Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

I am so impressed with what is coming in here!!!! So many great, great builds!

I do like the idea of a thread with links to albums..... I may go start that in General...

Great job, everyone!!!

Okay, I set up a thread for easier findings!

Go here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34385

We can all just post links to our albums and make them easier to find. :) nd if you haven't made a gallery yet, maybe post the link to a blog or something... :D

Selkie, I submitted my photos last night at about 11:45 pm. No, I haven't received a confirmation yet, but I'm not surprised. I'm sure they were overwhelmed by submissions -- if the folks on this forum alone are any indication!

Lyssa, what a great idea! I can't wait to see your list, but I will look at your gallery next!

My three photos are up, finally! Had to get some sleep and do some real work (as in paying work) this morning before i could play! I did not take many photos during the construction of my Spring Fling, but will add larger closeups shortly.

Lyssa, I LOVE your build! What a great idea, and what detail -- you are so talented. Every angle, and every corner is filled with surprises. It was a feast for my eyes! Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks, Selkie. I will post it, tonight. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way, though!

I'm veering wildly between "my build is way better than I expected, yay me!" and "holy jeez, I can't inflict these crappy photos of a lousy build on anyone"!!

And again, I am so impressed with the ones I've seen so far!! Great job, everyone!

You aren't the only one :)

• Like 1

Hey folks, don't forget to upload your Spring Fling photos... AND add your listing to Lyssa's thread at http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34385 so that we know who has done this! So many of us are exhausted (I know I am!) from the last-minute rush to get our builds done that we need time to recoup. But we're hungry to see all the fabulous work everyone has done! I know there are a couple of newbies to this forum who have contest entries -- so please, don't forget. Strut your stuff!

• Like 1

I am naturally biased toward my own entry but I am also humbled by the pictures I've seen. Everyone's work is awesome. I wonder if the designer(s) of the SF house had any idea that the build would have taken so many different directions. We can shop on main street or up a tree, take the house with us, put it on stilts in a tropical climate or even the water. We can catch a train, board a horse or two, purchase a wonderful meal and bait for a fishing trip, lounge in luxury by the pool, plus all the ones I can't remember at the moment.

It doesn't matter if I win, I had fun and that's the reason for building miniatures.

• Like 2

I think we all feel that way, Gayle! Sure, I'd like to win, but it actually isn't that important. What was/is important is that I learned that there really aren't any rules (except, maybe, using hot glue where one shouldn't!). Just go with what your mind (and your house) tells you! As I said before, with the Garfield, I was totally a newbie at building anything mini, and so I followed the directions to the letter -- I wouldn't even think about replacing a door or a window unless it specifically said it would fit the area that the kit had assigned to it! Now? Heck, I can close up spaces and/or cut holes with the best of 'em. Got me a handy dandy Dremel and all the accessories, a Genesis compound mitre saw, and, oh, a Dremel SawMax (a bit of overkill, I must admit -- now I'll just have to renovate my bathroom or something!).

I do plan to add the finishing touches on my shop -- those that I just didn't have time for, and can't wait until I start the next beauty! I already know I want to build the laser-cut Diana and Tennyson, all in 1:12 because it's easier on my hands than a smaller scale. I just might have to move house, however, because I have no room! Maybe I should think about selling them???

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful eye candy folks!!! I am so impressed with the many ideas and directions this kit went in. We have some excellent photographers as well! Great work everyone, now all who haven't posted their albumns, we want to see!!!

• Like 1

This is the first time I've participated in the Fling. Last year I had only just joined when all this hullabaloo was going on, and while it was interesting, I remember being a little perplexed by the excitement when the projects were unveiled. But having been a part of this craziness this year, and having to wait and not be able to share each step of the process with each other like we usually do, has created this completely absorbing need to see it All. Right. Now! It's like I've been working in a vacuum, and suddenly there is a swirl of creativity going on all around! Wonderful and inspiring all at once!

(Hey, you old timers, will I have a sugar hangover in the morning? Should I warn my sweet hubby? :) )

• Like 1

Now I'm getting a little nervous. Has everyone who submitted their photos received confirmation already? I haven't as yet and, while my daughter (who I blind copied on my submission e-mail) saw the three photos, my granddaughter (also copied) said she wasn't able to view the full width image (the first one with the shop, restaurant, and patio).So... I sure hope all three photos wound up where they were supposed to go! I looked back at my sent mail, an where that image should appear on my granddaughter's mail, it said "Plug-in missing." Plugin? It's a jpg image. No plugins needed! I am a graphic designer by trade, and definitely know how to handle images, both for the web and for print!

