Wallpapering around bay windows

Tag395

Hi I am another Newbie and have just joined this forum. I was able to purchase the Painted Lady by Real Good toys from Hobby Lobby.They sold me the model using a 40% off coupon.

THe model already has up all the interior framing around the windows. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to wall paper around these bay windows. I have already bought the wall paper from Itsybitsiwallper company. I am using one color paper at the top, the border in the middle and a coordinating wallpaper at the bottom?

Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks so much

Tracy

If all the windows are in and glued, I would probably paint the bay area a color to coordinate with the room paper and maybe use a paper with a border that I could use at the top of the bay window area to tie the areas together.

• Like 2

Welcome Tracy~

I just got a Beacon Hill already built and am wondering the same thing. I've been thinking about making a piece of cardstock just right, to place in the bay where the wallpaper goes and wallpaper that. I've read bits and pieces here where people talk about papering matboard? Posterboard? Cardstock? I believe if the right glues are used and the pieces are weighted until they dry that is the way to paper an awkward spot.

Please.......don't listen to me :) This is what I have put together from my interpretation of answers here. I am hoping more input on this will help us both :) Can anyone tell me if this sounds right?

You'll be getting alot of advice and input on how to make the most of this forum. I love it here and know you will too. My advice and input is to have fun and post lots of pictures :)

Enjoy!

Morgan

If all the windows are in and glued, I would probably paint the bay area a color to coordinate with the room paper and maybe use a paper with a border that I could use at the top of the bay window area to tie the areas together.

This idea is far easier, I am sure. My problem is the walls will need alot of work to look good painted and I am hoping to hide all that with wallpaper. If your walls are nice, I'd go with this. Also, if you are planning curtains in the bay they cover alot up.

Good luck!

To fix your walls before painting, smear a tiny bit of spackle over the wall with your finger until it looks smooth. Once it's thoroughly dry, go back and sand it. Then I'd give it a coat of primer and either paint or wallpaper it. To wallpaper an already finished wall with windows I'd cut bits of scrappaper to fit between the frames, with larger pieces to fit the wall above and below the windows and tape or paste them all together. Then you have a pattern to lay on acidfree card and carefully cut around with a craftkinfe and fit to your wall. Once it's perfect, paste your paper onto the card and stick it on the wall.

• Like 4

So glad we got your input holly. I too have been worried about this. I can't work well in the spots I have to hide so am going to try the wallpaper method.

Tracy, I would be grateful to know how yours goes if it happens first. I'm an experienced builder but I have always wallpapered before. This ought to be interesting.

• 11 months later...

I don't think so smearing a tiny bit of spackle over the wall with your finger will really help as when one of my friend did it the wall became irregular and small blisters like things where created on the wall.

Maybe if your friend had gone back when the spackle was dry and sanded it flat & smooth, as I mentioned in my post, he wouldn't have had the bumps. Spackle fills the irregularities in the grain, then sanding removes the bumps; but it has to be thoroughly dry.

• Like 1

I just got a Beacon Hill already built and am wondering the same thing. I've been thinking about making a piece of cardstock just right, to place in the bay where the wallpaper goes and wallpaper that. I've read bits and pieces here where people talk about papering matboard? Posterboard? Cardstock? I believe if the right glues are used and the pieces are weighted until they dry that is the way to paper an awkward spot.

This was exactly how I planned to wallpaper pre-assembled Garfield house before we abandond the project. It would have been more work, but it would have left room for error.

Cut the piece of paper to size, ceiling to floor covering the windows. Then dry fit it using your fingernail into each corner. Once you are happy with the fit, paste it to the wall and cut the windows out with a sharp blade after the paste has dried completely.

To fix your walls before painting, smear a tiny bit of spackle over the wall with your finger until it looks smooth. Once it's thoroughly dry, go back and sand it. Then I'd give it a coat of primer and either paint or wallpaper it. To wallpaper an already finished wall with windows I'd cut bits of scrappaper to fit between the frames, with larger pieces to fit the wall above and below the windows and tape or paste them all together. Then you have a pattern to lay on acidfree card and carefully cut around with a craftkinfe and fit to your wall. Once it's perfect, paste your paper onto the card and stick it on the wall.

I 2nd Holly's recommendation of the spackle then sand - I'm currently working on my first dollhouse (an Orchid) and wanted to paint the attic so I did a thin coat of spackle using a cut-up credit card, let it try overnight and did a lot of sanding, it was messy but it looks practically perfect (I'll be posting pictures of it soon)

Edited by anthrogirl
  • Like 1

Maybe if your friend had gone back when the spackle was dry and sanded it flat & smooth, as I mentioned in my post, he wouldn't have had the bumps. Spackle fills the irregularities in the grain, then sanding removes the bumps; but it has to be thoroughly dry.

I wonder what happened to 'angelopedro'? I see Holly's reply to him (above),and her copy of his comment that preceded her remarks back to him,but not his original post. When I looked him up in the members list,I couldn't click on his profile...I'm off topic,but just curious!!

The wallpaper on card stock approach also works. Rather than gluing the wallpaper to another heavier stock, I've created my own paper and printed it out onto heavy stock through my inkjet printer. I then use a matte spray sealant after letting the inkjet ink dry for 24 hours and it's good to go!

If you make your template with a lighter paper first, you can then use the template as a pattern to cut out the heavier stock.

I wonder what happened to 'angelopedro'? I see Holly's reply to him (above),and her copy of his comment that preceded her remarks back to him,but not his original post. When I looked him up in the members list,I couldn't click on his profile...I'm off topic,but just curious!!

Flagged as a spammer, but I can't tell why since the posts get deleted when the person is flagged. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

Also I moved this topic to General Mini Talk. :)

• Like 2

Tracy,

I 'finished' the Painted Lady a few years ago. Note the quotes around 'finished'. There are pictures in my gallery, may help you with ideas. I'm a big wallpaper fan myself, so I see where you are going with this. I like to use regular paper, or file folders, etc to make templates. It can be time consuming, but I think if you can get your templates made to fit around the window trim, you should be able to cut your wallpaper pieces to fit in there well enough that you may be happy with the result. I'm no expert by any means, but if you're determined to do wallpaper, maybe this will help you out. Best of luck! Can't wait to see pictures!

Stefani

• Like 1