Furry Houseguest Who May Have Come to Stay

woodland_miniatures

My next door neighbor has been pretty much drinking himself to death his whole life, and for the second time in a year, he's now in the hospital. We (me and two other neighbors/friends) could see him going downhill really badly the last couple of weeks, but he would NOT go to the doctor, etc. Well, two days ago his brother-in-law was alerted to how bad Doug (my neighbor) was and basically called 911 and had him hauled off to the hospital. So there Doug is now, bad pneumonia and one leg gone dead (no circulation at all and turning purple and needing to be samputated, but he wouldn't survive surgery at this point) and completely unconscious, and frankly, not expected to live this time. I made a promise the last time this happened, a year ago, that his dearly loved cat Baby Girl would always have a home, and she stayed with me then the two months that Doug was gone. And so the day after he went out in the ambulance I brought this poor, scared little cat home with me, and funnily, she settled right down and seems very happy; my Koko has had the biggest crush on this little cat since we first moved here four years ago, so he's thrilled, too. She's a sweet little thing - when I went to sleep last night she was cuddled up against the top of my head, which is pretty nice on a cold night LOL, and now is nestled under the bed covers.

Just heard from Doug's family this morning, and it really, really doesn't look good. You know, you can watch someone self-destructing for years and now in your brain how it's going to end up, but when it finally comes down to it, your heart just doesn't believe it. At this point, all of his friends are pretty much praying for this dear, sweet, utterly selfish and self-destructive man to find peace.

Meanwhile, I appear to have a dear new little friend.

Oh, Mary, Baby Girl deserves a loving human and she has obviously adopted you! It sounds as though Doug is probably totally comatose, and therefore in no physical discomfort, and I will pray he stays painfree through the end.

I'm sorry about your neighbor.....there is little you can do for him,though.I don't mean to sound uncaring or unfeeling....

I am very happy that Baby Girl has a new,stable and loving home...she so deserves that.Sounds like she is already settled in :)

Thank you all for your kind words, but honestly, I feel like I'm the one who's lucky - this cat is a total sweetheart. She's at least 15 years old and just a cuddly love. Slept curled up under the covers against my backside, purring all the time, when I took a nap this afternoon, what a little darling.

Heard from Doug's niece this evening, and she said he's not going to be coming home. Still no response or improvement in his pneumonia, he's still unconscious - although when his sister was sitting with him this afternoon and was telling him how Baby Girl was doing, he did just for a moment open his eyes. The doctor is saying that if he makes it through the weekend, but doesn't show any change, they'll transfer him to a nursing home, and stop the meds etc., just keep him comfortable and let him pass naturally. If that happens his niece said she'd be happy to take me there to say goodbye - we live in Roslyn, WA and the hospital and nursing home are in Ellensburg, 30+ miles away. In a way I'm hoping he goes peacefully in the next little while, but it'd also be good to tell him myself that his dear cat is and will be loved and cared for. Ah, well....it's in God's hands now.

He may not have taken care of himself but in the picture it looks as if he took very good care of Baby Girl. If you don't have the opportunity to tell him that she will be loved and cared for, I think he will know.

Yes, Doug cared for this little girl beautifully - she was the light of his light. And funnily, Koko has gone all territorial and chased off someone out on the porch last night - he ordinarily enjoys hanging out with the other male cats in the neighborhood. Well, now he has a Lady Faire to protect and is clearly taking that role to heart LOL.

Not so amusing is the way I'm not getting any information from Doug's family about how he is or what plsns there may be for him. They are not answering their phone or returning messages; the only information I'm able to get is by calling the Critical Care Unit and of course, since I'm not family, there's darn all little they are allowed to tell me. Friday afternoon a family member did tell me that Doug was at death's door, and then yesterday morning his nurse at the hospital told me he's awake, alert, and allowed visitors, though he still can't talk. I will not call the family again, though I will check with the hospital later today.

I KNOW the kind of stress these at death's door situations can put a family through, and sadly this is not the first time for Doug (and for the same reasons), but there are many, many people in our little town who care deeply about my friend, and I'm afraid I can only call this sheer bad manners on the family's part. As it is, I'm telling the folks who are calling me and knocking on my door what little I know, and referring them to the hospital. What else can I do?

