(I'm so sorry if this is not the right place to post this, I can remove it if it's not. I'm just trying to find my way around these forums and I think I'm not able to upload photos until I've been here longer... So I thought I would just create a forum post with the photos instead. Question for members: Where are we generally supposed to post our update photos and descriptions of how things are going?)

Unboxing My Willow Dollhouse Kit:

My dollhouse kit arrived the other day in the mail! I haven't begun work or anything yet, I'm going to study the guide a little before starting and I have to get supplies on Sunday before I can do much anyway. But I made a little "unboxing" video and took some photos in case anyone was curious what this kit looks like straight from the mail.

(These images are from the diary entry I wrote, you can see it all here. The video I made can be viewed here.)

20130417_163956.jpg

My kitty Twitch thinks this is all about him…

20130417_164017.jpg

Front view of the box. The back was plain with the shipping info. So you
can see that they didn’t hide the fact that it’s a dollhouse. Thought
I’d mention that in case you’re someone who’s buying one of these as a
surprise gift. This one was shipped from Overstock.com.

20130417_164033.jpg

The opened box. The shingles there were already popped out of their
sheet when I opened it. I guess it got a little knocked around in
transit.

20130417_164039.jpg

Closeup views of those shingles and the little bits that I’m not sure if
they’re important? (Those little tiny bits you see, smaller than the
shingles)… Probably not, but I’ll keep them until I’m positive…

20130417_164046.jpg

Some of the wood damage on one of the sheets.

20130417_164053.jpg

Wood distortion on the back of one of the sheets.

20130417_164057.jpg

Another angle. Lots of little pieces.

20130417_164104.jpg

Closeup view of those little bits I mentioned before.

20130417_164109.jpg

If you can’t tell, it is massive! Haha. It weighs 30 lbs according to Overstock.com

tumblr_mlf3oqYJgd1qz8um6o1_500.jpg

I love this. The instructions to the instructions. “DON’T PANIC!”… Well now I am totally going to panic, thanks. ;)

If you're interested you can see more of the images on my diary entry, I couldn't post them all in this post.

I've built two Willows and they are nice houses. Posted some photos in the gallery if you are interested. Also, you can download some instructions that are better than the ones that come with the kit. I have tried to post a link to it but could not. Just type in "willow instructions" in the search box above and you can find them. The little pieces are not anything. They are just scraps from some of the cuttings. The wood damage is normal. You will need some Spackle or some such to repair it. The window frames are notorious for falling apart so remove carefully. Take your time and read the instructions, then read them again and then read them again! If I can help at all or answer any questions or post a photo of part of the construction just let me know. They are others here as well that will do the same. Welcome!

This is so exciting! Now, there will probably come a time when you want to throw that whole house out a 3rd floor window, but don't. That feeling will pass after a bit and you'll be ready to continue with you building. :0)

And Doc Green is right - the instructions that you download will be MUCH more helpful than the ones that come in the box. Be prepared for Twitch to inspect the rooms once you get the shell together, too. Kitties and dollhouses were made for each other, I think.

I'm so excited for you! I look forward to pictures of your build as it comes together.

I prefer spackle to wood putty to repair icky places on the plywood's "wrong" side. The wee scraps off of the shingles sheets can be used to fill gaps in the shingle line, the other scrap parts will fill any gaps spackle won't. For heaven's sake, DON'T PANIC!!! This is not rocket science, this is like a simple jigsaw puzzle with glue and clamps (or masking tape) and the world will not come to an end if you make mistakes. The Twitchy One will be a great help at keeping it all in perspective. When you have made five posts you can make albums in the Gallery here, and you can update your build in THIS topic; please do not start a new topic for each and every new step of your build, it can all go here.

As you go through your sheets, make sure you keep track. I put related pieces in baggies after labeling them and I also label the baggie with what pieces are in it and which sheets they came from. Read the directions several times through. Then make sure you dry fit it before doing anything major. That way you can see how the pieces fit together, where to paint, where to wall paper, label which is the floor, which is the ceiling, right side interior, left side interior, etc. It will go a long way to prevent mistakes as you build.

Keep posting so you can start a gallery here. Looking forward to watching your progress.

When I open the box I keep a roll of masking tape handy and use bits of it to put pieces back in their plywood sheets that have fallen out; then I put the sheets into numerical order as I check each one against the schematics sheet to make sure everything is on it that's supposed to be there. Someone has suggested and I agree to go over each sheet number with a pencil or Sharpie marker. This I do after I've read through the instruction sheet at least one time. Then I read through the instruction sheet again, then close the box and give the kit a day or two to start talking. If it doesn't, then I start the dry fitwith the instruction sheet and masking tape. If it does speak I still start the dry fit, but with an eye to how I'm going to have to change or ignore the instructions to give the house what it wants.

