wall paper question from a newbie

Rae86

So, I followed the directions to my first ever kit, the Orchid, up until the point of starting to put pieces of the house together. I purchased some dollhouse wallpaper that I really want to put up in each room, however when I read the instructions given with the paper it stated that it should be put up before the windows are installed. Big Problem. I already glued the four smaller windows into place. What to do? Any suggestions on how to install wallpaper around the windows? The front door and bay window are not glued into place yet.

Please help with any advice that you can offer! Thanks :badmood:

Edited by Rae86

Measure twice, cut once. :) if you have put up the window trim, I would try to pop it off if possible. That way you wouldn't have to be quite as worried about getting the wallpaper cut perfectly. Or if you don't have window trim, you might consider getting it for the same reason! Covers a multitude of sins!

Best luck!

Yours from Light Fixture Hell,

Mary Anne

• Like 1

When you say paper pattern, do you mean laying out the wallpaper on top of the wall to get an idea of where to cut? Or do you mean measuring out the dimensions, or something like that?

I mean make a plain paper template. It works really well--you can just tear the paper and use the straight edges and lots of Scotch tape and make the exact shape of the wall you want to wallpaper. You can work right around the windows. Then you can cut the wallpaper exactly to fit. Just be sure you don't cut it backwards. Been there, done that. Many times.

May the Force be with you.

• Like 2

Using throw away paper, like printer paper (tape or glue more than one piece together if needed) make a pattern. You can measure or cut and tape small pieces together like a puzzle or even guestimate. It's scrap paper, try whatever method you want until you find what works best for you. Once you have made a pattern that fits perfect, trace it onto the wallpaper. The glue can make the paper stretch. Be careful. If window trims are permanent, can you add a second trim? This could be a smaller or bigger piece that even adds more architectural interest. Another option is to add a wallpaper type border where needed.

Ah, Rae, you followed the directions! The story of how I got started doing the dry fit was that those instructions about installing windows and doors to the flat walls, before the build, bothered me; I know how messy I get! You have gotten excellent advice about how to make patterns for your wallpaper. Label them carefully so that when cutting the wallpaper to fit you can also do any drop matching of the corners. I would apply the paste to the wall and start by carefully fitting the cutouts around the windows and doors and working out to the corners. I papered my first Orchid's upstairs (the general store) before assembly, built it, and then during the priming of the outside primer dripped through the side and ran down the paper, so I had to rip it out and do it over. With the plastic version I think I waited and papered after, but I did apply mylar to the inside of the gable (mirrored ceiling over the bed...)

• Like 2

Hi, Rae! I tried a few different methods for creating templates, and this one works best for me. I use index cards for my templates. I fit them to the shape of the wall or floor, taping together as I go. This is not an original idea, but I unfortunately can't remember where I read it so I can't give anyone credit.

I am sure you'll hear many different ideas here, and I suggest trying several different ones and finding the one that works best for you.

• Like 1

Debra's right: lots of way to skin this cat!

A piece of tissue paper finger-pressed against the wall will give you the outlines of the windows. Press into the ceiling, floor, and wall joints to get the size/shape of the wall. Cut it out, then fit it and tape bits of paper to adjust for an exact fit. When it is perfect, use it to trace around on your wallpaper.

Be sure to mark the front and back of the template.

If you turn the template over, you can do the drawing and cutting on the white back of the wallpaper and avoid pencil marks on the front.

The hint about putting the glue on the wall instead of the paper is a good one.

I like to fit the paper along the floor edge and then gently "roll" it up the wall. It's easier to adjust the placement a bit if the entire piece isn't stuck to the wall.

• Like 1

Newbie to newbie, I followed the stupid directions too. Never again. I couldn't get any of my inside trim off when it came to paper so I did the paper template with printer paper. I allowed an extra 1/2 inch around the edges. For the windows and door I slit my pattern to the corners of the openings and dry fit it to make sure it was really going to cover the edges and penciled any adjustments. Before putting up the wallpaper I did the same to it.

Before putting up the paper I put down masking tape on edges that weren't getting papered. I used a brush and Yes glue on the wall surfaces - not the paper! I pressed the wallpaper in place and used an old credit card and a straight edge to smooth it. Then I let the paper completely dry (this was the hardest bit because I was anxious to see how it was going.) Next I went in with an Xacto knife with a brand new blade and slowly cut away the excess. I then peeled up the masking tape.

It's daunting, but remember that everyday people are wallpapering their own homes in cramped little corners with paper that is much more pricey. I have a gallery album of my little Orchid.

• Like 1

I had a bad experience with smoothing the wallpaper with a credit card; I have a small wooden brayer I think was meant to use withwallpaper borders that works just dandy for dh wallpaper to get the lump and bubbles to go away.

You can also use the left over punched out plywood to use as a pattern to get you started. Lay it down on paper and trace the edges and then add a bit. Then fit as needed. At least that will out you in the ballpark.

You can also use the left over punched out plywood to use as a pattern to get you started. Lay it down on paper and trace the edges and then add a bit. Then fit as needed. At least that will out you in the ballpark.

If you've followed the kit instructions precisely you still have to cut out the wondows and doorways with their trim on them, which is why so much discussion has been given to the making of templates and patterns.

I would like to also add, if you paint the wall along the edges of the top and the bottom or anywhere there might be a gap in your wall paper,with a paint matching the background color of your wallpaper if gaps do happen they will be a lot less noticeable.

• Like 1

I usually cut my wallpaper a bit generously, lapping the sides a little bit; once the paste is totally dry I go back with a very sharp, new knifeblade and trim along the sorners, removing the excess.

Wow, thanks for all of the advice everyone! I haven't gotten a chance to do anything with the wallpaper yet as I've been focused on the upcoming birth of our baby, and having just found out that I got into my graduate school program of choice (hallelujah!!!) but definitely plan to do some work on the dh this weekend

Yes, I am completely guilty of following the instructions with the kit. Somehow even early on I had the feeling that if I wanted to add any "extras", I was going to run into a snag like this one later on in the process.

You're about to have a baby, headed to graduate school AND working on a dollhouse? I applaud you for being so devoted to moving forward in life, being a Mom and best of all, building a dollhouse/doing something for yourself. It is the perfect escape and you can do it right at home.

• Like 1

Yeah, I enjoy a little insanity in my life lol. Its probably why I chose to work in the social services field :bounce:

Working on my dollhouse is my little escape from reality; I find it really relaxing to do

Edited by Rae86