thought it would be a great outlet to use all those tools and supplies I've acquired throughout the years.

I bought the Orchid and I'm really feeling overwhelmed! I just started trying to build it following the packaged instructions and felt like crying! I had no idea what it was saying. Then I decided I should look online and signed up for this forum. I'm so happy I did because I found the wonderful expanded instructions pdf. Now I can dry my tears and continue.

I look forward to reading as many of your posts as I can and picking your brains when I can't find the information I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance! :bear:

• Like 1

Hi Deborah and :welcome: to the forum! This is a great place to ask questions. Odds are, someone has already figured out what's puzzling you.

Where are you in Missouri? We live in mid-Mo (Marshall) in the summer.

Awwww....sorry you were brought to tears....but Im pretty sure most, if not all of us, have been brought to that point before in this hobby. Im glad you found us too. The Orchid is a darling house and Im sure with your experience in crafting you'll end up with a beautiful finished product!

Welcome to the forum. There are all kinds of resources here, especially the people. Now that you have said you need help, there will be posts from experts(i am a novice) and you can look up Orchid in the forum and there will be previous posts that you can read. I have learned so much here. Remember to have FUN!

Gail :bear: (Love this bear)

Welcome to the little family, Deborah. There are two building blogs for the Orchid you might want to read. I didn't cry when I built mine until after the dry fit, when everything fit perfectly, and when I began to glue it up the roof pieces no longer wanted to fit so perfectly, so when I primed the exterior the paint leaked in and ruined my lovely wallpapering job upstairs, forcing me to rip it out (I had no more of the pattern) and begin again. You will acquire LOTS of patience with this hobby, and just wait until you start adapting all your needlework skills to 1:12 and smaller!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! We all share answers and advice here, so jump in and have fun. We've all done something that has either led to tears or that sinking feeling in the stomach...but on the bright side, we've all had things go better than planned too! So if you have questions, ask away. You'll have an answer or dialog going soon enough! Someone here will be able to answer your mini questions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

To those in Missouri, we live in Raytown (KC area). We moved here last May from a rural home North of Savannah, MO and really love it. Hubby has worked in KC for the last 15 years and we finally took the plunge and moved.

Hi, Deborah! I started building an Orchid as practice for a bigger house, and fell in love with the little house along the way. PLENTY of sinking feelings, as I seem inclined to glue things on either backwards or upside down, but I've learned so much and had so much fun along the way! The expanded Orchid instructions helped me alot. I just wish I could find a little mouse to glue on all of those shingles! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We moved from Missouri to Oklahoma. My Mother was ill and passed away. My BIG reason for this hobby? My son died from diabetes 4.5 years ago as he was 33 and never had much time for outside activities except sewing. I'm ready to do this now and feel it's the right time. I recommend this hobby, even though I never did it before. It helps when you are lonely.

I read a lot of your posts. YOU all seem so sweet and kind. Thanks in advance for that. SMILES are great.

Sue, I don't think she was looking for a scale mouse to glue onto the shingles, I think she wants a mouse (or someone other than her) to glue the shingles onto the roof. If she lived closer I'd do it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

To those in Missouri, we live in Raytown (KC area). We moved here last May from a rural home North of Savannah, MO and really love it. Hubby has worked in KC for the last 15 years and we finally took the plunge and moved.

Hi Deborah! I missed your post until just now. We don't live all that far apart, and Contrary Housewife lives between us. Maybe we can get together sometime!