Question for left-handers...

Robin

I consider myself a crafty type person. I like quilting, polymer clay, minis, etc. But I absolutely cannot crochet or knit!! My mom and a couple of my older sisters (righties) have tried to teach me many times over the years but we all just get frustrated! My other older sister was a leftie but she did it the "right" way. All the books I know of are geared towards righties. I even went to a class at Michael's. They gave me my money back because the teacher couldn't help me! Everyone else in the class was a rightie too. I really want to learn so I can add more personal touches to my dollhouse (and my lifesize life too) rather than just buying things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, other than saying "Just reverse the directions. If it says right hand, use your left." Tried it, failed miserably too many times to count. Guess my brain just doesn't work that way!

I know exactly how you feel. When I first learned to knit I was about nine and my g/mother tried so hard to teach me. I was left-handed and the only one in the family who was. I was determined I was going to teach myself the righthanded way. I picked up all the books I could and practiced and practiced and finally got it. The same with crocheting. I've never regretted and I hope you don't give up.

I found you this link...Karen`s left handed knitting.

If you go down the page it has instructions.

Here is another one called learn left handed knitting.

How to crochet left handed

And here is Crochet.org with lefty instructions.

I hope these give you some direction. I am righthanded and both my mother, sister, and my mom`s friend tried to teach me to knit and crochet.. I am so frustrated with it! Cannot do it!

I use a plastic knitting circle with a hook. Took me a few trials and errors but I can make scarves, hats, mini blankets, dishrags, etc etc. I want to get a knitting board next and expand my crafting.

I wish I lived close by,

I'm a lefty too, My mother was too.

I find to figure out a pattern with pictures to place it in front of a mirror and it turns it around to what I would see.

I have also taught right handed people by setting them in front of me and that way it will look to them as if they where doing it.

try those web sight they sound great, I will to. Once you get the basic stiches every thing will fall into place.

II even went to a class at Michael's. They gave me my money back because the teacher couldn't help me! Everyone else in the class was a rightie too. I really want to learn so I can add more personal touches to my dollhouse (and my lifesize life too) rather than just buying things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, other than saying "Just reverse the directions. If it says right hand, use your left." Tried it, failed miserably too many times to count. Guess my brain just doesn't work that way!

I am a leftie who tried but failed to learn to knit. I took classes at a high school and was told just "reverse the directions and you should be fine". This did not work for me in knitting or crocheting classes. I find it really difficult to try to learn a new skill when you also try to think of the instructions in a different way. I did finally crochet one pot holder that became the only thing I made in a series of classes. I made it right handed so it was slow going. Another problem I had being left handed was when I made beaded Christmas ornaments for my tree. The instructions in books were written for a right handed person. It was easier here to think "backwards" and sew the beads in the opposite direction from what the pattern called for. I am going to try the links and see it I can try again. My friends are all knitting when they have free time or down time, even waiting for appointments.

I am a leftie. My right handed grandmother tried to teach me to knit right handed, and we both gave up in frustration. Years later, I bought an instruction book and learned to knit right handed--so much easier!! It was awkward at first, like any new skill, and my first project was suitable only for the round file. By my third project, I had mastered Aran knitting and can knit almost anything.

To me it makes no difference that I knit right handed. You use both hands in knitting, so learning to do it the way everyone else does is just so much easier than figuring out how to reverse every move.

Jeri

I can do needlework with either hand, I knit righthanded the same way I knit lefthanded, so I don't do it the "right"way. I'm not really ambidextrous, and I do everything else with my right hand (except I can also use a wire whisk with either hand in cooking).

Of course everyone knows each side of your brain controls the opposite hand, so "lefties" are the only ones in their right mind!

I'm a lefty too and I can't crochet but wish I could! I'll check out those links as well.

My grandma and aunt both tried to teach me how to crochet but gave up, as did I.

