Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

I just saw your palm frond fan -- it is GORGEOUS! You are brilliant. Of course, while I was there, I looked at the closeups of your SF build. I just absolutely love your work -- and I learn so much from you! THANK YOU! Next, I gotta figure out how to make a ceiling fan that actually rotates! I've seen them but they cost close to $150! Much better to try to figure out how to construct one. Any ideas, anyone?

Lyssa, it's gonna be a tight race here for SF 2013. I see so many really, really wonderful builds. Every time I look at one, it's like "this one HAS to be the winner," but I keep saying that over and over again and there will only be 3 -- darn! I could pick a half dozen -- without blinking -- that absolutely deserve first prize! They are that good (IMHO, of course)!

Seems to me that 22 days is more than enough to pick the winners, huh, Blondie?

• Like 1

After a lot of experimentation, I made a working fan from an ornament twirler. The how-to is on my blogspot blog here. The video doesn't work, but the still photos tell the story.

What a great idea, Kathie! The trick is finding an ornament twirler!!! I'll have to keep that in the back of my head -- you just never know when you'll come across something like that which will work!

Thanks!

What a great idea, Kathie! The trick is finding an ornament twirler!!! I'll have to keep that in the back of my head -- you just never know when you'll come across something like that which will work!

Thanks!

I found my twirler by googling it on line, but with all of the Christmas holiday stuff in the stores now, they shouldn't be hard to find. locally. They're not expensive.

Kathie beat me to it! That was going to be my suggestion, and I am sure it was because I saw it on Kathie's blog some time ago.

Thank you for your kind words, Sandy. I need to take a minute to put more stuff up-tutorials and such. I had a lot of fun with that build.

There are a ton of fantastic builds. I'm sure they are having an incredibly difficult time picking the top 3. Glad it's not my job!!

Nah. It's just that we've been quiet for awhile. No one has been jumping up and down -- I guess we've gone back to RL, and then just remembered... "oh, yeah, there's supposed to be a winner!"

Looking on ebay, Kathie, I see ones that are light activated, but so far, no electric ones. They also need to be 12V!

The one I used is battery operated. No need to wire it. It does, however, need a space above the ceiling to accommodate the mechanism.

Here's a battery op one I found doing a google search.

http://www.christmasinprescott.com/100186.html

That's the one I used. :)

These plug into a string of lights. Not battery operated.

I hate to be a whiner but I really want a winter fling. Like... A HALF SCALE project! I'm so glad I decided to try Greenleaf's half scale. Now if I just had a bunch of other members building one of these houses and talking about it every day :) it would be perfect.

I'm building a half scale Rosedale and talking about it :wub:

I like the idea of a half scale winter fling :bounce:

• Like 2

Back to the ornament twirlers... is there any reason why not to use an electric one? I see, Kathie, where you were able to hide the unit on the roof of your shop, which was raised, I presume, for this reason. If I wanted to use this in a dollhouse, however, I could hide it within something (although I'd have to think hard and long for something that would look like it belonged in the middle of the room!), but that in itself would make changing a battery difficult. I do believe that Xmas lights are 12V (with a transformer, of course, at the plug end)

Back to the ornament twirlers... is there any reason why not to use an electric one? I see, Kathie, where you were able to hide the unit on the roof of your shop, which was raised, I presume, for this reason. If I wanted to use this in a dollhouse, however, I could hide it within something (although I'd have to think hard and long for something that would look like it belonged in the middle of the room!), but that in itself would make changing a battery difficult. I do believe that Xmas lights are 12V (with a transformer, of course, at the plug end)

The plug-in ones plug into a string of lights. I could never figure out how to adapt to 12v, but maybe that's just me being ignorant about electricity. The room box I put my fan in already had the "attic" area to accommodate other wiring. As for what to hide it under -- what room will be above the fan? It could be hidden under a bed, under a table with a floor-length tablecloth, or ...

I'll be interested in how you meet this challenge. :thumb:

As to the battery issues - I purchased some supplies from here. They have tons of tutorials as well. The components that they carry allow you to build just exactly what you are looking to accomplish, such as adding on/off switches and a wide variety of batteries that work with different lighting choices. We got LED components and have been pleased with them.

I got some 9V battery snaps that lighted Twinkles barn lights quite nicely from here. They fit any normal plug in dollhouse lights that operate on the 12V transformers.

This is a really interesting topic. I think someone should copy and paste this info into a strand in the General Minis section so everyone can see and join in on the discussion. I fear this will be lost on a lot of people who aren't spring flingers.

• Like 1

Sandy & all with physical challenge: I know hand and finger problems are different. I have severe issues not just with my hands but my wrists, arms, shoulders & neck when I do ANYTHING that requires the use of my hands. Knitting can put me down for days. I have found that half scale is actually easier on me. I didn't expect that. I have worked in all scales for most of my life. The last 12 years I have had to 'adapt' due to the injuries that caused this and am still learning. So, for anyone who has never tried Greenleafs half scale because they figure it won't work for them, if you have any desire at all to work smaller, try it. The Buttercup is cheap and honest to goshness, faaaaaaar cuter in person than on the website.

I won't give up 1" scale but using 1/2" for all the TOO MANY :) theme builds I have planned will allow me to do alot more. My Beacon Hill is the star of the show for my 1" scale and I have a Crestview that has BIG plans. I also have a 1" scale log cabin. So, except for flings, I think I'm done buying 1". I just wish the fling would be offered in 1/2"

• Like 1

One other thing about half-scale is that there is much less available (although more than ever before) in the way of accessories, supplies and furniture, and so on. I think that's why I've been sticking to 1" scale -- I have been known on occasion to go a little nuts on ebay :giggle:

• Like 1