Favorite Half Scale by Greenleaf

morgansmith

This has been a really fun thread to read. I have not tried any half scale houses yet, but have the Fairfield, which I bought on sale. Now I am so tempted by the Rosedale! I'm looking forward to seeing your build, Morgan.

I'd love to see some others building Rosedales right now. Kathrynated and I've been working on our visions, and Gina (MoreMinis) said she was going to start one soon (of course, shell leave me in the dust, but that's okay :) ). So If a few more take on this lovely little house we could start our own Next Gen thread!

Or maybe we should just keep this half scale thread alive and talk about the houses! :D

I think the Rosedale would make a wonderful fairy house, if I ever bought one I think that is what I would do with it, since it doesn't appeal to me as a regular house. I've built the Fairfield, the Arthur, the Buttercup, bashed the Primrose to 1/2" scale, the Victorianna, and I have the Chantilly, the Van Buren, and the Taft waiting for their turn.

• Like 1

I love Half scale building...and we are so lucky that technology is also extending to furniture....

we can have 2 and sometimes 3 houses in the space 1 full scale house would take! and now we can furnish them as nicely as

we can the larger houses.....YAY...

I just love building...bring on another house....
my name is nutti and I am a dollhouse addict!

:cheers::banana::bangin::batman:

• Like 1

It's not just that half scale is smaller, it fits on a shelf making it able to fit in many different places you can't consider for 1". I love the samller scales even more but here's the deal, I'm probably not alone. I am doing this alot lately as stress relief. When I try and work 1/4 scale and smaller I break stuff! I hold it too tight. It seems half scale still gives me something manageable but stronger.

I promise I will share my fairy house idea asap. I really am hoping to somehow use this for the fling this year. I would love to see Greenleaf sponsor more contests. We don't need expensive prizes. Just the fun. I'd love a Rosedale Fairy House contest. I have a strong vision of mine and plan one for sure.

It is fun to figure out what house will work for what. Some, like my Beacon Hill, get little or no bashing. Others, are bashed every which way but loose when I look at them. Does anyone see certain houses as certain things? I see the Chantilly as.......I'm not gonna tell. But maaaaaybe if others posted ideas I would tell you I might make a Chantilly ______ and add a _____. There is a perfect spot for it I am thinking. What do all of you see in a Chantilly?

• Like 1

I've seen some great things done with the Chantilly. I went browsing the galleries to get ideas when I ordered that kit (funny how I don't build them in the order I buy them) and was really impressed with how the house can be so creatively bashed. :)

I'd love to see some others building Rosedales right now. Kathrynated and I've been working on our visions, and Gina (MoreMinis) said she was going to start one soon (of course, shell leave me in the dust, but that's okay :) ). So If a few more take on this lovely little house we could start our own Next Gen thread!

Or maybe we should just keep this half scale thread alive and talk about the houses! :D

Whether this thread continues or we start a new one, what about a thread devoted to Greenleaf Half Scale. If there is a long or good post elsewhere we could post it here. If we are dreaming or building, we can post here. Or there. If a new thread is started with a better title then post it here. Or there :)

There are some builds and some things that are just different about half scale. Sharing in one place would be nice.

I just went and reviewed the "Curious About Half Scale" thread. It's 24 pages of posts (on my iPad). It was started by CatColorado in 2010 and there have been recent posts and it is pinned, so that one might be the one to continue the half scale conversations in. The title of the thread might confuse people if we want it to be a regular topic, I don't know. There are a lot of posts in it about furniture and accessories and its got several links to suppliers. Regardless, I'd like to keep one or the other alive. I love this scale and sharing ideas and resources, and agree that discussion of the challenges of this scale deserves space of its own. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, that was the idea of the pinned topic. But it's gotten unwieldy. I wonder if a subforum for smaller scales would be a good idea? (If it would get enough activity to justify it?)

Anyway, as far as the Greenleaf houses go, the two I've built in half scale (so far) are the Fairfield and the Rosedale (I bashed two together). I like them both for different reasons. The Fairfield has a wonderful layout and it's a really cute compact house, but the prep you have to do for the plywood adds a lot of work compared to the newer laser cut houses. The Rosedale went together quickly (even with all my bashing!) but it doesn't have a lot of rooms and the ones it does have are kind of awkward for furniture placement, IMO at least. But it's still my favorite of all the laser cut half scale houses.

