Crestview dollhouse

WyckedWood

If all goes well...and I know with a craigslist find you can never really count on anything until its in your hands...but it looks like Monday I will be the proud owner of a Crestview :) Ive always thought it was a cool house...I have the MHM and QA (still in kit form)also from duracraft that are similar styles...Im thinking a theme of the 3 sisters:) Maybe with 3 sisters living in each of them, each with different taste and styles but the houses would be alike on the outside. Well, who knows...I wont presume to know what to do with it until I have a conversation with it :)

This is the info from the ad : "Beautiful three story dollhouse made from a kit and then customized with novelty siding and asphalt shingles. Light blue with dark blue trim. Custom stairs and railing inside. Not quite finished. You can put the finishing touches on it yourself. Email with questions or ask for pictures. 20x24x48 high."

:-)

Anyone know of pics or builds in progress/blogs for this house by any of our forum members?

• Like 3

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) It makes no logical sense for me to buy this house right now but I think its a well established fact around here that "logical sense" is not a factor in our decision making :)

Two things. I dreamed last night about a street of Victorian dollhouses. That's one thing. Second thing, right as I was viewing and preparing to email the owner of this house (literally) I got an email from Morgan titled "Crestview". No logical sense but perfect...because it seems meant to b... sense! And Morgan is one of those kindred spirits who...just knows things :)

• Like 1

Nope :) Don't know anyone :)

When I get to the next stage of my Crestview I will send you photos. Right now, it is missing all exterior trim (it all came off with not too much effort and nothing broke, one piece to mend from before I got it) and the tower roof. The shell has been painted brown and I am waiting for it to tell me how to trim it.

I can't wait to hear you got it. I really like this one. The re-hab is going faaaaaar faster than my Beacon Hill. Keep us posted Karin. The three sisters sound interesting. Perhaps each has a quirky eccentric quality that makes them different than the other two. One a crazy dollhouse lady (a perfect place for micro builds) another a crazy animal rescue lady (a place for ooak animals) and the other, more of a packrat with all kinds of stuff (a place for all your leftovers). Or something else entirely, but again, each the same, but different. Don't get me going. I'm too inspired here :)

• Like 2

Your ideas for your Crestview are inspiring too, my mind always jumps to certain things..mostly paperclay and then faerie..but I haven't done a painted lady type Victorian so Im thinking that might be the most interesting.

You guys-er gals,make me smile! :ohyeah: I hope you do the 3 sisters houses theme,Karin-what fun! I gotta say,I admire y'all so much! All these bigger houses intimidate me,here with my little Duracraft Ashley-still sitting there in dry fit mode cuz I'm kinda scared of it! :baby: But,back to your Crestview-the painted lady style is sooo cool and there's tons of color schemes to go with! Love it and am so glad for you! :clap:

• Like 1

Love this house! So pretty! I also like the three sisters' idea. Even if they are sisters, the houses may not necessarily look alike and could still each tell you different things. Haha. (I am thinking of my own sister for this - lol).

Congrats!

• Like 2

Rich sister, poor but too proud for charity from wealthy sister, eccentric artist sister. Hearth witch, green witch and ____ witch sisters...the wealthy sister would take occupancy in the MHM...just brainstorming:) a sea faerie a forest faerie and a ___ faerie...not that I have any space for any of these houses lol

Thank u all for the moral support and encouragement ;)

Karin~ I love the direction you're taking with this. What's three different things you would love to do in mini? Bring them together. I want another Christmas house. A Christmas Elf. Two sisters and a brother? A halloween house, that says witch whatever direction you choose. Thanksgiving.......fairy. Thanksgiving colors, autumn, Indian summer.....

My Crestview will probably be sold but I am thinking a combo of things I call bohemian but it's kind of a real life fairy castle thing. I can't wait to see what you do. Pleeeeeeze get your Crestview :)

I dreamed last night about a street of Victorian dollhouses.