Now I'm getting a little nervous. Has everyone who submitted their photos received confirmation already? I haven't as yet .....

We have NOT received a confirmation of Twinkles either. I'm hoping their system didn't crash because of so many entries going in at the last minute. I'm not going to worry too much since we are well documented here as to when we entered and have posted our entries. I would think they could sort it out alright in the end.

Okay - we are signing off :surrender: - eye candy overload for today. :crazyeyes:

Our eyes are going to fall out, our legs and bums are asleep :yawn: - says Twinkle.

Twinkle says my Gram can't even type straight anymore and we need supper !!! My tummy is growling.

Whew !! What a lot of fantabulous sights to see and work to admire and ideas to file away for another time and place. :yikes:

Hopefully more folks will upload to their albums too so we can see more tomorrow. :thumbup:

I have had so much fun with this fling. In fact, I'm still flinging! I added a shelf that totally changed the inside. I plan to add more landscaping, some driftwood and other decor items. I wish I could download photos here. Soon, the internet company tells me. Soon. The most recent is they sent the equipment. Well, it never arrived.

There are several things I had planned before I totally changed what I was doing. For now, mum's the word there. This year was perfect for the same idea's as last year. Maybe next year I will build my fabulous... Not tellin'!

• Like 1

Anyone not into dollhouses or the fling, following our conversations could probably wonder what planet we are from. It's like this is really a part of our dna. I mean seriously, 'this is the best year yet'. I think we say that every year. But this year, IT'S TRUE! I am blown away already as is my husband. And here's a classic comment of his... 'Hey, that's what you were trying for last year'. Hmmmmm... He also explained how fantastic her details were, etc. he sat there and compared our work like she was an experienced adult. I may be crazy but Twinkle's entry has really done my heart good. To see a young teen produce this quality of work is a real treat.

As to everyone else, I am having a fantastic time viewing photo's. I have a reason to award every single build a blue ribbon. Every one. You know the yearbook thing, 'most popular', 'best dancer', 'biggest smile'... I want a Spring Fling Book. And everyone gets an award title like in yearbooks. Let's step aside from who deserves 1st & 2nd, etc. Sorry, but that's too tough. How about, 'Best use of color', 'best use of the basic kit', 'best young miniaturist', 'best base'...

And here's a question for you all, what do you do to prepare for the next fling? Has anyone ever successfully prepared? I have an idea I have liked every year the last three years. I figure if I spend the next however many months collecting toward it, my idea will fly away when the kit is revealed.

How about hints? Did anyone drop big hints they can explain now? My best ones were all if I was going to build a _____ _____. And I didn't. But I might next year :)

My favorite thing I learned this fling? Egg carton rocks! Oh my gosh! I am hopelessly hooked. My favorite purchases? The afghan on the front porch, artisan iron daybed and THE MICE! The needle felted mice I found on etsy that were right here in my hometown. I have some really cute photos of them. I love to make everything. I did alot of painting and rehabbing for the project. The rock chimney and fireplace were a funnest ever project.

Another thought... Who keeps working on their fling after deadline? I'd love to see special recognition for the late arrivals. Speaking of, I have some clamps to remove and a shelf to paint :)

I finally have a chance to sit down to look at everyone's pictures this morning....fabulous work everyone, I'm enjoying the eye candy! April, yours is my favorite so far. Give me a bit more time to drool, then I'll load my album.

Oh crap! I just realized it was later than I thought it was...I just missed the start of my cycle-fit class! Oh well...this is Spring Fling day, after all.

I finally have a chance to sit down to look at everyone's pictures this morning....fabulous work everyone, I'm enjoying the eye candy! April, yours is my favorite so far. Give me a bit more time to drool, then I'll load my album.

Oh crap! I just realized it was later than I thought it was...I just missed the start of my cycle-fit class! Oh well...this is Spring Fling day, after all.

Awwww thank you Keli, and agreed everyone did an amazing job! I can't stop looking :D

Posted this in the Pitstop thread too.

Here's my album with my photos of my unfinished contest submission. I tried to get it to look as complete as possible to send the photos in but it's far from finished.

The Boathouse Lakeside Inn

I think you did a great job on your photos! Your SF looks great and now you can finish what you want at your own pace.