Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

My build was a simple design that practically jumped together and held very still while I glued it together. It has been finished for a while and now I can say that pictures are done and ready to be submitted.

• Like 1

My build was a simple design that practically jumped together and held very still while I glued it together. It has been finished for a while and now I can say that pictures are done and ready to be submitted.

Oh I'm jealous (in a good way)! :D

The stress will come while we wait for the judges decisions. I won't have any fingernails left. Since everything is finished, it's too late to start worrying now.

But, golly gee, Gayle, we would all be more than happy to let you share some of our current stress(es) so you won't feel left out - or hey, you could use some of ours to get in shape for the future stressing.

Here, I'll send some of mine over :throw:

Thanks for taking some off my plate (even though you didn't really offer too) :rofl:

Seriously - congrats for being done. I wish I was in your club!

• Like 1

Thanks all the same but I think I'll pass on the stress. Some of us work better when under stress and a deadline. The results always please the eye too. I'm sure everyone will finish in time and will reap the rewards of a job well done.

My entry was built for pure pleasure so that may have made the difference. Even while building, there wasn't all that much tension. The SF told me what it wanted to be and I was able to start early on the pieces to be used. It did help some that several pieces were already finished before I even decided to use them. Having several miniature magazines handy for reference didn't hurt either.

I've really enjoyed reading all the comments and trying to figure out what all the blanks are for.

didn't make as much progress last night as anticipated but i'm happy with the amount of work i got done. :D

tonight i need to finish up putting all the ________ on the walls of the _________. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll have the _____________ in the _________, the ceilings and roof done. Then i can start on the _______ and _____ additions on Monday.

• Like 1

Okay - as you all have heard many times throughout my whining's - my roof plans have been frustrating me the entire time. They work great in my mind and on paper - but not so much in RL. Nothing I have done with it has helped. Believe me, I have tried just about everything.

Well, that is until this afternoon. I was sitting and staring at my inspiration pictures, snarling and growling and muttering things under my breath as the roof sat there looking sad and dilapidated - when suddenly one of the pictures I started out with started screaming at me - do this - use me for an idea.

So I spent some time making a model on paper and then fiddled around with some parts.

I've torn the other roof totally apart now and fiddled some more. :crash:

I've put out an emergency call to my secret agent GL team for backup and am waiting final approval from the experts. :secret:

I think .... therefore I make mistakes .... wait - no that's not how that goes, anyways, I think I may be onto something. Of course it means a whole lot of new work but since I hated the other mess - what's a couple hundred more hours in the scope of things ???? Yikes !!!!

So did you hear that the contest deadline has been extended until Thanksgiving ???????? :noway:

Approval has been received from my secret agent team so now it's off to figure it all out - again.

It's a "do-over" now but even though it seems like it's putting me behind, in reality, hanging onto the idea that wasn't working was putting me behind.

Thanks Secret Agent Team !!!

• Like 1

I haven't been participating much in the conversations here on this forum, but you can be sure that I read them -- they all come into my e-mail!

It's been a very exciting contest for all of us (myself included), and I must say that I just hope that someone from this group wins! What a disappointment it would be if one of "ours" didn't win and the prize went to someone who we don't know! Well then, I guess that entry will really be phenomenal!!! But I stick to my guns, I want one of us to win! Selkie, I know that your GL secret agent didn't REALLY bend any rules for you... will you tell us after this is all done who this is?

Gayle, congratulations to you on finishing! Boy, am I jealous. However, I am just about to start making bricks and flagstones, and you may well hear me calling out to you if I run into trouble :bigwink: !

...I just hope that someone from this group wins! What a disappointment it would be if one of "ours" didn't win and the prize went to someone who we don't know! ...

Hopefully whoever wins will have joined the Forum just to lurk, and winning will bring them out of lurkdom; or winning will be the spur they need to join in the fun.

Sandy, I think this is your first year, right? You're in for a nice surprise. The only disappointment is in not entering. We all always love the winning entry. Everyone who enters gets a 1/4 scale model of the Fling because all entries are winners (they still do that, right?) and we have a ton of fun looking at everyones pictures and talking about them. I've found this to be true in 4 years of involvement and expect the same this year. So don't worry, there's always a happy ending :)

Yes. this is the first Spring Fling I've done, Morgan. Oh, goody! I'm looking forward to seeing each and every Spring Fling built! It's just that we really sort of (how's that for an disclaimer?) get to know each other here -- and on all the forums for that matter -- and understand what each of the others are going through! Holly was very right in that, if someone who hasn't participated on this forum does win, hopefully we can lure them in so that they become a part of the group as well! We all get a 1/4-scale model of the winning SF? Really? That's wonderful! I didn't see that on the GL site, but I'll take your word for it because that certainly appeals to me!

I can't wait... 1) to finish my build, and 2) to see all the others, and 3) then figure out what all those sneak peeks were! There's nothing like taking a picture of wood grain at 100X to absolutely have no idea what one is looking at. Ditto just about everything else! I'm putting all my sneak peeks up at the end of the contest, to precede the photos of the my finished Fling. Then those sneak peeks just might make sense!

We all get a 1/4-scale model of the winning SF? Really?

Not of the winning entry, we all get a blank 1/4 scale base 2013 fling kit :) I remember there being some confusion about this last year too. With so many of the entries being bashed, it would be tough for GL to replicate the changes. It would make a super cute addition to their 1/4 scale village, at least that's what I planned to do with mine this year.

Just FYI, there is nothing on the Spring Fling 2013 Greenleaf page saying anything about the 1:48-scale model and who might receive this, so this would be an adorable little bonus for everyone. It does make sense that it won't be a scaled down model of the winning entry. Not only would it be extremely difficult to reproduce, but I'd think it would be sort of like mass producing the Mona Lisa! Oh, well. This is what happens when I wake up at this ridiculous hour (2:25 a.m.) I dream about what I'm planning to do next on my build, and sometimes just have to wake up to try it out!

Back to the contest rules... there is, however, a sentence saying, "Just submit your photos by Halloween, October 31, 2013 (detailed instructions included)." Now, either I was too excited about the "real" stuff in my package, or there were no instructions! Can anyone tell me what they are, or point me to them online? I sure don't have them and I really do still have every piece of paper that came with the kit (and all the other bits and pieces that I purchased).

TIA!