Fairfield build questions (was: "fairfield foundation")

If you want clapboard siding that overlaps, skinny sticks might be tough because they're a bit thick. Also you don't want a seam in the middle of a siding board, so they might not be long enough to cover an entire wall.

I like the siding from Houseworks because you don't have to lay the strips individually. But if you don't mind doing that, Greenleaf sells half scale siding strips: http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Dollhouse-Half-Scale-Siding.html#

These seem short too, though. I'm not used to siding that looks like the picture, it looks more like a hardwood floor to me. On the plus side these would probably be easier to overlap than skinny sticks, and easier to cut.

I think so? But they're simple doors, just a piece of plywood that you have to glue in place or hinge yourself. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

If you want nicer working doors, you can get these, they should fit in the holes.

I used the punchouts for one side of the doors and cut a matching piece of 1/8" basswood for the other, and hinged them using my chamois strips. If you wanted to make paneled interior doors you could cut and glue 1/8" or thinner stripwood and smaller square pieces.

For the french doors it'd much easier to do it when the walls haven't been glued already! Then you just mark the size out that you want, with a sharp knife cut out the hole, and put your door in. Once it has already been glued together it'll be harder to cut the hole out. Might be easier with an electric saw of some sort, like a dremel, which won't take so long, but I'd just be careful!

No experience with trying to remove windows. If you used wood glue it'll be harder than if you used a glue gun (which you could probably carefully pry off), good luck.

With wood glue a narrow metal putty knife, a hammer and lots of spackle afterwards would be my recommendation. Timberbrook used to make 1:24 upgrade windows & doors for the Fairfield. I suppose you could try looking for them on Ebay; if it were me I'd try making my own (actually I used the kit windows on mine).

• 7 years later...