Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

I'm sure that I read somewhere (maybe in the first post in this forum, but I'm too lazy to go back now) that the winners will be announced in the middle of November. I do wish they'd said just what their criteria was for judging!

Yup, I did look back, and "the winners will be announced in the middle of November." So, that's only a week or so away, folks! Are we ready for this? They will post ALL the entries into gallery pages, and I can't wait to see them all!

I'm ready for the winter fling. Dang! There isn't one :(

All this talk of winners. I really don't get it. There are so many winner worthy entries I can't see one as more special than the rest. I feel very honored to be a part of this group. Yea, I congratulate whoever wins but I sit and stare at every detail of, and enjoy every aspect of all of the entries. I really wish the prizes were structured differently so more people got some extra recognition for specific high points of their build.

• Like 1

I love the learning that comes from a contest environment. It puts me on a time schedule with some level of pressure to perform.

I need that "motivator" type environment.

Without a contest, my personal motivation level wans easily and my ADD distracts me way too easily and I never seem to finish anything.

Then, when all is said and done, I get to view and learn new skills from others when it is all over.

I, personally, don't care a fig about winning - for me.

But it is important to many so I think there needs to be winners .

That said, I don't believe with a GL contest that there could ever be any losers !!

We are a family and we all win when we participate and learn.

It's the sense of community and challenge and raising the bar for myself within that community that is what I love.

• Like 6

I love reading your posts, Selkie! You should be a writer... it's just like reading such lovely prose! And so well said... right on target on every point, especially the sense of community and challenge, and the fact that there really are never any losers -- for all of us!

• Like 1

Well, thank you Mandy. My family just says that I talk too much. When one of my grandsons was little and I was fussing at him over some bad behavior incident, he sighed and said, "Grammy do ever run out of words?" That put me in my place !!!

• Like 2

I don't know where else to put this, and don't know if I want to tell the whole world about it anyway, but I just wanted to share with my SF cohorts here a treasure that I just found... heritagelaserworks.com -- you may already know about this site, but I, being relatively new to minis, just found it and am still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor! So much good stuff. Whereas some sites have a few pretty pieces, this place is awesome -- they have everything, and the prices are so reasonable! If you haven't already seen their products, do check it out. This is going onto my preferred vendor list, for sure!!!

Well, that's such a relief. I didn't realize how much I'd come to count on this -- even when I hardly post at all, I always read all the comments and enjoy them immensely! I had written to Dean, suggesting that they upgrade the speed of their server... the number of forum participants/viewers were obviously too large for their server to handle (I'm on a fiber optic broadband, which is super fast, and I usually have to wait 10-30 seconds before a page will load -- and that's absurd). I'm hoping this was part of the "maintenance" they did!

• Like 1

Just FYI, it wasn't only the forums that were down here, but everything -- the galleries as well. As far as I could see, about the only thing working was the store, but that would be a whole different site construction.

I still have quite a bit of flinging to do but I have a lot of RL house stuff to do. Hoping to get the Xmas lights up and the living room and 2 bedrooms painted within the next 3 weeks.

Is anyone still flinging? I know some of you still had finishing touches to put on. I need to glue on the porch railing because right now it's just propped in place (secret fling laziness revealed).

I haven't done anything on mine yet. We got busy that first weekend and a couple other days to clean up the woodshop and move the perishables indoors and that's as far as we've gotten. The pieces and parts of my fling are still flung all over the shop out in the cold all by it's lonesome - poor baby. We've had a very hectic RL couple of weeks so it will be another week before I have any opportunity to get back to it. Twinkle claims she'll help me. We'll see how well that works out.

I am having some significant COPD problems... I can sit quietly at the computer and do my work, but not a lot more than that right now. However, I have sanded and primed and painted the two additional fishing boats, fixed most of the fencing (now that I have the right glue!), and now just need to figure out how I will construct the "beach" so as to "contain" the sand and faux water, etc. Tile board and grout for the base, paint the base blue with some whitecaps, and then add the faux water and boats on/near the boat slip. Then I can add rocks, sand, and moss, put the picnic tables up on the beach, mount the basketball net, make a tiny "clay" court, and I think this is done! Oh, and paint a backdrop... probably mountains! See, I knew I only needed another week -- or three!