How would you run your own RL dollhouse shop?

WyckedWood

I thought it would be interesting to see ideas we can come up with for what the perfect dollhouse shop would be like to walk into...

I love collecting books about dh's and mini making and every aspect of it. The hunt is part of the fun for the older and out of print books, and I think its so interesting to watch how the prices fluctuate with supply and demand on amazon and ebay and Ive picked up one or two on etsy as well. If I owned a dollhouse shop I would have a library of books for my customers to borrow and get ideas and inspiration and info from. The more their knowledge grew and the more inspiration they had, the more they would purchase items, so that seems like a win/win to me.

I would also keep a customer email list so that I could inform my customers of sales and events happening in the area (shows,etc.), and maybe just send out a group email of tips and tricks every month or so.

I would have sales often...nowadays with the big stores giving away coupons for %40 off..and the economy the way it is..everyones looking for a good deal. Even if it was just "this month wallpaper is buy 3 get one free...every little bit counts and I think people appreciate that.

This is a given, but I would stay well stocked and learn as much as possible about my own inventory and whats available to purchase from artists.

I would talk to customers about their projects...not my own, unless asked.

I would have a HUGE do-it-yourself section...because I think most of us in this hobby are natural do it yourself types. I would stock clay,punches,kits,paints...etc.

I would dust my merchandise...no one wants to spend $50 on an item that looks like its been displayed for 40 years. Even if it has been displayed that long...theres no excuse for it to look like it has.

Anyway..these are just a few of my ideas...what are some of yours? or pet peeves you have when shopping in rl shops (without naming names of course)....just thought of one pet peeve...I hate to be followed around like Im going to steal something, that drives me crazy...Id rather have everything locked up than be under suspicion for the entire visit lol. Although I don't like it when everything is locked up either...there has to be a way to display items without having to worry about theft...security cameras maybe..not sure about that.

• Like 3

I went into a dollhouse shop where there were a whole bunch of items on STEEP clearance. Of course I picked up a few things there because of the great prices! Just little doodads that weren't even "real miniatures" per se. So a big clearance section right by the checkout would be a must.

I would love to come live in your dollhouse shop. Let me know when you open. :D Hee hee.

• Like 1

My favorite dh shop is Ron's inOrlando. Keeping stuff under lock and key protects it from more than a five-finger discount; as long as I can see it I can decide whether to bother the shopkeeper to unlock it for my closer perusal. In addition to books and magazines there is an extensive supply of DIY raw materials and kits, in most common scales.. DH & I already got bit with a retail bookstore, but if we're ever in your area you can bet I'll come shop with you!

• Like 1

Haha, well, this is strictly a fantastical day dream shop... But who knows, never say never :-)

Our local shop has a "thrift shop" with deep discounts and scratch and dent...love that!

Another thing I would do, is take a small kit...say the Buttercup or even the Primrose, so it didn't take up too much space...and build that kit @ least three times. Have each one sitting next to the other. One is the kit built without sanding/woodfill or paint. One is built with sanding/woodfill and paint, but still a basic build with minimum "extras". One is a full paperclay,window upgraded,electrified knock your socks off build. I think this would be really cool to demonstrate how the house can be made into whatever level you wish, depending on how much effort/time you want to put into it.

I would also sell "starter packs". Id put together a little kit of masking tape/woodglue/and other essentials. I would want to do everything possible to make the first dollhouse build experience a good one.

• Like 4

Lol...my husband has to hear about this all the time :) And I, in turn, listen to his dream of owning a sports bar someday. Maybe we'll do a combo sports bar/dollhouse shop, then the non dollhouse loving spouse/ significant other would have something to do while the other shops ;-)

• Like 2

I have four wonderful brick and mortar mini shops that I frequent regularly. In the past 20+ years I have shopped these shops I have never known one of them to ever have a sale of any kind. So having an occasional sale/discount coupon would be a real plus in my opinion.

Valerie

I have four wonderful brick and mortar mini shops that I frequent regularly. In the past 20+ years I have shopped these shops I have never known one of them to ever have a sale of any kind. So having an occasional sale/discount coupon would be a real plus in my opinion.

Valerie

Where!? I'm in Northern California too! I'd love to find a RL dollhouse shop nearby, and four of them would probably put me in a happy coma. Last time I checked Peg's was by appointment (which is fine cause she's great!) and there is the one in Novato that makes you join as a "member" before you can shop. Where are your four?!

Classes.......contests........and what about some sort of consignment? Have specific artisans that will stock with you and wait on payment. If you buy it from them you pay 50% of retail. If you consign it they get more. Like 10-20% more. You could also do special orders that way.

