Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

Cheryl,I'm too newbie and busy with other stuff to Fling this year (And mostly too slow!), but I hope to next year. Meanwhile,we have the best seat in the house! And like you, I can't wait to see what all these creative people come up with! By the way,Kelly, nothing you do is not creative! That's a twisted up sentence,but you know what I mean,responding to your modest comment above... :)

Me and the fling had a rough weekend. ...... finally the fling decided to jump off the work station, but she was not harmed

OMG what are you doing to her :eek: Just kidding, you actually had me laughing! (Not about the cuts)

These houses have a mind of their own! But that's it. I figured out how to fix the ceiling that has had me stymied, and I'm getting out the glue! This puppy is going together now! And then it's a little finish work and time to draw a line under it! :yes:

• Like 1

I am looking forward to trying this one of these days. I was too late getting started and I need a better work area but I am so tempted....can't wait to see what everyone came up with this time though!

I FINALLY got back to work on my fling. Yesterday I woke up and looked at it and even though I didn't want to work on it, I forced myself to work & now I can't wait to get home from work and fling away. My motivation is definitely back. I had one of those days where you make major progress but it looks like you didn't do anything. Hopefully I can finish in time.

• Like 1

How many of you would really notice the ________ on the ________ if I was feeling too lazy to fix it?

Not me, I'm sure to not notice! :lol: and if I do notice, I promise to pretend like I didn't. :D

How many of you would really notice the ________ on the ________ if I was feeling too lazy to fix it?

I'm not sure how it goes, so don't quote me on this, but.......isn't there some sort of deal where quilters make one mistake, on purpose? What's the story on that? Perhaps we need to make sure and have one mistake in a house. For luck :)

• Like 1

Yes,I think is the same with some quilters,Morgan-what Holly says about the Navajo weavers. An elderly lady I worked for several years was an artist at quilting, before dementia took her over. Early on she would show me all her quilts and always pointed out where a mistake was (I never caught them without her showing me) on just about every one.There's no way she did them by accident;she was a known perfectionist and just too good! So,Blondie,count it as 'artistic expression',not laziness!! ;)

There is a big difference between a mistake and an intentional error. To purposefully include an error seems to me to be the height of arrogance, implying that what I make is perfect. That said, a "humility block" in quilting is, it as it turns out, it something of a myth. See hartcottagequilts.com for a well researched explanation that includes:

Quilt historian and AQS appraiser Bobbie Aug, who has taught pre-1940 Old Order Amish-style quiltmaking, said she once spent a week with an Old Order Amish family. The Amish quilters she asked about the "humility block" were aghast. To them "an intentional error is saying just the opposite - that their work is perfect and that they would have to be purposeful in order to make mistakes."

As for the Navajo, see purposeful-imperfections-navajo-art for this and more:

"A blanket must have an outlet... a mere thread of a different color or a slight, apparently accidental, break in the border pattern, which looks like an imperfection. But if it were omitted, the woman might get the blanket sickness and lose her mind." --From www.navajopeople.org.

The purpose of the purposeful imperfection is to allow evil spirits a place to exit the design. Its creativity is compromised without a hole or other imperfection to usher out the 'bad' built into the piece. Also, the maker--the artist herself--can become ill from the harbored evil.

Shih nih bi-teen is the Navajo word meaning "mind my road" in a literal translation. The creative idea includes a part of the mind the maker has put into the piece. It apparently requires an outlet from the art, the "road," if you will. Block that road or trap your psyche inside the art and you're headed for creative insanity, perhaps.

For a more complex discussion of deliberate errors in Islamic art, see Geometric Designs as 'Art' It uses as an example a bit of artwork with an obvious error and comments thusly:

So, what do we make of this. The artist has been commissioned by an extremely powerful patron who expects the best possible work from his subject. Did the artist merely draw the piece and then hand it to an apprentice to complete? And what would have been his reaction on seeing the blemished product, with perhaps only hours to go before the deadline? He could always assume that with such a complex design no one but a fellow illuminator would notice, but just in case his master was more than a mere amateur in such matters, he might need a fall back position. What better idea than that of a deliberate error?

