Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

Does anyone know how to make that squiggly glass that one would use for stained glass windows? You'd find it on very old windows as well. Here's a screen grab of an example -- note the glass around the leading -- where it's pebbly looking in some places or just squiggly or warped -- can that effect be achieved?

post-10135-0-59042600-1383686073_thumb.p

Next question and, again, way off topic! Has any used any of the dollhouses seen at http://www.dheminis.com/en-us/dolls-houses.aspx ? They have quite a huge selection and the nice part is that most of them open in the front! I received a catalog from these folks and spent hours going through it. The kits are far from cheap, so before I actually seriously considered these, I thought I'd ask! Oh, and anything over $99 ships free (they only ship to the US).

Answered the question about DHE in another thread I think.

The bumpy glass look can be achieved by swirling blobs of clear drying glue glue on the glass/acetate and letting it dry.

I found several posts about DHE and the fact that their shipping is free over $99, but nothing about the pros or cons of their kits.

Thanks, Jo, about the glue! I had rather thought it would have been etching project. This is easy!

Sandy, their kits are first class. MDF yes and so not as easy to bash as plywood but they go together like a dream. DHE is the premier dollshouse company in UK so you will not have any problems with the kit. The only thing I don't like about their kits is that they are all quite similar in style and not as interesting in appearance as Greenleaf houses but that could be because they are familiar styles to me whereas the American house styles are unusual.

Thank you, Jo, that's just the type of thing I wanted to know. I found their houses to be rather charming, so I'm sure it's a matter of what you're used to seeing -- just as you said. However, I rather liked the Miami Beach house that I've only seen from them -- believe it or not, a company in the UK of all things! Too bad the Ocean Drive isn't being shipped to the US.

On the other hand, now that I've started feeling comfortable making significant changes to a kit, hmmm... maybe I should stick to Greenleaf (or Corona). Gotta think about this. Oh, and also the weight! One more build and I'm going to have to look for a larger place to live -- me and my granddaughter and my houses! An MDF house won't be moved from one spot to another too easily, unless I put the whole thing (including any table on which it's perched) on casters!

The big draw is the front-opening feature. Gotta think about ways to adapt one (or more) of the Greenleaf houses to do this. Then I'll be a happy camper!

The big draw is the front-opening feature. Gotta think about ways to adapt one (or more) of the Greenleaf houses to do this. Then I'll be a happy camper!

Mandy, do you know that GL has a front opening house? It is called the Cheltenham. It has 3 floors of which the bottom could be made into the basement effect by raising the door and adding the large front steps and stoop.

• Like 1

Actually, yes. Gayle and I were talking about just that late yesterday! I think both the Cheltenham and the Gloucester are front opening. These are both Corona houses, I believe, and at least one is laser cut. Are the Corona houses as easy to work with as the GL? I haven't done one yet.

Thank you for pointing this out! I was envisioning raising the base to create a basement effect, but hadn't yet realized that it could be done as simply as raising the front door! You're just brilliant! Another great point I see is that it has a small footprint (well, anything Is small after the Garfield and the monster SF that I just did), plus the front-opening feature means it'll never need to be pulled out from its carefully chosen perch! Hmmm... I've almost talked myself into this one -- with a little help from my friends... As in, thank you, Selkie!!!

• Like 1

Aw, I wish you didn't have to do that!

At first glance, the Cheltenham is a rather boring looking house, BUT on second thought that opens up so many possibilities! I really wanted to do the Diana next, but with all the embellishments and trim that comes along with it, it'd be a shame to bash it up too much! With the Cheltenham, on the other hand, I could really go crazy. What fun!

The stairs could come down to a lovely courtyard effect. You could go French or English or Bavarian styles very easily with this base, not to mention the brownstone styles as well. It could even go uber modern (concrete/chrome/glass) I think with not too much adaptation. Also think factory/loft-ish. I think it has endless possibilities - I just have to live long enough to get to mine !!

