A Quilted House

I wanted to share this project that I made last year...still need to finish it up by adding the handquilting, but this was so fun. I designed my own house by making a hybrid of several patterns from the awesome book Houses of Cloth by Wendy Etzel. Btw...If you love houses as much as I do...but sometimes cant make the mess of building a dollhouse or dont have the space right away...this can be a very fun alternative:) It was creative in that I got to choose all of the fabrics...to represent stone, brick etc... Now when the book was written I dont think they had the myriad of fabrics that we do today (the author suggests hand dying for sky colors,etc) but now we have avavilable every kind of lanscaping fabrics you could want or need.

I selected the images for the cats,bats,wolves,ravens,ghosts and witches,trees,owl and gravestones by using google images....printing the images and making templates and appliques with freezer paper. The silhoutted shapes are all done in black velveteen fabric. The pumpkins are appliques taken from other fabric and the little spider who is being stalked by one of the black cats is a button.

Well, I just wanted to share this, hoping it might spark an interest to someone else that might enjoy it as much as I did...if u love fabrics and houses u will :)

• Like 7

Forgot to say....used laces and trims for gingerbread :) 3 of the Witches are flying home after an evening of flying around on a lovely clear moonlit night....while the three wolves are gaurding the house in their absence and howling out a greeting. One light was left on...perhaps one witch stayed behind to do some reading...

Thank you both, I have a book with patterns for those too Holly, I think it would be a great idea for a little one who is still too young for a wooden house. I also have patterns for small quilted houses which would be Christmas tree ornaments.

Thank you, the author of this book I mentioned had done a quilted replica of her own house and its dreamy. This one was inspired by the black Canterbury that I did a few years ago, thats why its a snowy scene. I hadnt really thought about trying the seahag but thats a great idea :-) I could even put it on an ocean cliff like I always dreamed :)

• Like 1

Karin, you could do one in mini to hang in the Sea Hag... (running off to hide).

Oh my...hmmmmm...:-)

Or .... you could do a quilted piece OF the Sea Hag and some of your other beautiful miniatures. That way, if you ever sold them, you would have a lasting accurate memory of them.

What fun-I love Halloween,so the 1st one is my favorite! I am definitely Not a quilter-that talent was given to my mom,who has gotten too old to do much,but she will love this when I show her!And,I agree that it would be so cool to somehow do an interior scene on the flip side!Thanx for sharing your talent and creativity Karin!