Your Favorite Improvisation?

drjones

I recently purchased a copy of The Complete Book of Making Miniatures by Thelma Newman and Virginia Merrill. In the back is a chapter on "Improvisations". These are ideas for using everyday items in a new or alternative way. Some of the idea in the book include things like using jewelry finding for lights, lamps, or a ping pong ball to make a Tiffany lamp. There weren't too many in there so I'm starving for more.

So, what is your favorite 'improvisation' or re-purposing? Or do you have another name for this?

My favorite (for this week at least!) is a find I got at a dollar store. I got a bag of 50 baby bottles for favors I suppose. I used an x-acto knife to cut off the top and now I have have a set of glasses for the kitchen. Yes they have holes in the bottom but I don't think my dolls will mind. ;)

post-12945-0-63215500-1360537644_thumb.j

post-12945-0-17660300-1360537650_thumb.j

• Like 2

The queen of improvisations is Patricia King; before her was Helen Ruthberg; I have and use books by both (I also had The Complete Book of Making Miniatures by Thelma Newman and Virginia Merrill, but I gave it away since most of what was in the improv chapter is in one of Helen Ruthberg's books, too). My favorite so far was making Patricia King's Gilette stove for the Westville: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=10&showentry=382

The queen of improvisations is Patricia King; before her was Helen Ruthberg; I have and use books by both (I also had The Complete Book of Making Miniatures by Thelma Newman and Virginia Merrill, but I gave it away since most of what was in the improv chapter is in one of Helen Ruthberg's books, too). My favorite so far was making Patricia King's Gilette stove for the Westville: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=10&showentry=382

Thanks for this information! I LOVE this stuff! I have been surfing for tips on the web but I find there are SO many sites that it is difficult to sift through and find quality information. I also find that I will end up spending more time looking for information than working on my DH (a true crime!).

I will look into those books. I just love adding to my library, and That stove is great!

I love improvisations because I can't afford to just buy everything I want. (Like most of us!) I also love how to see creative ways to use and reuse items.

Yesterday I saw a quick clip on using kids animal toys to create mounted animal heads. Its not something I would put in my DH but I thought it was a great idea.

Tea bags! I drink Red Rose tea, it stains the bag a kind of light pinkish/brown color. Cut into small strips and make a rose like you would if you were using quilling papers. Also, after you open the bag up and empty the contents, rinse and let dry - then give a spritz with some water and iron the wrinkles out. Makes a very sheer curtain, paint with some fabric paints for designs on it, and the material is pretty tough. Plus - it doesn't unravel like fabric. Can make window shades as well. It almost looks like organdy. I'm still in the experimental stage with it, but it really could have a number of uses. Also, two of the sides of the bag actually have something that looks like a hem.

One of the Chinese restaurants we went to had their fortune cookies wrapped in an oiled paper with a lovely design of a court lady in red outline that I saved to make a screen out of, but the two wrappers Ii had have gotten lost in the move...

One of the Chinese restaurants we went to had their fortune cookies wrapped in an oiled paper with a lovely design of a court lady in red outline that I saved to make a screen out of, but the two wrappers Ii had have gotten lost in the move...

You're lucky, our fortune cookies around here just come wrapped in plain cellophane! That would have made a great screen, can you go back to that restaurant again if you are back in your former area?

You're lucky, our fortune cookies around here just come wrapped in plain cellophane! That would have made a great screen, can you go back to that restaurant again if you are back in your former area?

It was a hole-in-the-wall in a strip shopping center in Bainbridge, GA, and had vanished the last year before we moved, alas! I keep looking! But, then, I'm constantly on the lookout for items to use in mini applications!

My favs are the change delivers from jewelry beads and wire. I've done chandeliers, sconces and standing candle sticks. I've also used beads for doorknobs. Fabric ribbon can be used for decorative moulding as it looks just like wood when painted. I always ribbon for window treatments too.

I have used clothes buttons from the fabric store for a bunch of different things. They sometimes have novelty buttons that are adorable. I've used pumpkin ones for decorating Halloween gardens and mice ones for the attics...:)

My favs are the change delivers from jewelry beads and wire. I've done chandeliers, sconces and standing candle sticks. I've also used beads for doorknobs. Fabric ribbon can be used for decorative moulding as it looks just like wood when painted. I always ribbon for window treatments too.

I have used clothes buttons from the fabric store for a bunch of different things. They sometimes have novelty buttons that are adorable. I've used pumpkin ones for decorating Halloween gardens and mice ones for the attics... :)

I have a fair amount of jewelry making items and I want to try to make some chandeliers. I am actually going to put in an order at fire mountain gems this week. (I am making jewelry for all the bridesmaids for my friend's

wedding. Yeah!) I can certainly make ones without electric pretty easily, I hope. But if I want to try to do an electrified version I would need some brass tubing and I am not sure where I can get an inexpensive supply. Right now I think I should just see how the non working ones would work out....

I've seen ribbon used for different things. I would LOVE to find a ribbon that I could use as a runner for my stairs. I haven't found anything yet that I like in the stores near me. I haven't looked online yet, but I'm sure I will. I'm happy because I found 1/16th inch ribbons in a bunch of colors at hobby lobby.

I just got a set of novelty buttons that included mini cookie cutters! I also got a set that had a mini power drill of all things. So much fun!

• Like 1

I just got a set of novelty buttons that included mini cookie cutters! I also got a set that had a mini power drill of all things. So much fun!

Where did you find the cookie cutter novelty buttons, if you don't mind my asking?

...if I want to try to do an electrified version I would need some brass tubing and I am not sure where I can get an inexpensive supply...

Local hobby shops; model ship and railroad people and some R/C builders use brass tubing in various diameters.

Where did you find the cookie cutter novelty buttons, if you don't mind my asking?

I got these at AC Moore in November. I am not sure if they were just for the holidays. They were with all of the other novelty buttons not with the seasonal items.

Local hobby shops; model ship and railroad people and some R/C builders use brass tubing in various diameters.

Thanks Holly. I will check out some of these. I know that most of the stores near me don't have them, at least the ones I tried. Maybe I just have to shop some more. :) I've seen then in Micro Mark but they seem so expensive there. Maybe that's just how much they cost.

The little white coffee-creamer containers make wonderful waste baskets. I always keep the used ones from our restaurant dinner; just wrap them in a napkin and drop them in my purse. I trim off the top flat rim, then paint it silver or gray, and it's perfect for an office waste basket.

• Like 1

The empty single-serving jelly packets and butter packets make wonderful sink and lavatory basins. I even cut down a jelly packet to make a 1:24 kitchen sink for the FFs. They also make lots of other things; American Miniaturist had the how-to for the set of drawers I made for the boys' bedroom in Maggie:

gallery_8_988_26023.jpg

I made the bunkbeds from basswood scraps and craftsticks.

• Like 1

I LOVE to decorate the walls of my dh's, but 1:12 picture frames cost $$. I often will look for jewelery like brooches that can be substituted for picture frames, and then I just cut a picture from a magazine, or print one out from online.

I also use the little Japanese erasers that look like desserts in my dh's.

• Like 1

Silicagel packets from pill bottles are great also. The round-solid-plastic ones make great canisters or large canned goods. Just paint them or make a label for them. I found a differently-shaped one recently that made a perfect 1:144 bed. Have to keep my eyes out for more of those. And speaking of Cracker Barrel - their jelly containers at the tables are shallow metal tubs - don't have to do anything to them, they are PERFECT metal washbasins! Good thing I don't have diabetes - I don't get to CB very often so I have to eat lots of jam while I'm there. :bear: