Do you "collect" random craft supplies ?

WyckedWood

Morgan, in real life I collect rocks. Where ever I go, I bring rocks home. I would rather have a rock from where I've traveled than any other kind of memento. Poor DH knows we're going to have to lug rocks home if we are traveling by car. Little ones come home in my pocket if I travel by air.

I also collect musical instruments. I try to keep this one in check, but they just come into my life. Right now I have a piano, harpsichord (which my father built), two mountain dulcimers (one which my father built), my father's folk guitar, an acoustic/electric guitar, a steel string guitar, a flamenco guitar (my baby!), two mandolins,a concert ukulele, and a soprano and an alto recorder. See what I mean about hoarder?

When I built my first dollhouse a couple of years ago, I had this strong feeling that I was channeling my father and grandfather. I am loving building the houses and branching into furniture; I feel such a connection to these two men who I adored. My mother passed the love of fiber arts to me ~ and 'hoarding' craft supplies.

• Like 2

SO glad to hear that somebody else collects embroidery thread! I get most of mine from old craft kits from thrift stores. Since my favorite mini thing to do is to embroider or needlepoint rugs, curtains, throws, pillows, etc. for my dollhouse, I just feel that I need the little bits and lengths of different colors. Plus it is so fun to organize all the thread by colors!

• Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

Well I call it "collecting" because hoarding has gotten such a bad rap lately...for me its bottles of acrylic paint. Everytime I go to the craft store I buy a few colors for no reason whatsoever,and now have Rubbermaid towers full of paint....which is nice when I need paint but its really kind of getting to be out of control.

Fabric would be the next runner up , and when I was working at a dh shop I began a "collection" of wallpaper...at only two dollars a sheet, they were practically giving it away....

Does anyone else do this and what do you seem to collect the most of ?

There's a very big difference between having great supplies and hoarding. Hoarding interferes with life, is destructive and endangers health.

The more you create (pardon my word usage, lol) with a happy heart the healthier your spirit and mind are. At least, that's how I feel about the matter. I'm lucky enough to have considerable storage, so my crafts might 'drift' into my living space sometimes but that usually only during a flurry of creativity and once the project is done, it's tidy up and start anew!

• Like 1

Count me in! I have 40 years of stuff. I moved from one house to another about 15 or so years ago. It all came with me.....And if you put everything on the list that all of you have listed here, that wouldn't cover it...I am perfectly normal....So are all of you! It's not an addiction...I They are ALL things that we might need tomorrow, or the day after we throw or give them away!

• Like 3

Count me in! I have 40 years of stuff. I moved from one house to another about 15 or so years ago. It all came with me.....And if you put everything on the list that all of you have listed here, that wouldn't cover it...I am perfectly normal....So are all of you! It's not an addiction...I They are ALL things that we might need tomorrow, or the day after we throw or give them away!

We all know what you have Casey, We watch you clean your workroom every few weeks via blog :D

• Like 5

Oh, oh, I actually gave away part of my stash of yarn today!! A neighbor showed me some baby things she's making for an upcoming granchild and I asked her would she like some more yarn like that so she could make more. So I had the fun of unloading a big bag out of MY stash into someone else's stash, just as I've had big bags of stuff enter MY stash out of someone else's....It's just one big daisy chain. :)

• Like 4

SO glad to hear that somebody else collects embroidery thread! I get most of mine from old craft kits from thrift stores. Since my favorite mini thing to do is to embroider or needlepoint rugs, curtains, throws, pillows, etc. for my dollhouse, I just feel that I need the little bits and lengths of different colors. Plus it is so fun to organize all the thread by colors!

I organize my floss colors in gallon-size ziplock bags, if that tells you anything... Right now I'm working on using up yarn surplusses making 1:1 items.

• Like 1

I am in the minority over here because I am the opposite. I am constantly scaling down my craft supplies. The minute I see things piling up, I begin scaling them down, like paints. I tend to buy a lot of paints for a project and if I end up having a bottle or two left over, I immediately take them back to the store. The same with scrapbook paper, anything. I am always emptying my craft room closet and clearing it out. I only like keeping the supplies I can't assemble without, like my palm sander, sanding paper, adhesives, craft knife, etc. I am truly a minimalist in craft supplies. I blame my OCD.

I'm the same way, but it's pocketbook-itis. I have to keep the costs down.

• Like 1

Ditto to all the above. Today, I finally finished the school year and this weekend I am going to re-organize my workshop. The funny thing will be re-discovering all the treasures that I have collected (and the hard thing will be to remember what I had planned to do with it).

I have a problem letting go of scrap wood, I have bags of the stuff now - really need to stop messing around and get that cabinet put together before it starts looking like hoarderville in here.

• Like 2

Ditto to all the above. Today, I finally finished the school year and this weekend I am going to re-organize my workshop. The funny thing will be re-discovering all the treasures that I have collected (and the hard thing will be to remember what I had planned to do with it).

You just now finished the school year???

Yes, I'm with you all. Can't remember the last time I bought an item of clothing that I didn't really need, or shoes or make-up but my mini supplies habit fills those gaps and more. Favourites with me are wood strips and jewellery findings. I have a box full of jewellery findings and beads that is so heavy I use it as a weight to hold walls and roofs together while the glue dries.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm with you all. Can't remember the last time I bought an item of clothing that I didn't really need, or shoes or make-up but my mini supplies habit fills those gaps and more. Favourites with me are wood strips and jewellery findings. I have a box full of jewellery findings and beads that is so heavy I use it as a weight to hold walls and roofs together while the glue dries.

See, it's not hoarding. Those are multi-purpose findings! :D

I'm a hoarder.... for my shameful shame... especially since I'm planning for two new dollhouses... The Fairfield and the Lily...

There is no shame in hoarding so long as you can still get from one end of your house to another without danger of piles of stuff falling on you and killing you, and you can access the functional surfaces of all your furniture.

• Like 4

I am always checking the clearance section at craft stores! For some reason I have it in my head if its on clearance I will never see item again so I buy multiples! I have huge assortment of beads, ribbons, papers, wood pieces, xmas minis, unique minis, flowers, frames, and even hay!!!! Yep and do you think when I actually go to use item I can find it!!

• Like 1

Love craft stuff! It contains so much potential energy!

Yep, I have lots of stuff too, everything that everyone has mentioned (especially dollhouses!). Never a dull moment in my house. My kids actually told me the other day that there is no way they could be bored, there is too much to do! (they are all into crafting as well).

• Like 1

So the next time anyone is digging through their stashes trying to find something that they thought they had bought....but cant remember if they had bought it....or they already used it and forgot....or its not in this drawer ...maybe its in this cupboard............could someone have broken in and stolen it..........I know I meant to buy it...next time I go shopping I'll buy 5 just so I never have to go through this again...OH, here it is....I knew I had bought this....just smile, cause you know youre not alone!

• Like 6