Favorite Half Scale by Greenleaf

morgansmith

I am wanting to build one of the Greenleaf Half Scale kits. Now that they have been out a few years and some of you have built more than one even, I am curious. Which kit is your favorite and why? And perhaps some of the unexpected negatives. Like, perhaps a kit has no wall space. I don't know. Just anything to help me pick a favorite :) So far, I am thinking about 6 different ones. I must narrow it down :)

The lasercut Lighthouse went together so fast I didn't stop long enough to do the bashing for the stairs!

The Fairfields were a lot of fun, especially to noodle through the changes I had to make to do the bashes they wanted. If I built another I'd rethink how I make the stairs to the third floor and I'd definitely do another bash to open the tower's third floor to the rest to make it a usable room.

Those are the only two 1:24 GL kits I've built.

• Like 2

I have built the Rosedale. Victoriana, and a Dianna is 85% finished....

The Victoriana was the first house I ever built...I ordered it before I knew of such a thing as half scale...or Greenleaf....

so it is of course my favorite...and you can hang it on a wall....as with all houses and this question I just have this to say.....if its screaming at you to be YOURS and you can think of all kinds of lovely things to do to it...than that is the house to build....each house is unique with its wall space and room size and in this scale you should be prepared to make your furnishing...some things that are half scale may not fit the room you have in mind for it...for whatever reason.....but you will adapt

I have a half scale Brimbles calling my name but I am refusing to start it until my Dianna is finished...I dont think she likes her color so she is uncooperative and sulking on a shelf... if I were to order another kit I would build the Chantilly...love the layout and the stairs!!!

as with all things I think half the fun is the dreaming and planning!!

and I would SOOOO love to build the lighthouse!!!

• Like 1

So Ms. Nutti by Nature :) I am curious. It looks to me like the Rosedale has alot of space. Also, the one side wall that has no windows etc. the whole three stories, could I add a fireplace there?

I'm really appreciating these answers. I do well with variety in order to work according to my mood. I want something different from my Beacon Hill to change the pace. I'm thinking a half scale anything is quite a change :)

My choices are: Fairfield, Rosedale, Chantilly, Buttercup, Tennyson and the Diana. If the Victoriana came back it would be on the list.

I've built the Diana (want to order another) and Buttercup (have another in my stash), and am working on the Rosedale.

I adore the Diana for all it's trim and intricate windows, then again, all those little openings required a LOT of patience painting them because I didn't want the paint blobbing up and obscuring the details. I love it's front porch with inset steps, and it's fairly roomy inside. I did not use the kit stairs. I cut down a Houseworks set, but was never happy with placement. I will probably move them in the next one. If you're looking for wall space this house doesn't have a lot of it. The bay windows use up a lot of space as do the stairs, if you leave them in place. But I love this little house!

The Buttercup is fairly quick to build and has some small challenges. I decided to close up window openings after the fact so that made it a little more difficult. I also tried a new technique with plaster on this house and it was another challenge. But it's a petite and charming house. It's also so versatile for bashing. My one complaint is that I don't really like the trim on the doors and bay, but that's just me and I was too afraid to start cutting and changing the shape.

I love the Rosedale. I didn't build the stairs the way the instructions said to do it, and they are somewhat complicated, but I enjoyed doing them and they went together well despite my approach to the build. The floors also have portions that extend beyond the exterior walls as they are roofs (the bays) and the stoop. Planning has been the challenge with this house, but it's easy to bash (see my skylight and dormer addition). Rooms are somewhat small, but it's very quaint and old fashioned, and I've really come to like its layout.

I've got the Lighthouse, Chantilly, Arthur, Brimbles, Tennyson and 2nd Buttercup stashed, and think I'll get a Willow now too, plus that 2nd Diana. I haven't built the half scale Tennyson yet, but am almost finished with the big one. It's stairs are funky and I plan to change them completely in the half scale model (it will be a surprise!). The roof is tricky because there are almost no tab attachments and it needs support while the glue is drying. The half scale one may be less difficult because of the difference in wood thickness and weight. Kellyannmo could tell you...she recently finished one.

