Hi from Philadelphia!

Hi there, I am a new member of the community and the mini world in general!

I am on my second house and just bought a Greenleaf Brookwood. I have tons of plans for it however I will be very honest in saying that the kit is really intimidating...if anyone has any tips on prepping the wood components (is a wood primer necessary? does sanding help?) I would be much obliged! My first house was mdf and did not need much pre-work before I got to the paint and wallpaper so I am not really sure where to start.

I am enjoying all the gallery photos and looking at all your great work! It's lovely and a great inspiration to a new builder!

Thanks,

Erin

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie myself and this place has been wonderful for ideas, help, and inspiration!

And welcome to a fellow Pennsylvania-er! I'm not too far - in Lancaster!

• Like 1

Welcome Erin :)

Your questions are good first questions. Use the search feature on the forum to find countless answers. In short, sand where needed and seal everything you don't want to stain. If you search on here you will probably find all kinds of information specific to your kit. If you can't find a needed answer post a new topic and lots of people will be there to help.

Post lots of pictures and good luck!

Morgan

Welcome Erin,and like the others have said,you have found a great place to get any answers about dollhouses and miniatures answered and plenty of company to enjoy a wonderful hobby-an addiction for most,really! :D Kat

Hi Erin,

Welcome to the group! The Brookwood is a pretty house, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. What was the other house you built? I don't have a lot to add to the questions you asked. Sand, sand, sand and put on stain if you want the wood stained or a base coat of paint or primer if you want to paint or paper. Then dry fit before building so you can see how things fit together and see if you need to make any adjustments. Have fun with your build!

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Pennsylvanian! :salute: This is the best place for finding answers to our mini questions.

I am from the Lancaster area as well - and have 2 grown kids living in the Philly area.

Hi--It took me a while to figure out what the members meant by dry fitting--a large roll of masking tape is a handy thing to have on hand, so you can sand, fit the parts together hold them there with the tape, and figure out where your had won't fit after assembly so you can decorate before you glue.

Oh, yeah--welcome!

Welcome to the little family, Erin. Dry fit serves mini purposes; that's when the kit tells me what it wants to be (whether that's what I'd had in mind for it or not) and how it wants to look (the Magnolia was very adamant about becoming a Florida Cracker house with board and batten siding downstairs, beadboard walls inside, a tin roof and shingled second floor outer walls, and seashell tabby foundation and chimneybreast. I never know where a kit will go until I get the masking tape on it.