I have a Buttercup and a Victorianna in my stash. The Buttercup will be turned into a toy shop (I've been collecting toys to go inside it for years!) and for the Victorianna, I've always wanted to bash two together back to back to make a Victorian that's open on both sides. So, I'm holding out for the day Greenleaf releases or another one falls into my lap. :)

• Like 2

I don't know what a pinned topic is or how any of this works. It seems, to my ignorant self, perhaps a new topic. We all discuss for a week what title works best and go with it. Then, under the new less unwieldy title, we can refer to other topics when needed.

Whatever everyone wants I will participate. I am going to do a Diana very very soon and it has to be a priority. My Dad means the world to me and he will enjoy this.

• Like 1

I don't know what a pinned topic is or how any of this works.

If you look on the mini forum part of this site at the top some of the topics say "pinned" which is computerese for this thread stays while others drop to the end or fall away and disappear.

• Like 1

...what about a thread devoted to Greenleaf Half Scale...There are some builds and some things that are just different about half scale. Sharing in one place would be nice.

...the "Curious About Half Scale" thread...is pinned... discussion of the challenges of this scale deserves space of its own. :)

...a subforum for smaller scales would be a good idea? (If it would get enough activity to justify it?)...

Between the pinned topic, this topic and all the 1:24 discussion in other threads I think we definitely have enough interest to justify a subforum for the different scales. We haven't even heard from all the potential 1:6/ playscale/ Barbie scale fanatics out there!

• Like 1

We've also got some dedicated quarter scale and 1:144 scale members. The Barbie 1:6 scale is so much bigger I'd think they would want their own post.

Gloria is right about "pinned." It keeps it at the top so it doesn't get lost over time.

So for titles, what are everyone's thoughts. "Smaller Scales" ? Something inclusive or "Just the Half of It"? (Kidding!) :)

• Like 1

Sorry I am so late with my post. I love 1/2"scale because you are forced to use you imagination. Any smaller you lose some. From the Greenleaf collection I love the Victorianna. I placed her in a bookcase instead

of hanging. Got another but couldn't put the two together because I like the way the first looks. Maybe a"Spring Fling" will let me do that. Anyway, all of the Greenleaf 1/2" houses are great. Any one you pick will be

fabulous!

Gail :bear:

• Like 1

Without question, I would like to build almost every Greenleaf half scale. Practicality invades wishful thinking here unfortunately and I must choose. It will be a Fairfield for the one and only half scale. To be purchased later. The Rosedale, Buttercup, Tennyson and Chantilly are all on my Top 10 list. But soon, I will buy a Diana. I remember when it was introduced in half scale. I fell in love. Now, my Daddy (yip, he's still my Daddy even if I am 52) likes the Diana too. I'm building it to entertain him. And as a keepsake of time we spend together. I get to buy it with money he gave me for my birthday :)

Anyway.......here's my plan. I LOVE I think it's Ann New York's Harry Potter inspired Diana. But I'm going for wood, stone and dark green in a more mountain cabin look. Perhaps the end result will be a Christmas cabin. The only changes I will make is to eliminate the stairs and room dividers. I want to see the front door from the inside. Great room down, bedroom up, I think. So, here's my dilemma. No fireplace if I want a Christmas cabin. Is there a good place for a parlor type stove?

• Like 1

Holly's idea is a good one, but you will have enough room to put a parlor stove in one of the front corners, or you could pick a more central location and have its chimney go up. But it would be easy to take out one of the bays.

Also, I'm with you Morgan, I want all of the GL houses in half scale. I keep looking at ways to bash existing kits to get a close approximation to some of the others. :)

• Like 1

You couldn't eliminate one of the bays and make your big, happy fireplace there instead?

Most definitely holly, I can do that and may very well do so. I could incorporate the family joke of a fireplace with no fire. My parents built a house just before I was born. It had a fireplace put in for resale value and 15 years later, when we sold, yep, it still had a brand new fireplace.

I don't want to lose one of the beautiful bays and I don't want anything in the middle blocking the view of the beautiful doors. A bit of a challenge. I want it all!

oooooooo I would ADORE a halfscale Willowcrest...a MUST have should it EVER become half scale....The Willowcrest was my 2nd build and after all the houses Ive built still my FAVORITE!!!

• Like 2

You couldn't eliminate one of the bays and make your big, happy fireplace there instead?

Ok holly, I ran your suggestion by everyone (the whole family pretty much) and what we came up with was ask holly's opinion on whether I should consider eliminating a front window. I like the idea of the fireplace being so visible since I'm thinking of a Christmas Cabin. Gotta have those stockings hanging by the fire :) Anyone else? What do you think? I want to see the front door from both sides, keep both bays and add a stone fireplace. Where?