bad decison ?

ZOESMAMA

this is my second dollhouse (Fairfield) and I am wondering if it was a bad idea to construct before doing any type of painting or decorating .. when I started I wanted was thinking it would be one project at a time 1) building 2) painintng) 3) interior. the first house I did was done in a different way because I had a work shop to use, this time I constructing in my kitchen so I thought it would be easier this way...did I make a mistake, can my house still look beautiful or did I mess everything up ?

• Like 1

You can build first and paper and paint afterwards. I suggest you wait on the trim because it's easier (and in my opinion, looks nicer) if you paint it before installing it. If you are only part way through the build right now you might want to pause to look at hard to reach areas to see if you want to paper, or at least paint them before moving forward. But rest assured that you can do these steps after construction. You haven't messed it up. With half scale it's just sometimes a little trickier getting into small spots, but then again, with this size house you can lay it on its side, etc. So have fun! :)

Nah, it will still look beautiful! I have a hard time visualizing what I want to do with the inside of the house before it's at least partially assembled. You might consider getting flooring and wallpaper into the foyer before enclosing that area because it's hard to reach once assembled. But everything else is definitely doable once the house is put together... I speak from experience. :)

My pics here will give you an idea of how much I decorated at each stage of the build. But there are plenty of ways to skin the cat! And as others mentioned in your other thread, you'll be able to use wallpaper, trim, etc. to cover up gaps, so in that situation you need to wait until after assembly to do the decorating.

• Like 1

I built two Fairfields at the same time, one of them inside out, to be halves of a Bar Harbor summer cottage. I did a LOT of bashing and several dry fits before I ever put in the first bead of glue; and then took some things apart and fiddled with them before gluing them again. based on what those little rascals wanted and what I could access, I did some of the decorating before assembly, some of it during assembly, and some of it afterwards. I find the order I do things depends a lot on what the house I'm building wants.