:)

• Like 1

So Ms. Nutti by Nature :) I am curious. It looks to me like the Rosedale has alot of space. Also, the one side wall that has no windows etc. the whole three stories, could I add a fireplace there?

I'm planning to add a fireplace on that wall. :)

• Like 1

The Rosedale is quite roomy! all the half scale furniture kits I purchased for the Diana fits in there alot easier...and a fireplace would go nicely!

very easy build with lots of possibilities!

:banana:

• Like 1

I love both the Rosedale and Chantilly, both of which remain mostly built but unfinished. I love the look of both. The Rosedale was easier to put together and has more wall space, but the Chantilly has so much character.

• Like 2

I love the Fairfield......I wish I would have wallpaper the walls on first floor before I put ceiling on in living and dining room. I had to take the stairs out so many times, that there are some parts of the house I not gluing in until the finale.

• Like 1

This is really nice getting so much valuable input. I've never had several houses going at once but by mid summer, including the Fling, I hope to have 5 in progress, not counting 2 that need finish work. That should give me a home for most of the pieces I have that are favorites.

I don't care for the three 'boxy' houses, Willow, VanBuren & ? I am waiting for my husband on lighthouses, which he wants to be part of and the RL house to do list is too long. I don't want to do a store in 1/2 scale either. We're talking fairy house right now. The main guideline I have to give myself is the theme must be cheerful. I like the windows in the Rosedale and Chantilly for a base for a fairy house. Do those seem to be the two with really great shaped windows?

• Like 1

...... The main guideline I have to give myself is the theme must be cheerful. I like the windows in the Rosedale and Chantilly for a base for a fairy house. Do those seem to be the two with really great shaped windows?

They both have nice windows. The Rosedale windows are arched and have screen printed inserts. The Chantilly windows are more gothic with straight lines. I can see the Chantilly as a fairy house, but must admit I'm trying to visualize the Rosedale as such. All the others I've seen (and my own) are more conservative. I'd love to see it as a fairy house! :D

• Like 1

Pat~ Parts of every one of my builds are tacky waxed into place, just in case.

Debora~ Every kit should be laser cut but I personally have never had a problem with non laser cut.

Fairy House, Rosedale.......Actually, the chantilly is more 'obvious' (when you really look at it the chantilly is a versatile house, it is definiteky on my list) and the Rosedale is perfect only if you see the inspiration house I did. It's a more unique idea I want to try. But.......I have a zillion ideas. I am building a shabby chic Beacon Hill. I bought the shell on craigslist. I have a 1/4 scale house to do and want a 1/144 and 1/2 scale to work on. Silly, but I need the variety. My ultimate 1/144 goal is to replicate my 1/12 BH. So the one thing my half scale won't be is white & pastel shabby chic. All ideas are welcome :)

I intend to do the Spring Fling too. We'll see what inspiration that brings. And today, I plan to get my Dad's opinion as it is my birthday money from him I will buy this with. That's why it's got to be special. And I love all the Greenleaf kits but have waited forever to get one and really want to have fun with this smaller build. I got the 1/4 scale Dove Point last year. That became the priority because Karen Cary who makes the kit was here in Portland and I bought it directly from her. Hmmm.......how to get Greenleaf here :) Hey Dean..........

• Like 1

....the Rosedale is perfect only if you see the inspiration house I did. It's a more unique idea I want to try. ....

What's the inspiration house? Is there a picture?

• Like 1

Debora~ It's something I've been wanting to try in miniature for forever. If I can't use it for the Fling, I'll post it next week otherwise, ya gotta wait till September. :)

I showed my Dad the choices. He was blase in his praise until he saw the Diana. A Diana but with the interior like the Buttercup. What's everyone like about the Diana?

