Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

Paula, the bricks are absolutely marvelous! I love them! Is there a tutorial for doing this? I'd like to give it a try making a floor with these -- sort of like old-fashioned cobblestones. The hard part is gonna be finding those cardboard egg cartons. The ones I see around here are basically plastic or foam. I'm still waiting (not so patiently) until tomorrow when I can call Greenleaf and get the missing pieces sent out. I spoke to Keith there a couple of times (can I add something if it's not too late), and I bet I got him totally confused!

I did find a great tutorial -- actually, two... one for bricks and one for stones. Both are from Otterine — thank you so much, Brae, for posting these on your blog! For anyone else who needs this, the egg carton to bricks tutorial is at http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/cutting-egg-carton-bricks-plus

and there's a link in there for the stone tutorial (but both finished products look very similar to me!).

Paula,Your brickwork is great,very realistic! I guess I need to try the egg carton tut. too. Everyone seems to have such success with it. Sandy,I believe some people have said they found fast food beverage carriers to be good sources-I believe it's all the same machined papier-mache-like material...

Paula,Your brickwork is great,very realistic! I guess I need to try the egg carton tut. too. Everyone seems to have such success with it. Sandy,I believe some people have said they found fast food beverage carriers to be good sources-I believe it's all the same machined papier-mache-like material...

The carton I used was from drink carriers from fast food places.The tutorial I used was on www.thechinadoll.com. Brae does have a very good tut and also there's one by Mini land. Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Super bricks, Paula. If you get your hands on a food processor you can dedicate to the purpose you can make sheets of papermache from old newspapers and white glue or wallpaper paste.

Super bricks, Paula. If you get your hands on a food processor you can dedicate to the purpose you can make sheets of papermache from old newspapers and white glue or wallpaper paste.

Holly, I have seen that before and would like to try it. Now if my Mom would let me have her food processor LOL!

Has anyone else noticed how HUGE this Spring Fling house is?? I've been working exclusively in the 1:144 scale for almost a year now, and I have to keep measuring and re-measuring this house! Seven inches? That's monstrous! I must have read that wrong! Go back and re-measure - yup - that's what it is! I bought a large piece of _________ yesterday that I needed for the _________, and last night I realized I needed more! I thought I'd have to store the surplus for some future project!

I got on a rabbit-trail of tutorials last night, some on YouTube and some just text - when I came up for air it was 2:30 in the morning!

• Like 2

I finished my ____________ this weekend. I'm so pleased with how it turned out. Especially the custom made _______ I did for it. Still so much more work to do though.

No flinging this weekend :(

Too many family obligations. Not that that is bad btw - it just cuts into Fling time.

Got some more packages over the weekend though of goodies for both Twinkle's and mine.

We have a few more backordered items that we are waiting for and then we should be all set for the $$'s part.

Many, many, many things yet to build, sew, bead, glue and figure out though.

Oh, just listen to you all! Just you wait. I'll be talking in code, too, shortly! I got an e-mail from Lisa at Greenleaf early this morning and she's shipping the two missing ______ today! I did start a dry fit of the main _______, along with the _________, but I can't go much further without the missing pieces. I did figure out my colors, and visited Home Depot over the weekend. Just decided that I want a different color of stain from what I have here (of course!), so I'll pick that up today and I could start staining the ________, the ________, and the __________. Then, when the missing bits come, I'll be doing as much cutting as Anna does! I'm sure it won't be anywhere near as elegant, though!

Did you know that Greenleaf works from 6:00 am to 4:30 pm from Monday through Thursday? Those are some long days! You all might keep that in mind if you ever need to reach them. They're normally closed on Friday, and so decided to give everyone the week off due to the holiday. Just my luck! But it's a new week now, and I spent a lot of $ on e-bay getting stuff I can't build (yeah, Holly, I know you wouldn't agree, but there are some things like that!), and all my bits and pieces will be coming in this week. Yippee!

• Like 1

Did you know that Greenleaf works from 6:00 am to 4:30 pm from Monday through Thursday? Those are some long days! You all might keep that in mind if you ever need to reach them. They're normally closed on Friday, and so decided to give everyone the week off due to the holiday.

They are definitely hard workers there and super friendly. Lisa has helped me on multiple occasions and always been so nice. One day when I called, Dean actually answered the phone !!! Now that is teamwork. He was so pleasant and helpful. I'm totally dedicated to promoting GL. They deserve it.

• Like 2

I too am a huge GL fan. I have built their houses for several decades and never been disappointed. Now, I have obligations that have stolen my fling time. I had to re think and simplify what I am doing in order to do it. Oh well, it's flingtime and I WILL finish! It won't be a winner but will hopefully be cute :)

• Like 1

Business trip to Vancouver, BC finished....CHECK. Summer cold with hacking cough almost over...CHECK. Back to Flinging...Hooray!!!! :D Now, where was I? :pokerface:

• Like 4

Oh, Morgan, I bet it'll be super cute and likely a winner! You just never know, but the fun is in the making of whatever it is that you're building! I would get so downhearted if I actually finished something!!! I guess that's why I always leave just a little bit extra that surely will need attention!

• Like 2

Oh, Morgan, I bet it'll be super cute and likely a winner! You just never know, but the fun is in the making of whatever it is that you're building! I would get so downhearted if I actually finished something!!! I guess that's why I always leave just a little bit extra that surely will need attention!

I know....it's like a good book that never ends. What a perfect expression of my love for this hobby/life. Thank you, Sandy!

• Like 1

Now, I have obligations that have stolen my fling time. I had to re think and simplify what I am doing in order to do it.

Don't forget, Morgan, that mini time is mental health time too.

Don't forget to breathe deeply and take care of you so you are able to care for your obligations in a fresher mental state. {hugs}

• Like 2

I have had such pleasure reading all posts and updates on flinging since the end of May! Oh, my Goodness, this is how long it has been since my last visit! But it doesn't mean I haven't been working on my Spring Fling. Everyone is busy and doing such a great job, loved all pictures.

I made a couple of posts on my blog and here are some of my sneak peek pics.

I am waiting when a couple of .... arrives. No stairs for me, but there will be 3 doors.

And, yes, I cheated a little bit, instead of making I bought some pieces of furniture from PRD miniatures. I would never be able to make these chairs, especially that little cute table. Oh, and I need them sooo much!

http://www.scarletsailsminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/07/spring-fling-2013-update.html

• Like 1

Finally got to Home Depot to pick out paints and stain. It was pretty funny - I spent almost an hour looking at one brand of stain colors, going back and forth with my paint swatches, because I didn't want to buy a gallon of stain unless the color was absolutely perfect. Picked up the gallon to have it custom mixed, then turned the corner into the next aisle and found the perfect color from a different manufacturer, pre-mixed in a much smaller can. :bigwink:

Now, I'm trying to figure out whether to build my __________ ____ out of wood and air-dry clay, or just air dry clay alone. Decisions, decisions!

Spent most of the weekend staining and sanding and gluing! Have to go back to the hardware store today for more ____, as I didn't get quite enough the other day. AND - I'm getting excited but I can't say anything yet!! Through a fluke (Divine Appointment?) I got an answer from a Facebook post that sent me off on a research tangent this morning - just that one little keyword that opened up a huge concept! I think I've found the answer for something I've been trying to do for a long time!

Now, if I can just pull it off in the SF build! :idea_1:

• Like 2