Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

If only they could see me in action, then it would be more like "Good gracious Girl, you're a grown woman. Seriously, throwing it in the trash and stomping out of the room? Whoa there sailor, watch that potty mouth. Aren't you supposed to be doing this for fun?"

Oh dear, were you in my shop about 6 weeks ago or so? Twinkle thought I'd lost my mind as she heard air moving rapidly around towards one corner of the shop and then a huge CRASH - BANG - as the shelf set I was trying to create smashed into the wall. She couldn't figure out what on earth was happening. Interestingly it didn't even break.

Fun ? huh? oh yeah, I love this hobby !! I always smash around the things I love, don't you?

• Like 1

I haven't received confirmation yet - makes me a bit nervous. But they did say within 72 hours, and there was Halloween and a weekend in there, so I'm trying to be patient.

Twinkle got her confirmation this morning. Whew !! I'm sure everyone else's are coming through now too.

• Like 1

If only they could see me in action, then it would be more like "Good gracious Girl, you're a grown woman. Seriously, throwing it in the trash and stomping out of the room? Whoa there sailor, watch that potty mouth. Aren't you supposed to be doing this for fun?"

That sound eerily familiar ;)

• Like 2

Well, I just got an e-mail from Dean confirming receipt of my entry, but he said that not all my photos came through, and he asked if I cared to resubmit them. I sure did! That was extraordinarily nice of him, I thought!

• Like 2

Seriously, I've got to stop this! Since deadline, I have made 5 new additions to Shinglestone Cottage and have finished all of one of three sections on my to do list. Now, a tiny bit of landscaping and a little sewing and I'm actually done.

On October 29th, I explained to my 5 year old, 'Mommy's going to be done with this project in two days. YOU get to pick what's next. Anything you want that we can do, you can pick'. I honestly figured she'd say ANYTHING but a dollhouse. Nope! I have NEVER seen this little girl be so sure she wanted something. I have been showing her every dollhouse kit known to man ever since. She has no doubt, she wants a Chantilly. It is incredible how sure she is. I can show her any view of any house and she knows exactly which pics are the Chantilly. It needs to be a Princess house she says. Pink trim against gray stone. Should be fun. She says Mommy and Daddy will do the work and she'll tell us how. Think again. We bought her Fiskars last night. Her first pair :) Our little girl starts cutting egg carton stones tonight :) We're having a Winter Fling at our house I guess.

• Like 5

I wonder how many entries there were this year. I think it was about 45 /46 or so last year but it seems much fewer this time. I know there are always plenty of "unknowns" but quite a few forum members seem to miss this year's deadline for one reason or another. If that's the case, the results could be out quicker (hoping)

Morgan, that is the sweetest story! And as luck would have it, the Chantilly is available as a lasercut kit in both scales :)

Also as luck would have it, she wants 1/2 scale :)

It truly was a sweet experience. I asked if this was truly her choice or was she doing it because she thought it would make me happy. Her eyes got huge, like 'how dare you imply such' and she said very certain of herself, 'I'm doing this to make ME happy. ME.' It was quite a moment.

First, my fling has more requests!

• Like 2

Yep! We're thinking a Chantilly Princess House for her and a Buttercup Christmas Cottage for me to build. Both in 1/2 scale. Also both in stone. Why? I'm addicted! My first egg carton stone was for this fling and for real here, this kind of rock, rocks :)

My first time experiences this fling were egg carton rocks and windows that open. LED lighting and a flickering flame fire are also firsts but too easy to qualify as anything I learned. I just learned anyone can do it. How about everyone else?

• Like 1

My firsts were cutting new windows and doors, scoring and staining floors, walls and ceiling, using woodsies for siding, and copper tape for roofing. Taking the risk with this kit was the impetus for incorporating some of these things into my two current ongoing projects.

So that makes at least two of us who benefit from the fling, after the fling. I see the fling as a time we all push ourselves to the limit. Every year it forces me to learn things I have put off. Hmm... I wonder what next year will be? :) Anyone have something on their list they want to learn? Will we ever have done it all?

• Like 1

In answer to the first question, I'd like to get better at paperclay. I meant to use it in this project, but it was a fail. So I did some experiments, but will have to do more later. I also want to do the egg carton brick or stones, but will be experimenting with that too as time and projects come up.