I've built two Willows and they are nice houses. Posted some photos in the gallery if you are interested. Also, you can download some instructions that are better than the ones that come with the kit. I have tried to post a link to it but could not. Just type in "willow instructions" in the search box above and you can find them. The little pieces are not anything. They are just scraps from some of the cuttings. The wood damage is normal. You will need some Spackle or some such to repair it. The window frames are notorious for falling apart so remove carefully. Take your time and read the instructions, then read them again and then read them again! If I can help at all or answer any questions or post a photo of part of the construction just let me know. They are others here as well that will do the same. Welcome!

Thanks so much! I'll check out your work on the willow right now. :) And that's good to know there are some more instructions, these that came with the kit are fine and all but they seem a little less explanatory than I was hoping... And good to know wood damage is normal and those little pieces aren't important! I was a little scared at first, haha.

This is so exciting! Now, there will probably come a time when you want to throw that whole house out a 3rd floor window, but don't. That feeling will pass after a bit and you'll be ready to continue with you building. :0)

And Doc Green is right - the instructions that you download will be MUCH more helpful than the ones that come in the box. Be prepared for Twitch to inspect the rooms once you get the shell together, too. Kitties and dollhouses were made for each other, I think.

I'm so excited for you! I look forward to pictures of your build as it comes together.

Haha after seeing the "pets being bad" gallery on here, I think you're completely right about that! :D

I prefer spackle to wood putty to repair icky places on the plywood's "wrong" side. The wee scraps off of the shingles sheets can be used to fill gaps in the shingle line, the other scrap parts will fill any gaps spackle won't. For heaven's sake, DON'T PANIC!!! This is not rocket science, this is like a simple jigsaw puzzle with glue and clamps (or masking tape) and the world will not come to an end if you make mistakes. The Twitchy One will be a great help at keeping it all in perspective. When you have made five posts you can make albums in the Gallery here, and you can update your build in THIS topic; please do not start a new topic for each and every new step of your build, it can all go here.

Thanks for the advice! :) I'll get some spackle when I go out for supplies this weekend. And I'll keep all the scraps just in case they come in handy. Glad to hear it's not as scary as it seems at first! haha.

As you go through your sheets, make sure you keep track. I put related pieces in baggies after labeling them and I also label the baggie with what pieces are in it and which sheets they came from. Read the directions several times through. Then make sure you dry fit it before doing anything major. That way you can see how the pieces fit together, where to paint, where to wall paper, label which is the floor, which is the ceiling, right side interior, left side interior, etc. It will go a long way to prevent mistakes as you build.

Keep posting so you can start a gallery here. Looking forward to watching your progress.

I'm loving how organizational this whole thing is, I actually really love doing organizing tasks so I think this definitely will be a nice relaxation project for me in a strange way. :) Glad to know about the "dry fit" thing, I wouldn't have thought of that, but it's a really good point.

Wow! The willow looks like it is gonna be an extensive labor of love lol

Definitely! Haha.

When I open the box I keep a roll of masking tape handy and use bits of it to put pieces back in their plywood sheets that have fallen out; then I put the sheets into numerical order as I check each one against the schematics sheet to make sure everything is on it that's supposed to be there. Someone has suggested and I agree to go over each sheet number with a pencil or Sharpie marker. This I do after I've read through the instruction sheet at least one time. Then I read through the instruction sheet again, then close the box and give the kit a day or two to start talking. If it doesn't, then I start the dry fitwith the instruction sheet and masking tape. If it does speak I still start the dry fit, but with an eye to how I'm going to have to change or ignore the instructions to give the house what it wants.

Sounds like a great plan, I think take it slow and do it like you suggest.

Thanks all for your comments!

Edited by beyourpet

So excited for you!

And I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the pic of your four-footed inspector already making himself comfortable on the box! I have a similar picture of my cat, Max! :D And yes, your fur-baby will no doubt make sure to inspect each and every room throughout your build - just to make sure you are doing it correctly. :bigwink:

I really like the Willow and will look forward to watching your progress.

Can't wait to see what you get done on your first day! I just stared the orchid last Monday! One week down and I feel I have gotten pretty far. When is your wedding? Curious to know how long you have to get the card holder done. LOL

I've been looking all over for alternate instructions for the Willow and haven't found anything other than the guide it came with. :/ Do you happen to know where there might be some? For some reason I'm not getting relevant results when I search on here...

Try here

http://www.corona-concepts.com/instructions.htm

choose your house in the drop down box

That's the instructions the kit came with. Thank you though. Maybe they used to not come with those and so they were considered alternate instructions for a while, but they had those in the box in my kit.