Fairfield build questions (was: "fairfield foundation")

The foundation is very easy to put together. Always remember to finish each area as you assemble because this dollhouse does have a lot of tight and inaccessible areas. You can find the Fairfield assembly blogged here on this forum and also in my dollhouse blog for more tips and step by step constructions pictures.

When you reply, there is a button in the lower right corner where it says "more reply options" push that and that is where you will find the opportunity to add a file to your post.
Hugs

• Like 1

I have taken a picture of the foundation of my Fairfield. Was taking with Chris holding it up in the air, so not the best ;)

I used masking tape to hold my foundation together while I tried it out before I glued it. You might want to try that if you haven't yet, might become clearer. Also remember that the good side of the wood is facing up, so you glue the foundation pieces to the wrong side, not the good side.

Rather than starting a new topic with each question you have about the build, it would be useful if you could post all the questions and updates in the same topic/thread. That makes it easier for us to follow your build without having to search around for the different topics, and it also makes it easier for future builders who might have similar questions if they are all in one place :)

post-2387-0-91043200-1368731799_thumb.jp

If you can post the picture, we can try and tell you if it is right :)

Click 'more reply options' and then attach the file (button below where you type. You have to click 'choose file' and then click on 'attach this file')

Reduce the size of the picture. If using MSWord -

1. Right click on your photo

2. Scroll down menu click on "Open with"

3. Click - Microsoft Office Picture Manager

Your picture is now open. On Menu bar

1. Click "Picture"

2. Click "Resize

Sizing menu opens

1. Click "custom"

2. Use "300" for pixel height and "300" for width.

Save photo. It's now small enough for Greenleaf.

I merged the two threads about the Fairfield foundation into one. As Muriel mentioned, keeping the conversation all in one thread will make it easier for people to help.

There are several long pieces for the chimney and fireplaces. I find that putting the kit together with masking tape, NOT glue, the first time, really helps me when it comes time to glue, because 1) I can see what I need to decorate before gluing together and 2) where I might have problems come up and 3) what I can change/ bash. I still had to take the rightside out Fairfield I built apart twice because of chimney issues and once because I thought I could install the front door before finishing the assembly on that front wall (I couldn't), and on the insideout version I still had chimney issues. Each time I laughed, walked away, had a stiff drink and putzed with needlework until I figured out the issue.

• Like 1

I keep all the pieces in their respective plywood sheets until I'm ready to use them. I study the schematics sheet, which shows which plywood sheet different pieces are in, and read the instructions over at least three times before I bigin to build, and then I start building using pieces of masking tape or painter's tape to hold the pieces together until I am sure I have the right pieces in their correct places. By then the kit has bwegun to tell me what it wants to be and how it wants to look, and I can study which parts I need to prep and finish before gluing together.

I just start building the fireplace my only problem is where do I find the long pieces that make the fireplace stick up. And where do I find that piece and what if by mistake I use that piece for the foundation

You may have to go back to your waste material like Holly said--one sheet at t time with the plans--and locate the pieces. If you DID use them for your foundation, use the blank spot in the waste wood to measure for another set of what you need, then find an edge of the waste and cut new ones.

• Like 1

You should also get one of the moderators to add this question to your original thread about the Fairfield Foundation. You shouldn't be starting a new thread very time you have a question about the same house or project. Otherwise you're going to flood the board with threads and none of the answers you get will be centrally located in the same place. Go back to the FF foundation thread that they moved for you (theyve already moved 3 threads) and continue your questions there. So far this is the 4th thread created about the same project.

Here is the link to the thread you should be using:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33500

• Like 1

One of the main reasons for keeping all your posts about a subject (like your Fairfield build) in ONE thread is that more people than any of us can shake a atick at read the forum for information and use the "Search" feature, and it's SO much nicer to have a feww pages of "Fairfield" topics to look through than dozens!

• Like 1

I merged the threads. Please keep your Fairfield build questions in this thread, and if you need help figuring out where to post you can send me a private message (just hover your cursor over my username, and then click the "send message" button).

As for the missing pieces - when I start building a kit the first thing I do is compare the sheets to the schematic and write the names of the pieces on the backs with a pencil. Then I don't pop the pieces out until I need them, but even if they get separated from the sheet too early I have a way to figure out what piece it's supposed to be.

Did you find your chimney pieces?

If pieces pop out of their sheets I stick them back in along with a bit of masking tape to hold them in place until needed. I also put the plywood sheets into numerical order in the box, to make them easier to find. You can go over the number on the sheet with a soft pencil or a Sharpie pen.

To add to the thread you've already begun click on it and go to the last post; below there is a "Reply to this topic: box where you can add another post.

• Like 1