I can knit however......only on one side though.......it's pretty sad......haven't tried it in years lol

I'm a leftie but never had a problem with knitting. People some times think it was made on a machine. :lol:

I knit just like a righty, but I move my other hand.

Crochet is a different story. It just doesn't work for me and I cann't follow the instructions. :o

I am right handed

and everyone in my family at one time or another made wonderful crchet and knitted items

this would be my mother and her mother and all 4 of my aunts

and each and every one of them at one time or another has tried to teach me.... I have been unable to learn

just dont get it. the only thing I was ever able to do with any skill was make beaded socks for my daughter and all of her friends when they were younger. and the whole twirling group.

but that consist of only 1 row of crochet.

I actually can only get about 3 or 4 rows before it starts gathering up

I cannot keep the tension. and I want to so bad. but it alludes me. I do have to say...since they all feel sorry for me I have the most wonderful collection of handmade afgahns. :p

now I do enjoy embrodery but counted cross stitch just plain gets on my nerves! you girls who make those to die for items! Standing Ovation. clap clap clap

I like to Latch hook and needle punch! just got a new needle punch tool at micheals sat and Im looking forward to making one of (oops) welcome mats. what a great job that was.

so cheer up. if it was ment for you to crochet or knit you would be doing it! :o ;)

nutti :lol:

I am one of those "lefties" which my father also is, but he was forced in school to learn to write with his right hand which is another story...

But my mother is one of those really right handed persons who can not make good use of her left hand, it is just sort of an "odd attachement" to her as she says LOL

When me and my brother were really young she was a stay at home mum and used to earn some extra money by knitting/crocheting/embroidering those items that a yarn shop displayed in the shop so I "imjitated" her at a very early age and somehoe never got to think if I learnt it doing it like a left handed person or not which I think might have helped me in the process so I do knit and corchet and emroider with the right hand as well as use the scissors, BUT if it is something tiny and fiddly like small snippets or small stitches I will use the left hand.

Another thing that my firneds and family have had some fun about is that I use the right hand for applying make up to the right eye and the left for the left...

Hugs

I'm also left handed and I knit the right handed way. My Mom and Gramma were both right handed and I learned from them. It's not hard, once you learn the knack to it. One of my father's sister's is a leftie and she tried to show me how to knit left handed. She held the whole thing backwards and used her left hand to move the yarn. I was so confused after watching her that I decided to knit right handed. I also do embroidery, needlepoint and counted cross stitch with my right hand.

Holly, of course everyone knows that " left handed people are the only ones in their right minds". :wave: But did you also know that "God only made so many perfect people, the others he made right handed". :wave:

lyn

I'd just learn right handed. Sinisters are very adaptable. I play guitar and bass right handed, ever seen the price of a left handed guitar or bass? I figured they don't make left handed pianos or violins. BTW Mark Knopfler and CC Devile are sinisters who play right handed.

I am left handed. My Mom taught me to crochet right handed. Unfortunately I never learned to knit. Cross stitch I do left handed. I bat and catch right handed...shoot pool left handed. I am all mixed up!! Good luck on your endeavor to learn!! :)

I'm a lefty too. believe it or not I knitted and crocheted in my youth. lived with mom and four sisters. mom was a lefty so I was taught left handed

so keep trying lefties can do anything (this comment probly has the guys wandering)

I'm a lefty too. believe it or not I knitted and crocheted in my youth. lived with mom and four sisters. mom was a lefty so I was taught left handed

so keep trying lefties can do anything (this comment probly has the guys wandering)

That would be,........why?

I am right handed . My father is right handed and my mother was left handed. I do small stuff with my right hand and write with it as well. I cook, clean house, such as dishes , sweeping, dusting, sew on a sewing machine, apply makeup left handed. Hand sewing is done right handed, I eat with either hand usually according to which piece of silverwear is on the side of my plate. I have ben observed eating with a salad or dinner fork left handed them picking up a spoon right handed and eating. I consider myself right handed with ambidexterous tendancies. lol

Melissa