Stepping away from the lectern now.

• Like 1

Nope - not me - although, could you promise not to look too closely at mine, please? (if I ever get it to a condition that it qualifies as an actual entry, that is.)

• Like 1

I've been out of these conversations for a while now -- too busy with real work and RL -- but I am working on my SF, which actually started talking to me when I saw the kit on the Greenleaf site, so it's been a pretty easy build. I guess it won't be as imaginative as some of yours (mostly because it seemed to be so obvious what it was meant to be!), but I'm having fun with it and it's coming together faster than I feared it might. I've just about finished the build on the major components and I think I can put the roofs (yeah, plural!) on today or this weekend, and then concentrate on the outer details. You guys are much more talented than I, and I can't wait to see all your photos! Those sneak peeks are just that -- pretty sneaky! Now I know what wood grain looks like when magnified 100X!!! Who'd a thunk it?

I do have a question and I guess this is as good a place to ask as any of the other forums -- does anyone know if there is any way to get glue off the acetate that one uses for windows -- and that doesn't ruin the acetate (like Goo Gone and that stuff does)??? Sometimes you can cleanly pick off the glue if you let it dry completely before you even try, but mostly it's a mess!!!

Thanks, Holly. Yes, it does feel like home, doesn't it? I do get all these conversations coming into my email, so I'm not missing much! Pretty sneaky -- I can see you all, but you can't see me! I have been working on my SF and actually think it'll be done before the deadline -- but I can't wait to see all of the others! And imagine winning -- only to spend more $ on more goodies! What a life!

With your wealth of knowledge, Holly, you surely should know a way to clean that acetate! I thought I found a way -- used thumb glue (did you ever hear of that?) -- it's sticky stuff on a roll that you can put on more precisely and it doesn't run or drip (used it for scrapbooking), but I still got some where it shouldn't have gone! I was really pissed off after thinking I found a solution.

I use clear-drying tacky glue on the acetate. In the event some squeezes out from behing the trim and shows and I can't get it off with either a fingernail or an orange stick or toothpick I pretend it's an imperfection in the glass. In fact, I used a dollop of white glue in the middle of one of my houses' window panes to resemble bullseye glass.

You'd never believe how imperfect my poor Victorian windows are! Not to mention my SF, which is a rather new, possibly currently standing establishment (oops, did I give something away here?)! And I've got lots of toothpicks and orange sticks!!!

Okay - I officially HATE my SF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: We are NOT on speaking terms right now. :furious:

Stupid project - what was I thinking when I started this monstrosity? :thumbdown: Argh-h-h-h-h !!!

It's about to be ditched off a highway overpass for trailer trucks to run over. :bomb:

I'm really frustrated. I can't figure out how to do my roof the way I want it. :pullhair:

I can't figure out how to get the "glass" to fit in the channels the way I want it to. :dunno:

Nothing is working right..... :frusty: Sorry to sound so harsh but it's exactly how it is.

Slinking away now, sniffling and sighing, and going back to an unrelated sewing project.

Hopefully I can do that w/o too many tears. :teary:

• Like 2

I'm not a Flinger, Selkie,and probably couldn't help you solve the roof and glass channel issues,but I feel your frustration! Sorry it's getting to you bad right now,but I have faith in you! Take a break from it,like you said,and maybe later it will all come together better! We are with you,even if 'it' is against you right now! :console:

Hey Selkie, if you want to kick it to the curb, I'll support you 100 percent! I got very frustrated a couple of weeks ago, and last week, and this week, and..... But I decided to super simplify my plans. It's still going to be a ........ Just not as fancy as I wanted to do. :)

I got so sick of looking at it taking up all my work space that I decided to glue it together (I know I said I was doing this last week but I didn't after all :shrug: ) but now I have started gluing (right now, really and truly), and surprisingly I'm happy with the house again. :)

So Selkie, walk away for a breather and then start small and just do one little thing. One little thing always leads to another and suddenly you will be making progress again! :D