Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

Does it have to have a roof? Nobody said it has to have a roof! Just sayin'. :lol:

I actually have a roof - technically speaking.

It just won't stay on the house !!!! :weep:

I could lay it down beside it I suppose. :yes:

• Like 1

Woke up in the middle of the night with a new roof support system plan.
Now I need to get myself to the shop and see if I can build it.

Well, actually I've already been to RL work, got the kiddos to school and been to the shop but I was deconstructing the landscape area where this new plan is going to have to attach. Yes, the roof support will start on the ground.

Confused yet? When you see this you will understand why it's been so difficult to figure out.

Sending good mojo to those who need it. I am keeping you all in mind as you go through the stress of seeing the finish line. Been there, done that! Good luck everyone. I can't wait to see your masterpieces. Yes they are masterpieces as you took an idea and ran with it. Finished or not you are at least trying. :thumbup: More then I did. I can not wait to see pictures. I have been in touch with one person throughout her build and she is doing great! Yes, she may be a ways away from finishing, but it is looking wonderful. Isn't it funny how we can be our own worst enemy at times like this! I know that I sure am when I do contests! Just remember that it isn't over until the fat lady sings....and I am not singing yet! lol. Good luck everyone and I am standing behind you sending your flings that evil eye so that they know that they better behave. lol. :glare:

• Like 2

Dearest Selkie,

Your roof struggles made me think twice about waiting until the last minute to put mine together. This morning I began the task of wrestling the beast. It wasn't pretty, words were uttered spoken more and more loudly as the project evolved (don't worry, all persons with delicate ears were visiting Grandma). I had a game plan set up weeks ago, but as we know, thing don't always go according to plan. It looks like plan B is going to be okay. I'm grateful for your warning; even if your intent was just a good vent before you did something rash with your build.

So in honor of Selkie's fling roof crisis, I raise a glass and say Cheers my Dear and I feel your pain.. more literally than I wish, that }@$7@%~ slipped off the work bench and slammed pointy end into my knee, leaving a bruise the size of silver dollar. The build is fine, I broke it's fall with my leg :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So in honor of Selkie's fling roof crisis, I raise a glass and say Cheers my Dear and I feel your pain.. more literally than I wish, that }@$7@%~ slipped off the work bench and slammed pointy end into my knee, leaving a bruise the size of silver dollar. The build is fine, I broke it's fall with my leg :rolleyes:

Ummm?? I'm not sure whether to cheer for it's safe landing or cry with you for the pain. The picture is hilarious but the boo-boo not so much. These little buggers certainly have minds of their own, don't they?

Sending good mojo to those who need it. I am keeping you all in mind as you go through the stress of seeing the finish line. ........Good luck everyone and I am standing behind you sending your flings that evil eye so that they know that they better behave. lol. :glare:

Thanks for the good vibes and best wishes. We need them !!!! These SF's are a feisty bunch. I hope that evil eye helps put mine in line. Wish you were in on the fun too!

Selkie.. breathe in, breathe out... you can do it...

Thanks, I'm trying.

Checking in on you all from North Cyprus and sad to hear about the pain and the stresses of your builds this year. SF is always a challenge but this year it seems to have been extra hard. Maybe the style of the kit encouraged everyone's imaginations to create extravagant and wonderful creations - if so, I'm really looking forward to your reveals. Wishing you all the very best of luck both in getting your entries completed on time and in the competition itself.

Cheering you all on wildly from a long way away.

• Like 1

Question on photographing -

I know it's a 3 shot limit but would it be kosher to use split photos within a shot for an entry?

I have so many levels on mine that I can't get the usual 1 exterior shot, 1 interior shot, and 1 detail shot mix in three pictures.

I was thinking more of 1 exterior view, 1 mixed interior and 1 mixed detail.

If you look at MicroJivvy's pumpkin shot, that is sort of what I'm getting at.

Don't want to be disqualified for entering incorrectly.

Wouldn't it be nice if they went to 4 shots like some of the other mini contest have for a photo limit?

.... SF is always a challenge but this year it seems to have been extra hard. Maybe the style of the kit encouraged everyone's imaginations to create extravagant and wonderful creations .....Cheering you all on wildly from a long way away.

I think you are right about the imagination spiraling out of control - at least that is the way it has been for me.

Thanks so much for cheering us on. Still wish you were in on the fun too!

Have fun on your holiday.

Selkie, I wondered the same thing (about collage photos) and wanted to do it, but decided to just submit the three shots without collage. Why don't you PM Miniman with your question?

