Talent pool

GirlPiper

While holding the basket hilt of a sword waiting for the glue to dry yesterday, I was milling over how much talent from so many areas has converged here on this forum.

Some come from general crafting, some from scrapbooking, others from model building, pattern making, sewing, needlecraft, molding, woodworking, painting, decorating, working on real houses, Some from no where in particular and finding a hobby that gratified. Certainly I've overlooked some backgrounds, and apologize if I left yours out.

What a remarkable group of people congregate here! Thanks for sharing your skills, support, and gifts. And thanks to Greenleaf for providing the platform. :bear:

• Like 9

Very true. I tried to be a real estate agent as a career, 11 years ago....I didn't have what it takes for that profession, but I did love houses and now I can build and sell them without the stress ;-) I did have a long career as a cosmetologist and I think those skills have helped me in this hobby....with balance, painting and arranging ;-)

Before I knew anything about dollhouses I made little Victorian scenes inside elaborate Christmas wreaths and sold them in craft fairs...I guess those were my first miniatures.

• Like 1

I have always loved dolls,artistic and crafty things.Made quilts,painted portraits,crafted birdhousesmade dolls,sewn clothes,crocheted,made any and everything.I was a hairstylist for 5 years and well;it just wasn't for me,I have done so many things for a living....but,my love,the thing I can always do to relax is drawing floorplans.Give me graph paper and I'm good,lol

This explains why I change every house so drastically,I want them to have interesting arrangements.

I see a spark in everyone here.Everyone has a different spark and that's what makes this forum great.I know when I have questions there is someone that can help :) Maybe some day I can help someone and pass it on !!!!

April

• Like 2

I have loved to craft ever since I was a child.... and dolls were always a favorite of mine. I still sew and crochet doll clothes that I sell on Ebay... but I love to sew, quilt, crochet, cross stitch, draw... I have a HUGE passion in photography and writing... and of course minis... but I am new to the mini world.... 2 years in March :)

• Like 1

I have been a serious crafter since I was very young. I have been passionate about decorating nearly as long. And writing......yet another passion. My first career was doing hair but it became too boring and I made better money in sales, then advertising. Eventually I was an arts and crafts director. I did quite well in the miniature teddy bear world for several years as well as dollhouse miniatures from 1/4 scale to 2" scale clear back to the 80's. It's called ADD! :)

• Like 2

I'm constantly amazed at the level of expertise and wide variety of talent on this forum.

It is a fantabulous resource center for all things art related and craft related.

I love any of the fine arts (esp dry pastel portraiture, oil painting and clay sculpting), all hand and machine work in sewing arts and yarn arts.

I adore woodworking, all manner of house renovations, photography, music (have played and taught piano and woodwind instruments).

I also enjoy dabbling in jewelry making, mosaics, stained glass (very bad at it), and cooking/baking.

I can also do a decent job in the computer tech world for most normal repairs, networking set-up and issues and do the books for our business.

As a kid I used the backs of envelopes, and every piece of scrap paper I could find to draw house plans.

My dream was to become an architect but girls didn't do that way back then.

Yeah and the ADD thing too - really bad - you should see the huge stash of UFO's at my house.

Well, gotta get some sleep right now or I'll not be good at anything by the time the little ones awaken.

• Like 2

Yeah, I have done a few of the above. Although the pay was a joke, my favorite "fun" job was working at Themeworks, Inc. and later, Scenic Productions, building life-size replicas and other items for museums, theme parks and zoos. If you have ever been to EPCOT, Universal Studios, Gaylord Palms resort in Orlando, the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, Franklin Institute in Philly or the Special Forces Museum in NC, you probably have seen some of the work I collaborated on.

I have been fascinated by house plans and architecture since I was a kid, but I didn't have the aptitude for math needed to major in architecture. Sometimes my lack of math skills complicate certain parts of my builds, and my houses may not be up to code, but only a contractor would know the difference.

• Like 4

I have been an artist all my life, My husband is an artist also, so what I dont think of he suggests and it pushes me to a new level. Sometimes in life its a matter of the opportunity to to do something, and then if all the stars align...OMG

• Like 4

There is a strong artistic strain in my family, with many professional artists and architects. I've never been a painting-artist, but creativity has escaped in many forms. I started sewing for my dolls somewhere around 6 years old, and sewed for many years. Cooking was also a favorite - adjusting old recipes, making new ones. But after the kids were grown and gone, these two occupations dwindled and my true passion for miniatures was able to blossom. And maybe, if I put out some effort, I can paint pictures in miniature!