The first thing I did after pouring my coffee this morning was to sit down and really start looking at the Cheltenham -- and, as I'm sure you know, the more I look, the more possibilities I see! I'm getting excited about this already and I have not finished my SF (to my satisfaction, at least)! Selkie, you said you don't finish things? I'm willing to bet that this is why! But this time I have an excuse -- I can blame it on you! Seriously though, thank you for pointing out some of the possibilities. I just started letting them grow -- in leaps and bounds!

My mind is racing with ideas and I can't wait to get started! I saw a gorgeous spiral staircase on ebay -- I missed out on it, but the seller is getting more and saving one for me! Wait 'til you see how it opens things up when there's no standard central staircase to get in the way. Oh, boy, I'm in trouble. I'm going to finish my coffee and go into my workroom, and FINISH my SF!!! Maybe, if I'm really lucky enough to win one of the SF prizes, I can hand it right back to them for the Cheltenham in return :bigwink:!

Don? Do I know him or of him? Where can I find his store or his work? Here is a picture of the staircase -- you'll see why I love it!

See how lovely the steps themselves are?

$(KGrHqF,!ikFCc30DeCnBQ0i)sVOzg~~60_57.J$T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngNEvBQ0izBImtw~~60_3.JP

Mmmm, that a beauty. I have a metal one still in its box and I've heard from a friend that they are a real challenge to put together (that's why its still in its box) This one looks as if it might be easier. Don't forget though you need to cut out a circular hole in the floor above to accept the spiral staircase - a challenge in itself. Another friend did this by tracing round the circular base on the floor above, drilling tiny holes all the way round the circle he'd drawn and then cutting it out with a craft knife. To get a perfect circle (and he did) he went to the grocery store with his tape measure, bought a tin of something that was a tad smaller than the diameter his hole needed to be. He then wrapped sandpaper round the tin and sandpapered the edges of the hole. It came out perfect but then he is a perfectionist.

• Like 2

It is is special, isn't it!

Hee hee! Very clever (about the circle). I wonder if there's an attachment for my Dremel that would do that? I'm sure I'd figure something out! Also, if I use this for the Cheltenham, I'll need 2 -- and they aint cheap! This one that I just saw on ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-miniature-spiral-Staircase-Kit-stair-case-laser-cut-wood-New-/400369794017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d37e63be1 ) is $79 + 5.99 shipping! The seller I'm waiting on had it for $70 and free shipping (the seller's name is "restless61a" in case you care to check them out -- I promise that I don't get a commission!). Not a whopping difference, but it adds up! I purchased, as it turns out, 110 items on ebay during the course of my SF build (not to mention other sites). Ouch! Okay, I have a number of things that I wound up not using (but will eventually put to use), but still... I do admit that's absurd! I'm so appalled at that number that I just decided I'm on an austerity kick starting today! No more dollhouse "stuff" for at least a month! Okay, two weeks? Would you believe a week?

Unfortunately, you have to put in a minimum of 4 characters before the search will work. Putting in "spiral staircase" brings up more forum topics than I care to investigate! If you come across any of his posts, just let me know, but otherwise, I'll wait for this one that I mentioned. Thanks, Holly.

Also, if I use this for the Cheltenham, .......

(the seller's name is "restless61a" in case you care to check them out -- I promise that I don't get a commission!).

Just a thought here - maybe a new topic should be started for the Cheltenham ideas since this really the SF topic. It might generate more "talk" too because folks that aren't interested in the SF topic would see it too. Just an idea ...

Also, I have ordered from that vendor before and had good success - just as an FYI, but I know GL prefers that we don't discuss sellers in our topics. They prefer that we do it in PM's.

Thanks, Selkie. I looked at his staircases. They're very nice, but really pricey (those that are already assembled are well north of $100, like $179 or $189), and not, IMHO, as nice as the laser-cut ones I showed photos of. I wouldn't ordinarily have opted for a spiral staircase but for the fact that these made me sit up and look again!