On the other hand, if the family has been through all this before, they are probably so totally stressed out by not knowing if THIS is the time, the last thing they're thinking about is answering a lot of questions from, to them, strangers; especially when they themselves don't have any real answers. Please be patient with them.

You're absolutely right, Holly, and I'm trying. Did get a call from the brother in law this morning, and Doug was airlifted out last night to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle - one of the best in the world. If there''s anything that can be done for him, he at least is now in the place that has the facilities to do it, thank heavens. Wait and see what happens, now, and thank you all for letting me rant a little here. You gotta know I haven't been burdening the family with any of my petty little concerns LOL - they have enough on their plates right now. George (the brother in law) will be over later to get Doug's living will etc., which I and another friend knew about, but the family didn't (SIGH!), and I'm going to offer to clean out the fridge etc. It needs it, especially as it looks like Doug won't be back for quite a while....Hey, when I went through my illnesses a little while back, my neighbors did the same for me - it's what we're all here for, isn't it?

• Like 1

Brother- and sister in law (the two guys have known each other since they were six and married sisters, and George still has his sister LOL) were just over, and we looked everywhere for the will and advanced directive. Found forms and such all over the apartment, but nothing filled out or signed; I knew who Doug used as attorney and gave them the info to get in touch with him - he MAY have copies, if in fact Doug ever did more than talk. Who really knows? The place is truly horrid, but they gave me all the catfood and litter and such, and one of the eight or so 30-packs of beer he had stashed in there. I made the offer about the fridge etc., and they're in such a state of shock they just couldn't cope. Maybe later, meanwhile I don't THINK anything'll actually crawl out of the fridge for a while yet....

My heart does so go out to these folks - they're good people who don't understand how any of this stuff works, and I am so very glad that, through hard experience, I do know and can help them cope at least a little.

Oh Mary, I just read through this thread. You have been going through a lot with all of this. Blessings to you for being a great support person, and for taking on Baby Girl.

Baby Girl is adorable by the way, I am glad she is a friendly cat and can love you instantly. Had to laugh at Koko's reactions. (I wonder if my Nova or Kovu would act the same way if a girl cat showed up at my house?)

Yes, Koko is taking his Lord Protector duties pretty seriously LOL. Bless both their hearts.;)

Just heard from Doug's sister, who lives in Alabama and is on her way up here. Doug's children (he has six) have flown in from all over the country, and it was his son who had him transferred into Seattle, thank goodness. The doctors still don't quite understand what's happening with him - it wasn't a stroke, they've done a lumbar puncture looking for a spinal/brain infection, he apparently does NOT have pneumonia, but one thing is definite: his leg will indeed have to be amputated, and not just above the knee, but the entire leg. OMG! He's evidently in and out of consciousness and not able to speak, but when the kids showed up he just lit up all over. He's on an hour to hour watch, and frankly the doctors have said they don't know why he's still with us - but I'm sure having his kids there is making a huge difference. Anyway, he may or may not ever be my neighbor again, but he is hanging in there and his sister said she'll for sure keep me updated.

Thanks so much for all your concern, and support. It means a lot!

Ah, but is he strong enough to survive the amputation? Because they're going to have to act quickly to do it, if it'll save him. I'm SO glad his family is rallying to him; you know he must be a loving person under all those fumes of alcohol, to generate as much love as you're conveying.

Well, my friend Doug is at peace now. His brother in law called me a couple of hours ago and he passed maybe an hour before that, without ever really being conscious. His sister from Alabama had got here earlier in the day, so she at least had a chance to say goodbye to him, and once he was in Seattle he was never really alone - several of his kids live there or close by and others had flown in.

I'll miss my friend - but then, I've got a living, purring reminder of him always now. :)

Rest in Peace, Dear Friend.

If he never regained consciousness then he went on without pain, and that's not a bad thing, after all he went through before. We have a friend in the Tallahassee area being treated for excess fluid buildup in one leg and now that he's on meds and experiencing relief he's finally sharing how much pain he was in before. Give Baby Girl extra tummy tickles for me.