How would you run your own RL dollhouse shop?

WyckedWood

Cool ideas. I wonder what it is that makes those certain shops like Earth and Tree, Rons, and Shellie's on the west coast, the kind of shops that become such well known names in the industry. Is it the size of the store or its length of time in operation..wonder what makes the difference between them and the average dollhouse shop that you don't hear about unless you live in that town or see an ad in a magazine. It's something more than just ad placement.

I think part of it, at least for Earth and Tree, is visibility in mags (Tom and Kari had a column in American Miniaturist for a while). Not only that, they make their own line of dollhouses which are quite unique (and from my experience with them, well-buiit). Add that to having a store with lots of display space and regular classes, they have a pretty good model. I've also had nothing but good experiences while a customer in their shop. Kari is a very sweet lady and really knows this hobby.

• Like 1

Speaking Earth and Tree, one of the best things about them is their customer service. They're always willing to help you get what you want. The dollhouse I wanted only came one way - with built in siding, they were gracious enough to say they would make one for me with smoooth siding for no extra cost. The other thing is classes. They are offering summer workshop classes on the following dates for those of you who live in or are close to New Hampshire. You can sign up online, by phone or by mail:

WorkShop - Make Antique books

$25.00

Sunday June 23rd 12 - 4pm

WorkShop - Make a young Girl $50.00 Sunday July 14th 12:30 - 4:30 pm

WorkShop - Make an Older Women

$60.00

Saturday July13th 10:30 - 4:30

• Like 1

I have one local dollhouse store that I'd desperately love to give my business to, becauseI love to support local businesses. But almost everything in the store is covered in dust and there is very little of anything in stock. The owner was very sweet, but as she plainly told me, she doesn't have "that internet" so it was very difficult to talk to her about things I have seen or what I was looking to build.

I'd love a place that had a good selection of DIY materials, as well as classes with projects on a regular basis. I love the idea about making a kit 3 different ways to show what could be done with it. That would give beginners like me a great visual as to what and how to do it.

Christiane - I know EXACTLY which store you are speaking of!! Every time I go there, I leave thinking I should just ask her sometime if she is ready to retire and would she sell me the business?! LOL Then the entire trip home I am thinking about how I would re-arrange and upgrade her shop. ;)

• Like 2

Christiane - I know EXACTLY which store you are speaking of!! Every time I go there, I leave thinking I should just ask her sometime if she is ready to retire and would she sell me the business?! LOL Then the entire trip home I am thinking about how I would re-arrange and upgrade her shop. ;)

Haha! I've actually had the same thought! =) She's very nice, and I really wish I could patronize her business more.

There's so much space in there that it really could be a better store - it just needs a lot of freshening up. May I ask where you do your local shopping, since we're obviously somewhat close? Or is it all online?

• Like 1

Since all of the other mini shops have closed over the years, I mostly shop online and at the local mini shows and use the Lancaster shop as my "last resort/I need it right now" source.

• 4 weeks later...

I shop at a wonderful miniature shop in Chattanooga, TN called Innovative Miniatures. They have quite a large inventory and are now also selling on Ebay under the id of innovativeminiatures

They have some very nice items as well as all the typical components to finish dollhouses. They sell quality pre-built dollhouses, but do not sell kits. Their houses are ready to finish when purchased. They also have some houses that are already finished and ready to decorate and furnish.

Interesting story about how I found the shop. Back in 2002 when I decided to make the room box ( in my gallery) for my boss who was retiring, I somehow found the shop - don't remember how now, but I went there and met the owner. Her name was Elaine Banicki who has since passed away. Some on this group may have known her or recognize her name. She was truly an accomplished, talented miniaturist and did beautiful work. She used to have Brooke Tucker give classes at the shop. I did not get to do a class because I couldn't afford it. I think Elaine became a good friend of Brooke's.

In a building behind the store, Elaine had a remarkable miniature museum. I could not get enough of it. Every time I went, I saw things I didn't notice the last time. She had an entire room in the museum that contained a miniature city that she had purchased from the the family of the lady who created it and who had passed away. It was remarkable - many houses in a neighborhood, shops, people walking on the sidewalks, children playing the yards - a real site to see.

Elaine helped me with deciding on how to build my roombox and gave me lots of help and ideas on the Brooke Tucker method of building the box and I accomplished things I had no idea I could accomplish with her inspiration. She had a lady who worked in the shop helping her run the shop.

My roombox took much longer to build than planned due to taking lots of breaks from it due to family illness. Once I got back to the box in probably mid 2004, I had not been to the shop in several months prior and returned to purchase some supplies and again visit the meseum. I was totally shocked to learn that Elaine had passed away suddenly a few months earlier. The museum had already been dismantled and items on loan had been returned to their owners and the remainder of the entire museum had been purchased by someone who had/has (?) a miniature museum in Charleston, SC.

I was so sorry about Elaine's passing and was greatly disappointed about the museum and that I never got to visit it again. Elaine's husband, who had other businesses, decided to keep the shop open and the lady (Donna) who had worked for Elaine has continued to operate the shop. It is well maintained (no dusty miniatures!) with most items displayed attractively in glass shelves. it is open Wed - Sat.

Ebay has been a boost to the shop during the last few years of economic downturn. Elaine had stocked quite a number of quality miniatures, some which are still available in the shop and on Ebay.

This is not quite about how I would run a RL dollhouse shop, but is a bit of my experience with the only miniature shop near where I live. The next closest shop is 100 + miles, sand I am very glad this shop is still open and continues to be successful.

Renea

mygrommi

Renea, the mini shop in the Charleston, SC, area that I'm familiar with is Miniature Memories out on Folley Beach Road and I heard that Joan, the original owner, had passed away. She had been a good friend of Alice Zinn and had Alice's circus displayed at the shop, so I hope they're the ones who have the contents of the mini museum.

Renea, innovative miniatures (the shop you wrote about) on eBay is one of my favorite go-to sellers. They're still doing it right. Thanks for the interesting back story about this shop, I'm glad to know the history of it. Hope they stay in business for a long time.

• 1 month later...