Bonding with my mom

gngrrng

When I was a little girl, my mom bought a dollhouse at a yardsale to build for me. I don't remember the name of the house, but I know it was a modern looking home from Greenleaf. For the longest time, the house got moved from place to place, unmade, because my mom had to work and raise us kids, so there was no time to build it. I don't remember when exactly my mom started to build it, but I do remember getting angry that it wasn't finished! My mom and I had a lot of ups and downs in my teen years, but one day I looked at the unfinished house and asked my mom if I could build the furniture. So began our nightly habit of sitting at the table, working on the house and furniture. And a wonderful thing happened. My mom and I started to really talk and communicate. That was the beginning of true friendship for my mom and I that continues to this day. Unfortunately, I no longer have that house, or the pictures of it, but I do have the memories. My mom has gone on to make two more houses, and I have gone on to make quite a few more. I will always think of my first dollhouse as my favorite, because of how God used it to draw my mom and I closer to each other.

• Like 12

And what a wonderful way He chose to do it! :) We've always said that the miniature hobby is a great stress-reliever and now we can add another benefit to it - a bridge between the generations :)

So glad you found, and joined, this forum. Are you still building houses? After you make 5 posts here on the forum you can open your own picture gallery - and show us some of your treasures.

• Like 1

Thank you CJ and Morgan! I am still building houses. Just last week I started building the Garfield and I came to this site to find help with some of the instructions. I am happy to say I am now halfway done with the foundation. I am really enjoying looking at the photos on here and seeing what other people have done with their houses!

What a wonderful memory for you! I am in the process of working on a log cabin with my niece - which is going very slowly because our schedules don't often mesh - but I'm hoping that she will have many fond memories of her first house like you do. I've already given dollhouses to my granddaughters & I'm hoping that someday when they are a bit older I will be able to share the love of building with them too.

• 9 months later...

That is a beautiful story, Ginger. I wonder how many families have bonded over a dollhouse or miniatures of some sort. There may be far too many untold stories out there but a lot of relationships that changed for the better.

• Like 1