Third day of cleaning out a double storage room -- Arrrrghhh!!!

Guest Happy Heart

Guest Happy Heart

There might be much donated but the garbage isn't allowed to accumulate in my home. A lifetime of sewing and crafts can lead to an over-abundance of favourite things, lol

Was making good progress till I knocked over a box with (not a word of a lie) several thousand buttons that 'plinged' and bounced their way off madly in all directions. Was easier to sweep them up, lol

Been reprioritizing for a while, was difficult at first but it's started to really take on new appeal.

Last week I unloaded-I mean,gave my sister a super huge box of odds and ends and some other junk-I mean secondhand stuff-for her yard sale. It had cluttered up the entire end of my trailer's kitchen/dining area for almost a year. My son then set up a makeshift table where he put a secondhand computer for me,which he had promised to do whenever we had space for it. Now I don't have to borrow his laptop,I can see out of my big window,work on my projects,and my sis made a few bucks that she badly needed! I know how you feel,Jean, about how appealing it becomes. So far we are not junking up the spot again and it is a pleasure to look out the window,which was all but ignored to avoid looking at the mess! Good luck and hope you finish soon.

Guest Happy Heart

Last week I unloaded-I mean,gave

:roflmao:

my sister a super huge box of odds and ends and some other junk-I mean secondhand stuff-

:roflmao:

for her yard sale ..... Good luck and hope you finish soon.

I'm not sure which did more good or which I needed more, the good laugh or the encouragement.

Thanks for both.

• Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

[[hugs]]

I spent almost every weekend in March, April, and May cleaning out the garage. Some of the stuff in there predated our moving into this house. Load after load to Goodwill and piles of crap on the curb every week. Hope you finish soon!

where IS your house? odd the garage wasn't empty before you moved in

neat nickname btw

Guest Happy Heart

If you were near me, I would gladly let you get to your minis while I cleaned out the storage room. I might be weird but I love clearing out stuff and a double storage room is bliss...lol

Not a chance, that's how thing go missing, lol

I once heard that a yard sale is nothing more than a way of distributing junk from one household to others, lol

Oh,My mother had the queen of yard saling as a best friend when I was in Jr. High,"Miz Ebby".She started my mother's there-after obsession with yard saling and hoarding so that much Mom has to yard sell it herself to make room for more (yard sale) junk! We loved that old lady,Miz Ebby,but she had a spare room that piled higher and higher with stuff every few months,until she had a yard sale. Then the very next weekend she was dragging Mom to another round of yard sales.etc.etc. God rest her soul,but cuz of that,when my mother passes on we are going to have the biggest mess to clean out-she keeps a clean house,but it's all crammed full into closets and drawers and cabinets and the 2 car garage-so much so that she had a carport built on to have a place to put her car,rather than get rid of all her stuff!! Yikes! I am bad,but not that bad!! Well,not yet,anyway....

Guest Happy Heart

Oh,My mother had the queen of yard saling as a best friend when I was in Jr. High,"Miz Ebby".She started my mother's there-after obsession with yard saling and hoarding so that much Mom has to yard sell it herself to make room for more (yard sale) junk! We loved that old lady,Miz Ebby,but she had a spare room that piled higher and higher with stuff every few months,until she had a yard sale. Then the very next weekend she was dragging Mom to another round of yard sales.etc.etc. God rest her soul,but cuz of that,when my mother passes on we are going to have the biggest mess to clean out-she keeps a clean house,but it's all crammed full into closets and drawers and cabinets and the 2 car garage-so much so that she had a carport built on to have a place to put her car,rather than get rid of all her stuff!! Yikes! I am bad,but not that bad!! Well,not yet,anyway....

I don't bother with yard sales, I do however sense an episode of Hoarders in your future, lol

• Like 1

[[hugs]]

I spent almost every weekend in March, April, and May cleaning out the garage. Some of the stuff in there predated our moving into this house. Load after load to Goodwill and piles of crap on the curb every week. Hope you finish soon!

I've moved into places where the previous tenant left things in the garage "cause the next person might need it." Old paint, toxics, junk...yea, thanks. :(

• Like 1

Well,now,she does keep the house presentable,nothing like the Hoarders show.But I guess you would literally call her a closet hoarder,because she has it all crammed and tucked away. Now,she isn't forgetful or senile and doesn't have lots of money-and she does shop at inexpensive stores for all that stuff. It's just the pure volume of it all! It's just sitting there,no use to anyone,just taking up space when she could get some extra to help pay her bills...Yikes!

Think how nice and organized the space will be when you finish. My crafty friend at work and I have been "sharing" our extras in the stashes since my 'heart event' last year to cut down on the stuff our kids will have to decide about. My daughter has threatened to have a bonfire from my woodshop. I have promised to haunt her. Nightly.

• Like 2

Guest Happy Heart

Think how nice and organized the space will be when you finish.

That's what helps me to keep going. It not only is good for your physical space, it's good for the mind and heart. I know I feel much calmer when the disorganization and useless items are gone.

Now, don't get the wrong impression either. All I'm coping with is clutter, which tends to happen when I'm in creative mode.

where IS your house? odd the garage wasn't empty before you moved in

neat nickname btw

TY :) It's a twist on the name of a quilt block (Contrary Wife)

I live in Kansas City. The house belonged to my in-laws. DH was storing stuff here after his divorce. Then when he moved into my apt he stored more stuff here. Then when his folks went to a retirement home they left about half their stuff here.... It's been a long road. We've been getting rid of stuff for years. DH is a packrat (not that I'm excusing myself) and literally just tosses things into unorganized piles. One of those piles had a vintage car under it. I'm proud to say that after 3 months of ruthlessly going through boxes that dated to the late 80's we can not only see the car, but take it out for a spin on nice days (like I did yesterday morning).