• Like 1

I have loved the Diana since I first saw it...because of the porch....I absolutely love all the bric-brac that makes that house special....

unfortunately my lil house hates me and is sulking on a shelf till I figure out WHY...its 85% completed and I have most of my furniture kits for it built but still it sulks!

I dont think it likes the pink color I chose for the outside...SIGH...such a Diva

:bangin:

• Like 2

I have built several and still have a few more to go but I have to say that my all time favorite half scale is still the Fairfield. I love the realistic layout, with all the nooks and crannies inside. Love the detail of the fireplaces, built in shelving and the kitchen side door. The wrap around porch and chimney which is visible in the attic as well and not just in the exterior. Its a lovely little mansion. I also prefer the size proportion of the Fairfield compared to the laser cut models, which have smaller proportions even though they are half scale as well. If you just want one half scale, the Fairfield would be your best bet. If your like me and want them all though, then it wouldn't matter which comes first..lol

• Like 2

I love the Diana :wub:

I too love the porch and the full moon grill in the front. I also love the multi-light panes on either side of the front double doors. I like that they open like a split door too. Even though they use a lot of wall space, I do like the bays as well. They're roomy...I'm setting one up as a reading alcove and the other is to be a greenhouse window.

One of the surprises I got with the Diana is that the Palladian style windows in front, the bays, the front window lights, and the round windows mullions are all laser cut. No silk screen windows in this beauty (for the record I like the silk screen windows, but some don't). It also is one of the challenges! There are lots of little window mullions to paint if you don't want the laser wood edge to show.

The 2nd floor has more head room than the Buttercup, but like the Buttercup it's a cottage, and I think it has tons of character and possibilities. I plan to get another one. :D

• Like 1

Yes Gina! I want the Fairfield for my 'one and only' half scale. Like my Beacon Hill is my 1" special house. My Dad didn't like it and the birthday money is from him so I figure I will start with the Diana and buy a Fairfield myself :) The Diana I will do to show off its gingerbread inside and out so one room up one down maybe? Then the Rosedale, Chantilly.......and we can't forget a Tennyson. Not to mention some 1:144 :)

• Like 1

Yes Gina! I want the Fairfield for my 'one and only' half scale. Like my Beacon Hill is my 1" special house. My Dad didn't like it and the birthday money is from him so I figure I will start with the Diana and buy a Fairfield myself :) The Diana I will do to show off its gingerbread inside and out so one room up one down maybe? Then the Rosedale, Chantilly.......and we can't forget a Tennyson. Not to mention some 1:144 :)

...and the Arthur (it's so cute), and the Lighthouse, and the.....

I have the Rosedale, the Fairfield, the Diana and the Van Buren. The only one built is the Rosedale. It's a great build. The rooms are good sized, it has a pretty staircase and pretty windows. I closed off the side wall windows in the kitchen for wall space.My all time favorite would have to be the Victorianna, I don't have it, but want one badly! I even emailed Greenleaf and asked about it (it was talked about being rereleased years ago) I was told it was in the works and to check back in march, but still no Victorianna. I May have to go on dollhouse buying strike til I get one! I think the Rosedale would be a great choice for a first half scale since it's fairly straight forward build with lots of personality.

• Like 1

Paula~ I most definitely plan a Rosedale. I LOVE its windows. I see it as a fairy house and will be sharing why as soon as I see the fling. It's a concept I guess you would call it, that I could use for several things and really want to try.

Debora~ The Arthur and Lighthouse are planned. I love them both. I think there's no way around the Fairfield as the one and only, the Diana will be the first laser cut and then??? I want to build a house my Dad can enjoy the process of seeing built and he said the Diana. I hope to order it with my fling :)

• Like 1

This has been a really fun thread to read. I have not tried any half scale houses yet, but have the Fairfield, which I bought on sale. Now I am so tempted by the Rosedale! I'm looking forward to seeing your build, Morgan.

• Like 1