And to question number two, I hope I've never done it all! :)

Egg carton rocks and bricks are TOO easy. I combined all the info I could find and went to town. It worked. As for paperclay, that was new to me 2011 fling and this is my 3rd year in a row using it. I find it easy. Definitely not as easy as egg carton, but easy. Try again. You'll get it.

havana holly told me how to do alcohol/india ink stain and paint a rusty tin roof, last year. I'm also hopelessly hooked on those two things. She's always a pm away for any advice. I'm here too on what I know. , just find the info and start. Do some rocks. It's fun!

Egg carton rocks and bricks are TOO easy. I combined all the info I could find and went to town. It worked. As for paperclay, that was new to me 2011 fling and this is my 3rd year in a row using it. I find it easy. Definitely not as easy as egg carton, but easy. Try again. You'll get it.

havana holly told me how to do alcohol/india ink stain and paint a rusty tin roof, last year. I'm also hopelessly hooked on those two things. She's always a pm away for any advice. I'm here too on what I know. , just find the info and start. Do some rocks. It's fun!

I'm real good at cutting out the bricks, or tearing the stones :lol: It's the painting that I'm uncertain about and will need practice. I'm actually not very good at color blending. No problem painting solid colors (ha ha) but the color layering is a talent I don't really have. I've bought all the colors suggested by Brae and the others. I'll just have to make a mess of some test pieces first :D

This fling was my first time doing egg carton bricks. It's time consuming, but not hard to do. A big plus is that egg cartons and drink cartons are free. The technique adds a lot of texture that you just don't get with printed paper.

Debora, don't worry about a mess... That's part of the fun! Remember finger painting when you were a kid? Seriously, do plan on making at least a bit of a mess, that's how you learn. You'll develop your own technique...there's no right or wrong way. You're a very talented and creative lady, so be confident in using what looks good to you!

As far as learning something new this time around, I'd have to go with the egg carton bricks. Took me hours and hours and even more hours to cut out the bricks, and when I looked at the measly little pile I had to show for all that work, I'd have cried if It wasn't so darn funny! I really, really tried to stick it out because Gayle sent me a whole box of egg cartons and great instructions, and she was so upbeat about it and the results she got. Well, you can see the results of my frustration in some of my gallery pix in the SF section. NEVER AGAIN! I did try the Magic Stone for flagstones, and wasn't all too pleased with that either. Richard Stacey, here I come (this company makes the real McCoy...stones, bricks, slate for roofing, slate for flooring -- you name it, they've got it). They're in England, but they ship pretty quickly and shipping charges are reasonable.

Oh, yes, and woodsies (aka Popsicle sticks?) I used for my boardwalk flooring -- that was a first for me, as well as some wiring techniques with the lights I used on the fence posts. Heat shrink tubes? Never heard of them before, but they're indispensable now! Aha, yes, I did learn the hard way that tacky glue won't work on plastic (nor will Crazy Glue!).

I don't think I will run out of things to learn...not in this lifetime! I still want to try stained glass, leaded glass, and painting backdrops for my scenes! Oh, and I really, really want a scroll saw, so I can create my own shapes for doors and windows!

• Like 1

It's funny. Don't take me wrong. I love most of the flings every year. But this year, I really really love each and every one. When I read each post now, I picture the persons entry and smile at the mental image of their entry. I love how most of us tried egg cartons. I only did rock, so I can't speak for brick, but rocks went really fast, start to finish. I imagine brick would be slower to cut out and faster to paint. I take awhile choosing and laying out each rock, so I imagine it's a wash on stone/brick placement as bricks would be uniform. Hmmmm... I've also seen some great multi size square/rectangle stones for things such as castles.

Next for me I think is a stone 1/2 scale Buttercup and practicing a couple of things for next years fling :)

• Like 1

For me the first was looking at the kit and being creative! That may sound kind of silly but I have never had a project where I didn't proceed right down through the set of instructions. Other firsts were adding a scored ceiling, aging(although didn't photograph well) using real dirt, using a paint wash for the roof, and making a few things myself. Another big first was photography. Can't wait till next year!!!

• Like 2