• Like 2

To cut clutter I've been trying to control the impulse of buying things I "might" need later, and buying only what I need for the present project (kits don't count). Of course, that means I have to wait sometimes for things to arrive, but at least then I don't have more stuff that I "might have needed" filling my storage drawers.

But since this is my "new" approach, I've got the built up stash to go through and thin out, hopefully before end of summer :lol:

Guest Happy Heart

I've moved into places where the previous tenant left things in the garage "cause the next person might need it." Old paint, toxics, junk...yea, thanks. :(

The old paint might be handy if you needed to touch up a wall, rather than try to match paint or repaint. Sometimes items are left behind by mistake, that's happened to me in several moves. The home I live in now, I can't seem to keep previous occupants mail out of and I've tried everything but BRING my home INTO the post office, lol

Think how nice and organized the space will be when you finish. My crafty friend at work and I have been "sharing" our extras in the stashes since my 'heart event' last year to cut down on the stuff our kids will have to decide about. My daughter has threatened to have a bonfire from my woodshop. I have promised to haunt her. Nightly.

That is too funny about the bonfire/haunting!!

Regarding downsizing before someone else has to do it for you is very thoughtful...I keep asking my folks to do the same with their place--just get rid of the stuff that doesn't have any meaning or use anymore--that is probably more than half of what they own--and maybe they could actually use a spare bedroom for guests instead of just as junk storage...

Tappy

• Like 1

Just a little reminder here - a true "hoarder" buys and collects anything and everything and stashes it everywhere. We are not hoarders - we just know that we need to buy things when we see them because they may not be available later :) I have been overwhelmed by PAPER in the last few months. I am now handling bills and paperwork for my mother and each little office visit or hospital stay incurs one tree's worth of PAPER! Every insurance company uses 5 sheets of PAPER to let me know that "This is not a bill. Please keep for your records." All of my stuff is online or auto-debit from the bank to the service-rendered people, but these medical and insurance people are driving me crazy! I have the vague recollection that the top of my desk has a brown wood finish on it. At the moment, I couldn't prove that!

DH and I were married first, then went to college together. We packed all our earthly possessions into one large suitcase (together, not each) and one small box of books. Forty-nine years later - he thinks we should still be able to pack up and move like that! :rofl:

• Like 2

Guest Happy Heart

Just a little reminder here - a true "hoarder" buys and collects anything and everything and stashes it everywhere. We are not hoarders - we just know that we need to buy things when we see them because they may not be available later :) I have been overwhelmed by PAPER in the last few months. I am now handling bills and paperwork for my mother and each little office visit or hospital stay incurs one tree's worth of PAPER! Every insurance company uses 5 sheets of PAPER to let me know that "This is not a bill. Please keep for your records." All of my stuff is online or auto-debit from the bank to the service-rendered people, but these medical and insurance people are driving me crazy! I have the vague recollection that the top of my desk has a brown wood finish on it. At the moment, I couldn't prove that!

DH and I were married first, then went to college together. We packed all our earthly possessions into one large suitcase (together, not each) and one small box of books. Forty-nine years later - he thinks we should still be able to pack up and move like that! :rofl:

Actually, true Hoarding is a mental disease where a person doesn't even throw out trash or pet waste. It's horrifying to witness.

We are AVID STORERS, lol

• Like 1

Amen,Tappy! All this talk and my own complaints about my mother have made me realize I really need to go through my stash again and downsize some more. I usually do it every 6 months or so,but may shorten that.So much of what I have is ''I'll make so- and-so one day",and that 'one' day turns into years! Can't fuss about my mom too much if I am not much better! Just cuz I think her stuff is junk and mine has a purpose...it would still be junk my boys will have to deal with if I don't put it to use soon. Look at the movement you have incidently spurred on,Jean! Love this forum! :chat:

Guest Happy Heart

Amen,Tappy! All this talk and my own complaints about my mother have made me realize I really need to go through my stash again and downsize some more. I usually do it every 6 months or so,but may shorten that.So much of what I have is ''I'll make so- and-so one day",and that 'one' day turns into years! Can't fuss about my mom too much if I am not much better! Just cuz I think her stuff is junk and mine has a purpose...it would still be junk my boys will have to deal with if I don't put it to use soon. Look at the movement you have incidently spurred on,Jean! Love this forum! :chat:

yeah, I'm starting to get nervous about what I've started, lol :ohmy:

don't think of it as 'letting go of your stash' think of it as 'crossing projects off your to-do list', what spurs me on is watching an episode of Hoarders, "There but for the Grace of God, go I"

they mightn't have gotten done, but they ARE off your list, lol

• Like 1

When my mother knew she was terminal she instituted a rule that if we borrowed something (like the card table and chairs) we not only had to keep that item, but take 2 more with us. My brother & I got the things we used, and we had a lot less to go thru after she died.

• Like 2

When my mother knew she was terminal she instituted a rule that if we borrowed something (like the card table and chairs) we not only had to keep that item, but take 2 more with us. My brother & I got the things we used, and we had a lot less to go thru after she died.

What a smart and thoughtful lady!