Think of three photos as a challenge to present the most important features of your project in the best possible light. The presentation takes as much creativity as the concept and build, and so far as the competition is concerned, maybe the most important aspect. You put a lot of effort into the details, but keep in mind that not every little detail needs to hit the judges in the face. When I was a book publisher, the mantra that I laid on my writers was "edit to essence", meaning don't be wordy, don't be repetitious -- be clear and concise. The same principle can be applied to selecting photographs.

When I was entering competitions, I'd take a LOT of photos and then start eliminating them. It's easier to eliminate slightly sad flowers one by one than to pick three perfect blossoms out of a bouquet. One way to begin is to get rid of every photo thar is the least bit out of focus, no matter what the content.

A thought on the collage approach discussed above: even if it is an approved method, it cuts down on the size of each image in the collage. The judges aren't going to grab a magnifying glass and edge toward the monitor or the print (not sure how they view them).

KathieB makes a good point about collage photos, and it is one of the reasons I didn't pursue a collage. The other thing I found when creating and considering collages is that they were actually distracting. They work for sending to friends (then it's just one attachment) but for impact they lose something in translation.

I did what Kathie suggests and started with 190 images, eliminating the blurry or obviously bad images first, and narrowing it down from there. I then did some needed cropping, because my photos weren't as good as I'd hoped. I then had about a dozen to work from and selected ones I thought best presented the build overall.

I consider this all part of the learning process, which for me, was what this build was all about. :)

Ugh. Now I'm worried about taking the pictures on TOP of worrying about my giant to-do list..... :(

No worrying!

Your first three photos may be it! :yes: I just had to take a lot of them, but that doesn't mean you'll have to take as many.

Your all fine with the time, if you have one week or had one more month we would be stressing about the time left. We are miniaturists, we can work for 5 hours straight and not even realize how long we've been under ;P

So I think you have plenty of time, breathe!

As for the three photos, wait till you see my build..details..missed details and details. And as Kathie said, I knew the ALL MIGHTY GREEN GODS...er judges, were not going to see all of them but maybe a few they catch will make a difference ;P

Of course not knowing what formula is correct, my photos followed three primary things. Structure, details and story. Made sense to me!

And then when the deadline hits to open our Galleries, we can fawn all over each others builds and maybe inspire each other to keep reaching that curve.

I am looking forward to seeing the amazing imaginations in detail more than who wins ;)

Rahhh Rahh!!! :banana:

• Like 2

We are miniaturists, we can work for 5 hours straight and not even realize how long we've been under ;P

Rahhh Rahh!!! :banana:

I feel like I'm working 5 hours straight, accomplishing so much and then I stand back and look at it and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. :doh:

• Like 1

Pictures are the least of my worries - finishing is the biggie! Picture it - Sicily (oops! - Washington) - car is warming up in the driveway - morning coffee in hand - dashing out the door for work - when BLAM!! - a new idea almost knocked me off my feet!

I'm scribbling and sketching at work, between customers, and I think I can get this done by the 31st at 11:00 pm!! :)

• Like 2

Pictures are the least of my worries - finishing is the biggie! ....... and I think I can get this done by the 31st at 11:00 pm!! :)

And hadn't we better hope that the GL website is in pristine condition that evening when all of us last minute-ers flood the system with emails and attachments and try to upload our albums all at once so it doesn't give us the Fatal Error message or the Oops Flooded message that you get once in a while when the site is overloaded.

Hey Logan, make sure you have all the old junk cleared out so all our new stuff has room to come in.

So many itti bitty loose items that are primed and/or painted, glued together as pieces of the puzzle as well as fabric pieces cut to size, drying in shape. Still need to do one major piece of it all along with a major paint job...

Hugs

So many itti bitty loose items that are primed and/or painted, glued together as pieces of the puzzle as well as fabric pieces cut to size, drying in shape.

Argh !! Isn't it true? I made a new list this AM and then almost burst into tears for how long it is. How is it that there can still be bits and pieces to paint and cut and sew and such? I have so many still to do and yet I've worked almost every day for the last month.

I've had to take the weekend off from my mini project to assist Twinkle with a school project. It's a end of term English paper and diorama about a book she had to read and research. Her younger brother, sister and I were out last night with flashlights and clippers and bags, trying to find "just the right" this and that for the deep woods scene she is creating in the box while she was working away in the workshop. Today she is busy hanging crows to be flying in the air within the scene. Her paper is done and just needs to be printed. Seems like there is always something calling our name other than what we had planned.