Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

I wonder if their will be a jrs category like there has been in the past. My niece is staying with me for a while this summer and she enjoys building as much as I do.

Ditto that. I think I'm going to let my 5 year old enter. Guaranteed she would have a blast. I think they should do something special for kids entries. They could each be given a ribbon and there could be a 'best for their age' winner.

I haven't ordered anything yet because this idea that the kit is screaming at me is not the one I want to do.

I think it's a given that it's going to happen but I'm fighting the plan tooth and nail at the moment.

I want to do something foo-foo and totally unnecessary and this kit just continues to shout NO, NO, NO !!!

So this is a case of "the kit" versus "Selkie"

To that effect, while I was shopping for sequins for the big prom dress project today,

I found my favorite color red paint (Ceramcoat tompte red) that the kit is demanding

and a wonderful accessory that is perfect for the kit's idea.

Just to be clear, I got them for the kit's idea - not for my idea.

The kit will win like they always do.

• Like 1

You could commandeer the kitchen table like I have! :lol:

All my tools & hoard of supplies are packed away, pending move to a workshop. That's what keeps Mildred in the garage with the rest...

I am so excited :) ..... nope mine is not gonna be a shocker... not really gonna be original... but it's what I want to build... and looking at the kit it's told me it is what it wants to be :)

• Like 3

Hi everyone! I've been following the Spring Fling contests for years but have never participated. This year I decided to give it a try and ordered already my kit. I hope the enthusiasm and excitement I've had now won't be killed by daily life routine and I will complete the project. I wish everyone good luck! Natalia

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I've been following the Spring Fling contests for years but have never participated. This year I decided to give it a try and ordered already my kit. I hope the enthusiasm and excitement I've had now won't be killed by daily life routine and I will complete the project. I wish everyone good luck! Natalia

Welcome to the forum Natalia! Glad you've decided to jump right in and do the Spring Fling too.

I just joined this forum last year after lurking for awhile and the SF was underway. I didn't realize I could enter at any time, so I just followed along. But after seeing how much fun everyone was having, and how everyone pushed, teased, inspired each other throughout the process, I decided I wanted to join in for the fun of it this year!

• Like 1

Have no fear Natalia. We are a fantastic group of enablers. We'll cheer you on no matter how tough life gets. Spring Fling is my favorite therapy for all of RL's stresses.

• Like 1

Hi Debora and Morgan! Thank you for your welcoming! I am looking for fun too. How does the whole process work though? Do you show the progress on your blogs? or just submit the pictures of the finished piece closer to the date when the contest is over? I would think that at the beginning nobody wants to share the ideas, correct?

Your project is a highly guarded secret that you "leak" hints and sneak peeks about along the way that don't give anything away about the finished concept until after the deadline.....at least I think that's how it works! :)

• Like 1

Hi Debora and Morgan! Thank you for your welcoming! I am looking for fun too. How does the whole process work though? Do you show the progress on your blogs? or just submit the pictures of the finished piece closer to the date when the contest is over? I would think that at the beginning nobody wants to share the ideas, correct?

Ooh Natalia, are you in for some fun! No one tells. But, we have all kinds of fun dropping hints, saying things using blanks for certain words, sneak peak photos of little snippets of work........if there's a way to have fun with the secrecy, we find it.

• Like 1

:) Debora, your post hadn't appeared when I wrote mine. I would have just written 'you're right Debora'. :)

I can't speak for everyone but I believe most of us don't care much who wins. Meaning, we see and treat each other as equals. There's no problem in the fact long time builders and newcomers all work together. It's like a party participating in this and winning is just a bonus. So don't ever see the contest too seriously in that the process is a blast if you don't stress yourself out.

As for who wins.......there have been people that have won with their first build ever. The winners are not the most elaborate entry or even the technically 'best' artistry. The winners entries have that extra special something Greenleaf doesn't even know they're looking for until they see it. So don't TRY to win. Try to enjoy every minute and build something you love. None of us wait well for Greenleaf to release all of the entry pictures and when they do, we all spend hours and hours enjoying them.

• Like 2

I'm on the Building Team so I don't enter (especially as I have had nowhere to work on the stuff I've already got, yet...), BUT I do work with whomever PMs me asking for ideas, help, or how-to; and I don't tell, either!

• Like 3

I'm on the Building Team so I don't enter (especially as I have had nowhere to work on the stuff I've already got, yet...), BUT I do work with whomever PMs me asking for ideas, help, or how-to; and I don't tell, either!

Cool! :)

Entering this contest I don't aim to win (and, probably, it's not good). I have a lot of projects going around trying to be ready for the shows, so I hope very much I will be able to finish this one in time. When I saw a kit Greenleaf offered for the Spring Fling 2013, I've thought about finishing it as a gift for one person, and if it happens and I finish it in time, I might enter it for the contest. For now I like the idea I came up with a lot and will enjoy each moment of working on it. :bigwink:

• Like 2

Morgan's right about this friendly non-competition contest. Everyone seems to have the most fun ribbing and encouraging each other, so I guess it's sort of like the build alongs but with a possible prize. Also, as Morgan said, if you go back and look at past winning entries you'll see that some were first builds! It's amazing to me how many different concepts come out of a single kit and this one looks like it may be the best one so far!

• Like 1

Entering this contest I don't aim to win (and, probably, it's not good). I have a lot of projects going around trying to be ready for the shows, so I hope very much I will be able to finish this one in time. When I saw a kit Greenleaf offered for the Spring Fling 2013, I've thought about finishing it as a gift for one person, and if it happens and I finish it in time, I might enter it for the contest. For now I like the idea I came up with a lot and will enjoy each moment of working on it. :bigwink:

Natalia, I just went to check out your blog. What beautiful work you do! :wub:

Oh, thank you, Debora! I see you are from the Northern California. I am going to be at the Good Sam show this Fall. If you are planning to be at this show, please, stop at my table to say Hi.

I am hoping to go to that show and am planning to coordinate with others from this forum to try to get together there. I'll definitely plan to stop by. As we get closer to the show I'll probably start a thread to find out who else is going to see if we can fix a day/time/place to all meet up. :)

Brae, I just had a feeling you couldn't resist the temptation. :D

As for me, I have a Beacon Hill that isn't quite finished, the McKinley in dry fit, who happens to be talking my ears off and I just ordered the SF kit, which is also talking to me. Sure is noisy around here.

• Like 3