But I love this forum, where I can ask questions and get answers, and keep learning and stretching.

• Like 2

... Although the pay was a joke, my favorite "fun" job was working at Themeworks, Inc. and later, Scenic Productions, building life-size replicas and other items for museums, theme parks and zoos. If you have ever been to EPCOT, ... you probably have seen some of the work I collaborated on. ...

YES! I've been there and loved the EPCOT center!

I've always enjoyed hobby-crafting. I started again with it as I got older with scrap-booking, and jewelry-making, then moved on to the dollhouses side. My mom and I had a Coventry by Greenleaf and also used to make and decorate picture frames and wreaths....

Since doing it in miniature, I found that I can do it in real-life...(I think it's usually the other way around!)... ;)

• Like 1

YES! I've been there and loved the EPCOT center!

The work we did there was particularly subtle- we made artificial wood "structural" rafters for the Moroccan Showcase. Of the 17 times I've been there as a tourist, I haven't been able to see the entire park in a single day yet.

At Universal we made the gigantic stone arm and trident for Poseidon's Fury, the thatched roof and "fossils" at Jurassic Park and the stage dressing at the Animal Planet show. Unfortunately, I was hired right after the install crew returned from a 7 month stint at the Atlantis Resort in the Caribbean. They made all of the ruins and themed areas around the resort.

The theme companies were the only jobs I held as an artist after earning my art degree, and some of the lowest paying.

...The theme companies were the only jobs I held as an artist after earning my art degree, and some of the lowest paying.

It's sad to read this, but unfortunately our society doesn't value this type of work as much as we should. I guess that's why I am so happy to see how much the Internet has made it possible for artists (including miniaturists) to make money selling their art. I love seeing some of the prices pieces go for on eBay. Even though its too rich for my budget, it's good to see more artists becoming successful.

• Like 3

You are so right. There are so many talented people in this forum and they have so much great information to share. I'm glad we have this type of platform. I don't think I would've been able to successfully do any miniatures with out it.

• Like 1

I think I learned almost everything I know about the miniature hobby from this forum. When I joined I had just bought my first house and had to check in every day to scour all the posts for tips and tricks etc. So a big thank you to all you forum members who helped me so much in those early days. You know who you are.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think I learned almost everything I know about the miniature hobby from this forum. When I joined I had just bought my first house and had to check in every day to scour all the posts for tips and tricks etc. So a big thank you to all you forum members who helped me so much in those early days. You know who you are.

Ditto! I knew nothing, except that I loved miniatures. Learned everthing I know about building right here on this forum from some of the most gracious and helpful people I've ever met. If the rest of the world could learn to share the way folks here do we'd all be better off.

• Like 3

Ditto! I knew nothing, except that I loved miniatures. Learned everthing I know about building right here on this forum from some of the most gracious and helpful people I've ever met. If the rest of the world could learn to share the way folks here do we'd all be better off.

I just totally agree with this. It was the first forum I joined and the members were so encouraging and supportive, not to mention how talented and stuffed with years of knowledge they all are. I was a complete newbie and in all honesty must have proudly showed off some truly terrible stuff (which I thought was pretty good at the time) and I only ever received praise and encouragement - wiping a tear from my eye as I type. thank you all just for being who you are.

Seems like we agree to agree then.

Aww Cyril, he's still sitting in his garden whiling away the hours, days and weeks.

Thank you Holly although when I look back on him he may have been lacking in technical skill but he did have a sweetness about him.

I just totally agree with this. It was the first forum I joined and the members were so encouraging and supportive, not to mention how talented and stuffed with years of knowledge they all are. I was a complete newbie and in all honesty must have proudly showed off some truly terrible stuff (which I thought was pretty good at the time) and I only ever received praise and encouragement - wiping a tear from my eye as I type. thank you all just for being who you are.

I have yet to see any cross or mean behavior. No matter the effort made, someone always makes a supportive comment.

• Like 2