Go for it !!!!

I have this crazy (by non-miniaturists standards) dream of 2 towns - one is a Tudor/Medieval setting and one is a Victorian setting.

Unfortunately this new Spring Fling has gone and upset the entire plan by not fitting into either of those towns. Go figure ...

Logic ???? not so much (except as it applies to getting things built sturdily), creativeness and artistic genius ??? yes that's what all GL'ers possess.

I like that idea Selkie, at our local shop there is a medieval town set up, it's really neat.

Morgan I can't wait to see this bohemian fairy castle of yours:)

One thing I can say I've always wanted to have a house that is unapologeticly pink...a painted lady in 5 shades of pink from blush to magenta. I think that would be really cool, not "little girl" looking but more painted lady looking. I really like the sort of farmhouse looking front porch, combined with the tower on this house. I think it calls for a lot of new exterior laser trim and the stairs will have to b taken out to apply wallpaper etc. I hope they aren't glued in.

• Like 2

I've always liked that house. It came out about the same time as the Newburg and the Queen Anne. Funny, the Newburg wasn't a house I ever thought would be popular but the Crestview and the Queen Anne are the ones that seemed to disappear - you don't see them too often at all.

I wonder if production figures exist anywhere? Dura Craft was in Newberg, Or. I have lived there, am currently near there and have been since '72. Our craigslist, Portland area, ALWAYS has Dura Craft houses available. Always. Yet I have never seen a Crestview. I am thinking not many were made.

That sounds really interesting Kelly, I would love to read that. I also lived in Newberg Or,mid 70's to mid 80s although never had any clue that they were producing dollhouses there. Sure wish they had sold the company and the plans to another manufacturer.

The QA is pretty rare to see...maybe once a month on ebay...but I only see a Crestview once a year maybe? and usually the box is thrashed. I did a google images search and can find exactly one Crestview which is the same one that's in our gallery. Only 4 pics of it. At least if I get this house I will fill up the gallery with plenty of pictures of it LOL,not saying they'll be anything worth seeing but they'll be there:)

Morgan...is there something not quite right about it? Like some design flaw that made it less popular? I wonder how it compared to the QA pricewise when they were in production. The only thing Im not crazy about is the bay window in the center of the house face. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in person, but Im thinking that may get re worked somehow? What are your thoughts about that window Morgan? Would houseworks windows work on a DuraCraft?

I have my windows off so will measure openings. I'm not sure what windows fit. As for reasons to manufacture only a few......I found one place where a slot seemed mis-positioned and the wall was dented in odd. We sliced it with a box cutter, pulled the wall out and I plan to reattach using trim. Otherwise, I LOVE this house. I know the middle window is odd but I love it too. Mine came off easy and is all hot glued. I plan to start over with it. I also am almost where I can send you photos of a brown shell. Maybe it will give you a different perspective. You have got to buy this thing.

Thanks for the info:) Im planning on it, the plans are all set and my husband is picking it up @ noon on Monday, but...I just don't want to jinx it...you know how things can be with craigslist. Im not anticipating any problems,but still knocking on wood :)

Thanks for considering taking measurements, I think the important one is how thick the wood is? Im not sure Ive never replaced windows before but I remember others having issues with it. GL houses aren't compatable with Houseworks because the wood is thinner? Someone let me know if Im wrong:)

I think "odd" seeming architectural elements and trims,etc are all part of the charm of a Victorian style..."why is that window right there?" sort of fits...of course Ive always been a big fan of Winchester Mansion in San Jose that has some truly odd and bizarre elements.

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/thehouse.cfm

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I guess if you wanted to add houseworks windows you would have to build up the layer of wood around the window somehow,with foamcore I guess.

I have one solid idea, I want the kitchen side window to become a screen door with steps leading down into an enclosed "breakfast/conservatory room" garden area. Ive always wanted to try an attached conservatory:)

• Like 1