Also, ooak dh dolls.

• Like 1

I guess my ideal dollhouse shop would have all of the kits. I know they take up a lot of space but there is just something exciting about seeing all of the dollhouse kit boxes for sale. I would like to see a lot of aisles stocked with miniatures and not just the expensive kind but all kinds. I would like a components section with all the windows, doors, hardware, etc. A mini tool aisle would be nice too because you always need clamps and palm sanders etc for your projects. Would love to have a craft aisle with the glues, mucilage, etc. Its always nice to see some dollhouse models already assembled on display as well.

I like nice wide aisles and everything clean not the usual dusty and crowded dollhouse stores. Oh and I would love to see a display case with the fine "untouchable" minis inside. In other words, I want a dollhouse Walmart...lol

• Like 4

Lol...my husband has to hear about this all the time :) And I, in turn, listen to his dream of owning a sports bar someday. Maybe we'll do a combo sports bar/dollhouse shop, then the non dollhouse loving spouse/ significant other would have something to do while the other shops ;-)

Sounds like some serious thinking going on! While I would not want to operate a Brick and Mortar store myself if there were a RL brick/mortar store close by I'd want them to be open in the evenings and/or definitely weekends. I think offering workshops would be great. They could be short one hour workshops that teach you how to make a small item or do a step in some process and cost could be minimal like materials fee only. Periodic longer workshops would be something else to offer and these could be for greater cost with participants getting their materials and maybe be put on by a "visiting" miniaturist. Something like what is offered at a show.

If the shop was going to carry the smaller scales the ideal shop would offer more than a few items in each of the scales they carried. I think it's foolish to have an entire store filled with everything you could possibly want in one inch scale, and then just a meager shelf of half scale items. Online fulfillment would also be a must.

I don't really care if the items are locked up. I can look through glass and ask for help when I need it. High end jewelry stores don't leave diamonds out to be handled, so keeping the expensive and delicate things behind glass would be fine by me. Just make sure pricing is visible.

Frequent sales to bring me back. I agree with the others on this. New item announcements are good too! :)

Good luck with your store (if you do it)!

Classes.......contests........and what about some sort of consignment? Have specific artisans that will stock with you and wait on payment. If you buy it from them you pay 50% of retail. If you consign it they get more. Like 10-20% more. You could also do special orders that way.

Also, ooak dh dolls.

My first thought, too--workshops/classes and a meeting space for a club.

• Like 1

Not as serious a comment as the others above, but I would have a nice big live kitty as a mascot and customer greeter.

Joy made a great point. And that made me think of the wonderful artisan kitties and that made me think of a museum :) What about a miniatures museum room? Did someone already say that and I missed it 'cause I like that idea :) And what about out of date magazines? They can be so cheap on ebay. Having a good collection for consultation and sale would be wicked awesome :) And a work table for customers who need hands on help as well as classes. And of course to always have a project going.

Oh, I want this dream shop in my town! I truly would love every idea that has been suggested.

Mine would definitely have a place for workshops, like Morgan mentioned. I would love to be able to take classes from some of the many talented artisans out there, but I can't afford the whole "travel to a show/stay in a hotel for a week" thing.

I love Karin's idea of the library, too.

I guess my dream place is like a community center for miniaturists. A place to meet, share and maybe have some coffee on a rainy day. I know, I'm more of a dreamer than a business person. :)

• Like 2

Oh, and I would also offer classes for kids - maybe birthday parties and a place for scout groups, etc. to come and learn to make minis. It would be great to see this hobby continue in the next generations.

• Like 1

Oh, and I would also offer classes for kids - maybe birthday parties and a place for scout groups, etc. to come and learn to make minis. It would be great to see this hobby continue in the next generations.

I have had so much fun teaching mini classes on minis to children. I have already gotten my niece hooked. Classes for adults and children ~ maybe even some parent/child classes.

Wouldn't this store be so much fun to do? I wish I had the capital to start one here.

• Like 1

I hope y'all realize you're STILL describing Ron's.

:)

Also Miniature Designs. :) They have classes, are super friendly, have sales... They have a kids section, Melissa and Doug, etc to cater to the kids, and they have lots of artisan pieces.

They have lots of books, but I don't think they check them out, neat idea.

But my absolute favorite part, is that they get estate sale miniatures, and have a sale area with thsoe discounted items. Once a year they have a big yard sale, where people can bring in and basically consign items, and when they get in a big estate they will have a big sale for that too.